Kostya Tszyu: Retired or Returning???

Remove this Banner Ad

Anti_Gravity

Debutant
Jul 18, 2006
Essendon
AFL Club
St Kilda
As a boxing follower i'm curious as to the plans of our champion Kostya, obviously i'm not a huge fan as i'd probably already know his intentions. Can anyone fill me in? Also i would like to hear opinions on whether he should he keep fighting or retire. :thumbsu: :thumbsdown:

Should retire, imo the best boxer Australia* has ever had. Would hate to see him get really hurt now that his best is well and truly past him.

Absolute warrior.

Your probably right, although it's a shame. Watching his 'destiny' dvd last night made me realise how good he is/was.

Anti_Gravity said:
Your probably right, although it's a shame. Watching his 'destiny' dvd last night made me realise how good he is/was.

Not just in the ring, but in a sport where there's so many who talk utter sh*t and then put in lack lustre performances, KT was humble, modest, but most of all - the best boxer in the most competitive weight division in the world, all without mouthing off.

I think that's the reason he was adored and supported worldwide, just a caring, nice fighter from australia. He had a brilliant quote last night which i cant remember exactly, something along the lines of "an opponent who tries to mentally psych me out shows his weakness, and i realise that now he can be beaten mentally"

From memory Ricky Hatten destroyed another opponent in the US recently. Kostya needs to avoid Hatten at all costs.

The one fight which could draw another big pay cheque is a rematch with Zab Judah. Zab wants that match badly but Kostya would still take him out. Only problem is Zab was a bit suspect in a recent fight so the appeal and drawing power for a rematch may not be huge anymore.

A Kostya/Zab rematch would draw my attention and money. The last fight they had resulted in myself, and friends dancing on couches and getting rather vocal, very similar to the Australian games in the world cup.

But, Kostya is now older and probably past his best, whilst Zab is still very young and agile. Would Tszyu just do it for the money and give Zab the respect...i dont think so.

Kostya is still a very good fighter, well within the top 10 in his weight division in the world....Zab is a good fighter but terrible boxer, he lacks alot of polish and has nothing on Kostya, physically or mentally....If there was another rematch it would be awsome, but feel Kostya would have the upper hand again!

I would like to see kostya beat zab again, felt so good last time, why not again?
But i would also like to see him deny zab's challenge, due to the scene he made last time they met.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
From memory Ricky Hatten destroyed another opponent in the US recently. Kostya needs to avoid Hatten at all costs.

The one fight which could draw another big pay cheque is a rematch with Zab Judah. Zab wants that match badly but Kostya would still take him out. Only problem is Zab was a bit suspect in a recent fight so the appeal and drawing power for a rematch may not be huge anymore.

Hatton won a unanimous decision over Luis Collazo for the WBA 147 welterweight title. Some had Collazo ahead and Luis finished the stronger fighter, Hatton looked totalled at the end of the fight and was lucky to escape, Hatton got hammered in the 12th.

Youve all forgotten that Judah was suspended for a year after the Mayweather fight for the brawl caused by his corner, he cant come back until April next year.
Judah has lost to Baldomir (which hasnt looked so bad since Baldomir beat up Gatti) and Mayweather since anyway, and with a year off is hardly likely to make a really big pay day,

Kostya has always said he wont fight at 147lbs so unless Hatton comes back down a division a rematch is unlikely.
(Hatton fights former Tszyu victim Oktay Urkal in Dec)
The biggest fight @140 that he could make would be with either Jose Luis Castillo or Miguel Cotto both of which would be sensational fights.

The fight I really wanted to see was Tszyu VS Gatti at Madison Square Garden.

Would be an absolute bloodbath I reckon. Plus everyone in NYC already dislikes Kostyz to some extent because of the Judah fight, if he took down America's favourite Canadian (I have no idea why but New Yorkers apparently just LOVE Gatti) as well - would be an awesome fight but it would have to be for a title I reckon.

andrewb94 said:
Hatton won a unanimous decision over Luis Collazo for the WBA 147 welterweight title. Some had Collazo ahead and Luis finished the stronger fighter, Hatton looked totalled at the end of the fight and was lucky to escape, Hatton got hammered in the 12th.

Youve all forgotten that Judah was suspended for a year after the Mayweather fight for the brawl caused by his corner, he cant come back until April next year.
Judah has lost to Baldomir (which hasnt looked so bad since Baldomir beat up Gatti) and Mayweather since anyway, and with a year off is hardly likely to make a really big pay day,

Kostya has always said he wont fight at 147lbs so unless Hatton comes back down a division a rematch is unlikely.
(Hatton fights former Tszyu victim Oktay Urkal in Dec)
The biggest fight @140 that he could make would be with either Jose Luis Castillo or Miguel Cotto both of which would be sensational fights.
Thanks Andrew. I found a good write-up of the Collazo fight and it appears his camp are now more wary of him fighting at the 147 level.

http://www.rickyhitmanhatton.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7987;start=0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back