Toast Kudos To Brad Scott Thread !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the advice, but I'm good. You surely realise that there are many people that read your posts and you are an acknowledged expert in the facts-and-figures area. No need to be falsely modest about it.

On Brad, I am about the same as you describe above. Though I'd be happier for me than him if he were to win us one.

My point was in relation to the way you posted the irrefutable fact, not giving full context for the comparison and teaming it with the double kudos and double hilariousbrad.jpg. It's just further fuel for the haters, notwithstanding you say it's not damning for Brad - they will happily interpret otherwise.

PS - it's a little mischievous to compare my point about higher finishes to premiership years. I was simply comparing against the sample you provided. But you already knew that. :thumbsu:

Lighten up. I doubt anyone reads most of my posts - I don't think even I could be bothered. But if you did you'd realise that I'm actually a Brad Scott supporter. I think he's a quality man doing the best he can do. Is that good enough? I hope so but I'm not certain. If North were to win a flag, I'd be happiest for him more than anyone else involved at NMFC.

But the data I posted before is fact. Irrefutable. Is it damning for Brad? No. Is it something all AFL supporters / NMFC supporters should care about? No. Is finishing 4th in 2015 better than finishing 1st in 1977 because in 2015 we finished above 14 others, whereas in 1977 we only finished above 11 others? No. End of.

Lighten up.

Dont underestimate the drawcard of your stats on here!

Thanks for the advice, but I'm good. You surely realise that there are many people that read your posts and you are an acknowledged expert in the facts-and-figures area. No need to be falsely modest about it.

On Brad, I am about the same as you describe above. Though I'd be happier for me than him if he were to win us one.

My point was in relation to the way you posted the irrefutable fact, not giving full context for the comparison and teaming it with the double kudos and double hilariousbrad.jpg. It's just further fuel for the haters, notwithstanding you say it's not damning for Brad - they will happily interpret otherwise.

PS - it's a little mischievous to compare my point about higher finishes to premiership years. I was simply comparing against the sample you provided. But you already knew that. :thumbsu:

MM & LK sitting in a tree....k...i...s

Kudos to Brad...he moves up the list of most games coached with 0 Grand Finals:

258 - Bill Stephen
247 - Terry Wallace
179 - Brad Scott
177 - Neil Craig
174 - Jack Hale

These are the only 5 with over 150 games without a Grand Final. Stephen coached 53 games for Fitzroy between 1955-57 before being moved on. He coached another 115 at Fitzroy between 1965-70. He bobbed up at Essendon in 1976-77 for 44 more before coaching 46 at Fitzroy again in 1979-80. In all that time he only made the finals once - 1979. Wallace coached 148 games at the Dogs from 1996-2002 then 99 at Richmond from 2005-09. So the record for most games at one club before making a Grand Final goes to......

422084_d6c08cdd9831a1b449a00920de4c332a.jpg

Kudos!!!!

The record for first Grand Final is 187th game for Mick Malthouse (1984-1991) and 185th for Mark Thompson (2000-07). So this bloke is aiming to beat that....

Kudos!!!!
Pffft so what just a meaningless statistic. In context of the introduction of expansion clubs taking the top line talent coinciding with Brads appointment that is a meaningless number. We had a crack when the time was right bringing in dal, Waite, and Higgo, were cruelled by injuries and fell just short. Onwards and upwards.

Pffft so what just a meaningless statistic. In context of the introduction of expansion clubs taking the top line talent coinciding with Brads appointment that is a meaningless number. We had a crack when the time was right bringing in dal, Waite, and Higgo, were cruelled by injuries and fell just short. Onwards and upwards.

It's not a meaningless stat. It might not be a predictor of future performance but it's not meaningless.

It's not a meaningless stat. It might not be a predictor of future performance but it's not meaningless.

Well the meaning in a statistic comes from how an individual interprets it. The statistic above exists as fact. So, how you want to interpret the fact - that Brad is good enough to coach 179+ games, that the club has given him undeserved contract extensions, that he's failed by not getting into a Grand Final yet, that he's done well by getting the lists he's had deep into finals OR that there is no interpretation to be made and therefore is meaningless - well, that's up to you.

Didn't realise this was such a touchy thing! Think I'll stick to saying how many Bens have played for North and stuff like that - now THAT'S meaningless!!!

Well the meaning in a statistic comes from how an individual interprets it. The statistic above exists as fact. So, how you want to interpret the fact - that Brad is good enough to coach 179+ games, that the club has given him undeserved contract extensions, that he's failed by not getting into a Grand Final yet, that he's done well by getting the lists he's had deep into finals OR that there is no interpretation to be made and therefore is meaningless - well, that's up to you.

