Toast Kudos To Brad Scott Thread !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure you're watching the same team - last year without injuries we had our best side, we went 9-0 but the only decent win we had was over the dogs, where we were defensive, and slowed and controlled the game to go on our terms. We barely got over the line against the dees and saints, and all this was due to our experience with smart structuring and winning the contested ball. When the ball was on the outside and they were rebounding, we had no hope except they may make a stupid skill error or decision which fortunately they did. Our pressure was what made our wins happen because it was the only way were could bring these more skillful side down to our level, and make it congested. It was even obvious against essendon*, there young talented kids were taking us on and winning in the second half, it was so cringe to watch.

Talent wise we had F-all. Our WHOLE midfield never get consecutive games were they get 30+ possies, other teams have mids that get this in one player!
Nah I was talking about the other team that wears royal blue and white vertical stripes. o_O

I was clearly referring to 2014 and 2015 in my posts, particularly 2015 where our list was probably at it's peak, with old guys still contributing, not declining, after having topped up with class in Waite and Higgins. In these years we definitely had the talent on the list to snag a flag imo, demonstrated by our ability to beat good sides and win finals against good sides, but our inconsistent performances in the H&A season stopped us from giving ourselves the best chance at one by finishing in the top 4, the fault of which almost exclusively lies with the coach imo, whose job it is to keep the players focused and ensure they don't become complacent.

2016 we were on the decline, despite our positive start with the older guys not hitting their previous heights and, granted, injuries playing a role in our second half of the season.

Nah I was talking about the other team that wears royal blue and white vertical stripes. o_O

I was clearly referring to 2014 and 2015 in my posts, particularly 2015 where our list was probably at it's peak, with old guys still contributing, not declining, after having topped up with class in Waite and Higgins. In these years we definitely had the talent on the list to snag a flag imo, demonstrated by our ability to beat good sides and win finals against good sides, but our inconsistent performances in the H&A season stopped us from giving ourselves the best chance at one by finishing in the top 4, the fault of which almost exclusively lies with the coach imo, whose job it is to keep the players focused and ensure they don't become complacent.

2016 we were on the decline, despite our positive start with the older guys not hitting their previous heights and, granted, injuries playing a role in our second half of the season.

Not sure how much more a early/mid 30's player could decline in 6 months but perhaps the 'under-performance' of 2014 and '15 seasons was then due to the older guys not producing week in week out? and 2016 was the tipping point? i still think you're clutching at straws there.

Even in '14 and '15 i could still easily name 6 more talented teams than north in both those years. I think you're over rating our talent by underestimating the pressure we bring teams down to a less skillful level.

Not sure how much more a early/mid 30's player could decline in 6 months but perhaps the 'under-performance' of 2014 and '15 seasons was then due to the older guys not producing week in week out? and 2016 was the tipping point? i still think you're clutching at straws there.

Even in '14 and '15 i could still easily name 6 more talented teams than north in both those years. I think you're over rating our talent by underestimating the pressure we bring teams down to a less skillful level.
Really? Almost every player who declines after 30 says that the end comes much more rapidly than they could believe. I believe Brad Johnson said he went from playing good football to struggling in the same season. So it's more than feasible that our 30+ players could decline from one season to the next. In fact, there is probably no better example than Drew Petrie, who was still good in 2015 but obviously struggled last year.

Again, there were various performances throughout 2015 and 2016 against the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney, Freo and WC away etc that proved we could match it with the best, yet our coach couldn't instill consistency from week to week and keep the players from becoming complacent against poor sides, ie Gold Coast. There were plenty of times we 'out-footballed' sides and I completely reject the notion that we only beat them by bringing them down to our level.

Really? Almost every player who declines after 30 says that the end comes much more rapidly than they could believe. I believe Brad Johnson said he went from playing good football to struggling in the same season. So it's more than feasible that our 30+ players could decline from one season to the next. In fact, there is probably no better example than Drew Petrie, who was still good in 2015 but obviously struggled last year.

Again, there were various performances throughout 2015 and 2016 against the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney, Freo and WC away etc that proved we could match it with the best, yet our coach couldn't instill consistency from week to week and keep the players from becoming complacent against poor sides, ie Gold Coast. There were plenty of times we 'out-footballed' sides and I completely reject the notion that we only beat them by bringing them down to our level.

you're picking and choosing a bit there with the older players, boomer hardly dropped off and he was the oldest of the lot of them!

you're not going to change your mind due to the fact you're not really providing me many facts other than saying 'we matched it with the best' - we did, but like i've said before, that was due to our congested ball and pressure, not because of talent. We Matched it with the best but rarely convincingly beat the best. Just think how much better the 2015 prelim team would have been with some proper talent like wells and kelly running off the wings and wood replacing petrie.

I tell you what.

Watching that footy classified interview with Brad the other night, there's no man I'd prefer to be at the helm for the next few years. Give him another 3 or 4 years and see where he can take this team.

What he said about teaching the younger guys attacking style of footy first, then comparing to Carlton couldn't be more true. It'd be pathetic watching us kick 6 goals a game and the contest being really scrappy with players rarely breaking the lines. We are exciting and the future really is bright.

I often joke around throwing up a few sack Scotts here and there, but this man loves our club and as he put it, if he wanted to have job security he'd have Drew, Dal, Boomer and Spud still on the list. As far as coaching and lost management goes, high risk high reward, all in.

If you can't deal with a few losses this year and can't see positives in every game, then GAGF and support GWS. This man is building something special, not for the next two years, but for the next decade.

