Kristian Who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagle_Fan

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2000
Wooshaville
AFL Club
West Coast
I read somewhere recently, that Kristian Bardsley used to be on the Kangaroos list, and when he was, went by another surname. Is that true? Why would he change his name, when what recruiters have heard and said about you can be so important to a young players career? Obviously it wasn't marriage or divorce.....

Anyway, it's got me really curious. Could any of you help me out?

Eagle Fan, that is an interesting question.

The only thing I know is that he went by the surname "Anning"

I THINK he was Kristian Anning at the Kangaroos, when / why he changed his surname I have no idea.

Gary Ablett ended his promising career with a cowardly attack which cost Ablett 5 or 6 weeks & ended Bardsley's career.

Savatage,

Speaking of the Ablett/Bardsley incident, I know Geelong supporters who strongly believe that the way in which Bardsley attempted to tackle Ablett was the reason for the incident to arise.

Sorry to say cat fans (who will more than likely not read this post anyway) but as much of a champion as Ablett was on the field, he was a thug - both on and off the field.

Yes Sainter.

I remember the same thug decking Burke & Grant in the '91 final in the first quarter. We ended up losing by 8 points.....

As good a player as Ablett he was a thug all right.

Anning if i remember rightly was Kristians biological father. Bardsley was the surname of the man who rasied him and who he called his 'real' dad and when he was old enough, in recgonition of that and as a token of, i would surmise, respect and love for who he considered his 'real' father, changed his name by deed poll.

There was an article or some such about it in the papers at the time. If any of the details are incorrect i apologise, but thats pretty much how i rememeber the story going.

Hope that helps.

Grendel:

Thank you very much, your info was sensational & I reckon that would sound about right. I was wondering for a fair while about Bardsley's reason.

Thanks Grendel!
biggrin.gif

Glad someone could relieve my curiousity...

Pretty good reason to change your name too, in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back