Didn't realise this was such a touchy thing! Think I'll stick to saying how many Bens have played for North and stuff like that - now THAT'S meaningless!!!

Massively touchy subject.

Did you visit the BBB3 Thread?

March to Extension day it went on and on.

Meaningless I think not. There is a clear correlation between the increase in the number of Bens playing for North and the reduction of Grand Final appearances. ;)

Yeh unfortunately it may turn out that way. Hopefully not.

Nah.

Scotts needs to strip back and admit his frailties to the playing group.

I heard this x 369 times this past fortnight in the media re Dimma.

Takes a man to do it.

Easy, nekminit Premiership Coach

Kudos to Brad...he moves up the list of most games coached with 0 Grand Finals:

258 - Bill Stephen
247 - Terry Wallace
179 - Brad Scott
177 - Neil Craig
174 - Jack Hale

These are the only 5 with over 150 games without a Grand Final. Stephen coached 53 games for Fitzroy between 1955-57 before being moved on. He coached another 115 at Fitzroy between 1965-70. He bobbed up at Essendon in 1976-77 for 44 more before coaching 46 at Fitzroy again in 1979-80. In all that time he only made the finals once - 1979. Wallace coached 148 games at the Dogs from 1996-2002 then 99 at Richmond from 2005-09. So the record for most games at one club before making a Grand Final goes to......

Kudos!!!!

The record for first Grand Final is 187th game for Mick Malthouse (1984-1991) and 185th for Mark Thompson (2000-07). So this bloke is aiming to beat that....

Kudos!!!!
So unless BBB XXVIII gets its wish in 2020 sometime or Scotts makes his way off this list with a GF appearance (rejoice!) or his back gives out again, Bard will coach another 66 games (providing no finals which is still a possibility) and take his tally to 245 games - 2 behind wallet.

If he is re-signed again he will break the record in 2021.

Straighten that back up Brad......you've got some work to do.

not touchy thing at all for me, I believe in letting people who are in the best position with the best available information make decisions. Why I'll always back the club to make the right decision. I wouldn't have been a professional trader my entire life if emotions got in the way, I do agree with you that statistics are simply numbers and open to interpretation and this "statistic" as presented is meaningless, correlation does not infer causation. "Undeserved contracts extensions" is only your opinion and up until this year, I'm sure you'd agree he is more deserving of said extensions than say Damien Hardwick? Yes everyone loved mocking the tiges, with the where's Trent, chokers etc, but they stayed the course with their coach made a few tweaks and won a premiership. The competition is so even, injuries play a massive part, we all expected to drop down the ladder, and I honestly don't think any so called "experts" expected us to be as competitive as we were this season. As a trader, and like most employees, I have a lot of KPI's from my employer in addition to simply making money. Coaches are no different, every year there is only 1 team that wins a premiership you don't simply sack the coach because he hasn't won a flag. If both coach and club didn't believe he was the best man for the job, he'd have alternative job offers and be gone. What would you prefer, a Ross Lyon who walks into clubs on the verge of success, fails, and then looks elsewhere? Success doesn't happen overnight, put it out there who would you have as coach, and present a well reasoned argument on what grounds you would make that appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe in letting people who are in the best position with the best available information make decisions. Why I'll always back the club to make the right decision.
Sounds like Blind Faith to me. :stern look