If you can't deal with a few losses this year and can't see positives in every game, then GAGF and support GWS. This man is building something special, not for the next two years, but for the next decade.

I'm not so sure about the coach, but I will say that currently this is the deepest collection of quality youth we have brought through since Longmire/Carey/Schwass/Stevens/Scholl/Rock etc. debuted pretty much at the same time in the late 80's.

I'm not so sure about the coach, but I will say that currently this is the deepest collection of quality youth we have brought through since Longmire/Carey/Schwass/Stevens/Scholl/Rock etc. debuted pretty much at the same time in the late 80's.

Big call there Snake.

The Petrie, Rawlings, Spud, Hale, Hamish, Harris, CJ, D. Motlop, Sinclair, Pratt, J.Gibson et al batch was decent.

Then there was the Hansen, Goldstein, LT, Tarrant, Grima, Thompson, Adams, Greenwood group.

Then the Ziebell, Basti, Cunnington, Wright, MacMillan, Atley, Mullett group - I recall you really rating the 2009 intake.

Hopefully you're right but will be interesting if the current group do prove to bat deeper than the above ones.

I tell you what.

Watching that footy classified interview with Brad the other night, there's no man I'd prefer to be at the helm for the next few years. Give him another 3 or 4 years and see where he can take this team.

What he said about teaching the younger guys attacking style of footy first, then comparing to Carlton couldn't be more true. It'd be pathetic watching us kick 6 goals a game and the contest being really scrappy with players rarely breaking the lines. We are exciting and the future really is bright.

I often joke around throwing up a few sack Scotts here and there, but this man loves our club and as he put it, if he wanted to have job security he'd have Drew, Dal, Boomer and Spud still on the list. As far as coaching and lost management goes, high risk high reward, all in.

And to think he took a club on the brink of relocation to a club that made two prelims and participated 4 times in the finals. Started with a list that had so many holes and problems that just needed patience to fix. I have been really critical towards Scott in the past but * he transformed a team that was lacking class and belief into something that troubled top 4 teams for years. And to see that the club has made record numbers in members demonstrates success.

2015 was the pinnacle of Scott's coaching. Transforming Tarrant into a gun defender, restoring Goldstein's confidence, beating *Essendon twice, beating Freo, beating Swans (AWAY) and Tigers (did they find Trent?) in finals etc. Made the resting call for our best players to get em ready for finals. Got us to a prelim from 8th (first club to do so under the current AFL Finals system) and almost pulled off a miracle against a strong WCE side (that had a week off) after keeping them GOALLESS in the first quarter. We will never know whether we could have made it because of the umpiring on the night but * we were so close and so proud of our boys. Smiles were plenty on the BF board for once.

The first half of 2016 was full of excitement, brilliant start with wins against formidable sides like Adelaide and the Bulldogs but suffered too many injuries to sustain the stellar form. Made the hard call on senior players to allow the club to get some experience into future younger players. Knew that the current team at the time was not up to it anymore.

Received an outcry from neutrals and supporters after the announcement and the club was under immense pressure this year, but to see EVW and other new players actually play well, it demonstrates how much effort Scott had applied for almost 8 years. To witness a club experience success and then STILL be competitive after losing 1400 games of experience immediately indicates how well Scott had prepared for the worst and the best. We are in a much better position compared to other teams that have been at the bottom for years and still sit there.

The interview proved to me that if Scott was ever going to make an exit, he would leave a list that he would 100% know that can achieve some form of success. Not the list he started with in 2009-10.

He isn't perfect, but FFS we can't always be critical of him.

Onwards and upwards in 2017 and the future.

Fun Fact: Didn't know this thread still existed lol. The Bye Bye Brad Thread has been receiving a lot of attention lately (unsurprisingly).

Go North.

Last edited:
Then the Ziebell, Basti, Cunnington, Wright, MacMillan, Atley, Mullett group - I recall you really rating the 2009 intake.

Hopefully you're right but will be interesting if the current group do prove to bat deeper than the above ones.

Every one of them is still playing AFL and 5 out of the 6 remaining at North are in our best side.

I'm a better judge than I thought.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had the brazen bits in those last 10 minutes....and rightly so.

Some of these blokes have Daniel Wells disease.
Watch the replay and have a look at him in the box and have a go at lip reading what he says. You can clearly see him say we have a lot of dumb footballers and something like no wonder the supporters get frustrated.

Watch the replay and have a look at him in the box and have a go at lip reading what he says. You can clearly see him say we have a lot of dumb footballers and something like no wonder the supporters get frustrated.

giantroo has some new material there.

They are clueless when to do the team thing and when to do the individual thing...at the cost of the whole team.

No wonder he says they don't do as they are told...its for all to ******* see!

I was going to say the same thing.........he did say Dumb footballers looking back at one of the support staff behind him.
And rightfully so, ball is our forward line and continually turning it over with fast attempted entries that go astray was stupid football.

Oh boy wowee was Brad pissed off in the box. Good. I think hes getting jacked off at covering some players publicly only to be let down constantly on game day. Drop them Brad until they learn.

Thought he was solid tonight but would have preferred harder questions on the underperforming players.

I just get this feeling based on what he says that he will leave before his contract is up - he just seems like he knows 8 years is a long time and maybe a new voice might be the way to go at some point.

I really hope he can be the guy that brings us back though - he genuinely loves our club.
Especially now that Clarkson and Longmire are a lot more gettable

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back