Player Watch Kudos Kade Simpson

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Going to commit blasphemy here, even though the blues are our truest arch enemy (the tiges and the bombers just as close) I have to pay homage to Kade:

Congrats mate on a wonderful career, a true defensive warrior who you could never question his effort. Mostly outsized with height and frame but it never mattered, always head over the ball. A contested animal who was probably under rated for his 'quaterback' abilities.

More than certain it'll give confidence to budding youngsters who aren't blessed with the size of most AFL standard footballers.

Discuss.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Congrats mate on a wonderful career, a true defensive warrior who you could never question his effort. Mostly outsized with height and frame but it never mattered, always head over the ball. A contested animal who was probably under rated for his 'quaterback' abilities.

Agree, great career and so courageous. One of the good guys of the AFL. Well played. I could be saying the same about Kreuzer, just a shame for him his career seemed to be blighted with injuries.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When i think of some of the players going on next year (no names mentioned) it genuinely shocks me Kade Simpson is retiring
even in last nights game he was more than respectable, great career. Ken Hunter and Kade Simpson when you think of quality
slightly built Carlton half backs.

I liked him as much as it is possible to like a Carlton player. A true clubman and as the OP said, a shining example of why recruiters should look beyond the body type.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Gun. Would have achieved plenty of success at any other club.

Only Carlton bloke I think I can say I’ve seen in recent times that gave 100% every game. Never shirked a contest. Always got in harms way to save the team.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just hope he’s not the last of a dying breed , always seemed to be about more than money or fame for him

Loyalty isn’t a dirty word kids

Hope he has a great life after footy

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

While we're bringing up random morsels of history involving Kade Simpson:
Simpson was involved in two finals wins for Carlton during the 2010s. One of those was in 2013, which was a game Carlton only played because Essendon were kicked out.
The other was in 2011 which was against Essendon.

How many vets on Essendon's list have won finals?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
For a welterweight, he was one of the bravest players I seen. The amount of times he got hit hard and you thought to yourself "he's not getting up from that" and then there he was brushing it off . . . it's a testament to his character.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
When i think of some of the players going on next year (no names mentioned) it genuinely shocks me Kade Simpson is retiring
even in last nights game he was more than respectable, great career. Ken Hunter and Kade Simpson when you think of quality
slightly built Carlton half backs.
You don't need to press the Enter key
before you get to the end of each line.
You can just keep typing and the web browser
will create a new line automatically for you.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Such a warrior. Ferocious, always uncompromising. A great kick too. You know he gave it his all for the 342 games he played.
What folly is that he came into a strong traditional Carlton football club that suddenly underwent their worst period in their history due to no fault of his own.
342 games and where does he rank amongst Carlton’s greats? He often had to lift Blues across the half back while completely annihilated. Unfair assessment on his career given he hardly made finals. Just a shame the conceding of his and Carlton’s fortunes.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Evergreen clubman.

However my overriding memory of him is being annoyed that he beat Adam Selwood to the 2008 Stynes Medal. It was deserved, but he was probably the least credentialed player at the time to have won it (and not one of Carlton's stars at the time), and a bit like Redden in the 2018 Ayres Award votes it was a near-miss for a decent but non-star Eagle to get some recognition (Adam was one of our consistent best in the 2008-09 period).

Back