Opinion Kreuz - A new dawn or dusk fast approaching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought Kreuz had a reasonable year last year - the main positive was that he was relatively injury-free. The question is, will 2016 act as a launch-pad for one or more, dare I say, stellar seasons to come? Is it more likely that 2016 is as good as it will get for Kreuz from now on? The old question keeps popping-up: is he capable of competing on a regular basis with the new-age ruckmen? Is his only long-term salvation up forward? Can he be more productive than Casboult as a forward? Why do we play with two full-time ruckmen?

Personally, I would love to have Kreuz's head on Korcheck's body - that would be something!

I thought Kreuz had a reasonable year last year - the main positive was that he was relatively injury-free. The question is, will 2016 act as a launch-pad for one or more, dare I say, stellar seasons to come? Is it more likely that 2016 is as good as it will get for Kreuz from now on? The old question keeps popping-up: is he capable of competing on a regular basis with the new-age ruckmen? Is his only long-term salvation up forward? Can he be more productive than Casboult as a forward? Why do we play with two full-time ruckmen?

Personally, I would love to have Kreuz's head on Korcheck's body - that would be something!
I think it points to the beginnings of an uptick; he played through injury for nearly 2/3rds of the year.

He's no guarantee to even be our #1 if Phillips improves as expected.
I'm genuinely curious as to what evidence there is of this, other than a bunch of Carlton supporters holding each other through the night

Uninjured, we'll get what we've always got. A 200cm workhorse ruckman who's terrific below his knees at stoppages, takes the odd mark and kicks the odd goal.

....but also a guy who never squibs, complains or gives up and player who , I believe, is well respected by the players and coaches. He's a leader by deed. Really glad he's with us.

Huge question marks over whether he can be a dominant ruckman, even if he gets an injury-free run at 2017. He's no guarantee to even be our #1 if Phillips improves as expected.

I think he'll share duties pretty even with Phillips.

They are a good combination. Their skill sets compliment each other. Phillips the taller centre bounce type and Kruezers tge more mobile at ground level.

I'm genuinely curious as to what evidence there is of this, other than a bunch of Carlton supporters holding each other through the night

Not sure about holding each other through the night part but I agree based on available evidence. Phillips has perhaps shown to be a better mark but he gets to less contests and doesn't do as much around the ground. I think others see his athleticism as a key difference but it hasn't done much for him to date . .. he is 25 after all.

Kreuzer has the better pedigree, he just needs a run with no injuries. Phillips is no Jacobs but we still hold out hope.

I'd take a punt on Olango late in the draft.

If relatively injury free, would expect kreuzer to improve upon 2016 - which would make 2017 off season interesting -> 2 uninterrupted years might entice a few big offers from other clubs

Not sure about holding each other through the night part but I agree based on available evidence. Phillips has perhaps shown to be a better mark but he gets to less contests and doesn't do as much around the ground. I think others see his athleticism as a key difference but it hasn't done much for him to date . .. he is 25 after all.

Kreuzer has the better pedigree, he just needs a run with no injuries. Phillips is no Jacobs but we still hold out hope.

I'd take a punt on Olango late in the draft.

Wondered if we'd punt on a young "project ruckman" somewhere late in this draft? Hoping also that Korcheck might step up a bit more this coming year and play well for the NBs. I still think Nth Melbourne have the best model: mobile ruckman (Goldstein) with a tall forward who can give him a chop-out (Brown); Goldstein has of course proven to be an extremely resilient, tireless workhorse who is also very good around the ground! Not sure if we can implement that model with what we have? Big risk though - North so lucky that Goldstein has played virtually injury-free for so long!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God I wish Matty enjoyed hurting people more, Mumford style.

Yeah, "the tractor" starting to look a little bit old Massey-Ferguson rather than one of those new, big, shiny John Deere's! Worry about Matty now when he clashes with someone - poor bugger has done it tough and now looks like he needs an AFL-approved bubble-wrap suit to help lengthen his career!:D

This year's draft has ample supply of midfield talent , I'd replish in a big way , especially traits like footy IQ , kicking skills, good endurance and postive character, for first three rounds.
Rounds 4, 5, 6 can be speculative hopefully and we land a gem amongst the three.
Apparently 2017 draft projects with an abundance of high quality KP talls and ruckmen so perhaps I'd wait until then for a Ruckman?
Go Baggers

This year's draft has ample supply of midfield talent , I'd replish in a big way , especially traits like footy IQ , kicking skills, good endurance and postive character, for first three rounds.
Rounds 4, 5, 6 can be speculative hopefully and we land a gem amongst the three.
Apparently 2017 draft projects with an abundance of high quality KP talls and ruckmen so perhaps I'd wait until then for a Ruckman?
Go Baggers

You mean we're going to have to wait 199,690 years before we can bolster our midfield in the 201706 draft?:eek::D

Oh you know, not really much, other than him being a very good ruckman on the upward curve of his development.
I asked for evidence, not an opinion, but this really isn't the thread for this anyway. Suffice to say he's got a lot of work to do if he wants to be an AFL ruck beyond 2017.

There's always next year.

Would you believe we haven't drafted even one ruckman in the national draft since 2007 when we took a young man named, wait for it... Kreuzer?

Kreuzer, Phillips and Casboult collectively don't kick enough goals. If we had actually been in the business of winning games, we'd have restructured in the second half of the season.

As soon as McKay gets a gig, only 1 of the above 3 will play weekly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back