...I'm sure you'd agree he is more deserving of said extensions than say Damien Hardwick? Yes everyone loved mocking the tiges, with the where's Trent, chokers etc, but they stayed the course with their coach made a few tweaks and won a premiership. The competition is so even, injuries play a massive part, we all expected to drop down the ladder, and I honestly don't think any so called "experts" expected us to be as competitive as we were this season. As a trader, and like most employees, I have a lot of KPI's from my employer in addition to simply making money. Coaches are no different, every year there is only 1 team that wins a premiership you don't simply sack the coach because he hasn't won a flag. If both coach and club didn't believe he was the best man for the job, he'd have alternative job offers and be gone. What would you prefer, a Ross Lyon who walks into clubs on the verge of success, fails, and then looks elsewhere? Success doesn't happen overnight, put it out there who would you have as coach, and present a well reasoned argument on what grounds you would make that appointment.
I didn't. We were 9 and 0 last season. That's just a bit over a year ago. The arse end of a side doesn't fall out so quickly unless there are underlying issues. But all of a sudden there were Turkeys out there thinking we can't make the 8 this season because a couple of older guys were forced into retirement. We should've made the 8 again this season. We lost many a tight contest due to poor coaching. We did not play one other side that finished in the top 8 twice which indicates we had a very handy draw. We lost twice to both bottom 10 sides in the Dogs and Freo in tight contests. We lost twice to StKilda who also finished outside the top 8. Split the difference against the Gold Coast and beat our bunnies in the Dees twice. We also lost to Hawthorn and Collingwood who also didn't have great years. The coach focused on offensive play when it is quite clear that high pressure defend first style football wins you Premierships. This guy is taking us nowhere and is fortunate that the token review undertaken by his best bud in Joyces and a Director otherwise preoccupied by other matters saw it convenient to rubber stamp a contract extension with a full year still remaining on his current contract. If this review was undertaken a little more thoroughly there would have been a few issues about Scotts coaching that would've raised their ugly heads. The only way we improve is if Scotts changes. Bottom Line. If he remains Pig Headed and inflexible we will be going no where in a hurry. :stern look

I believe in letting people who are in the best position with the best available information make decisions. Why I'll always back the club to make the right decision.

Back the club in all you want, doesn't make it any more or less relevant to whether it's the correct and sensible decision.

We haven't made a grand final for the longest time for any AFL club (inc Blues).

Obviously that suggests we make various mistakes and whilst I've accepted the extension and we move on, I still strongly disagree with that decision.

Unfortunately I'm quite confident I will be proven correct in time based on the available evidence to consider since his initial appointment.

Back the club in all you want, doesn't make it any more or less relevant to whether it's the correct and sensible decision.

We haven't made a grand final for the longest time for any AFL club (inc Blues).

Obviously that suggests we make various mistakes and whilst I've accepted the extension and we move on, I still strongly disagree with that decision.

Unfortunately I'm quite confident I will be proven correct in time based on the available evidence to consider since his initial appointment.

For me I've forgotten the past and will focus on the now and of course the beyond. We I believe had an attitude that we must not bottom out and Scott did that well. I'm not sure that is the current instruction..... will be an interesting 2018 season for many reasons. We know and have discussed the talent available with an early draft pick in 2018.

For me I've forgotten the past and will focus on the now and of course the beyond. We I believe had an attitude that we must not bottom out and Scott did that well. I'm not sure that is the current instruction..... will be an interesting 2018 season for many reasons. We know and have discussed the talent available with an early draft pick in 2018.

4th last is not bottoming out?

I guess that explains our CEO saying our season was "outstanding" even though it was shithouse from blowing games early to being uncompetitive later mate.

Guess it depends on expectations - i expected us to be better this year, we were a clearly tanking Lions win away from wooden spoon......

Last edited:
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...g-mentality-concern-north-melbourne-kangaroos

Worrying reports continue to emanate from North Melbourne which paint a picture of a club in disarray.

The main source of angst surrounds coach Brad Scott, who last month had his contract extended by two years until the end of 2020.

Towards the end of the season, it is believed Scott had been weighing up whether to throw his hat into the ring for the Gold Coast job as Rodney Eade's replacement.

But when he heard in late August that Richmond star Dustin Martin had indicated he would accept the Kangas' seven-year, $10.5 million offer, Scott had a change of heart and decided to re-commit himself to the Roos. Martin would be the centrepiece of his new, remodelled midfield.

But a day or two later, the soon-to-be Brownlow medallist told North that he would, in fact, not be accepting their mega-deal and would instead be staying at Richmond.

The timeline went something like this: 27 August - Richmond play their last home-and-away game, against St Kilda; 28 August - Martin flies to New Zealand to meet his father, Shane. North Melbourne at this point are convinced Martin is going to accept their offer; 29 August - Scott wins a two-year contract extension; 31 August - Martin announces he'll stay at Punt Rd after the Tigers sweeten their deal.

That apparently left Scott unhappy that he had missed out on the opportunity to make a fresh start up north and was now stuck coaching a team in full rebuild mode. The North board - some of whom were unconvinced about Scott's performance anyway - were equally bemused, having re-signed a coach who was showing signs of being less-than-fully-committed to the task ahead.

Staffers talk of Scott being in his office with his door closed and blinds down - and shut off from the rest of the club. This is something previous footy department chiefs had to speak to him about, urging him to be more engaged around the club and encouraging an open-door policy for his players.

Scott, 41, was appointed senior coach at North in 2010 and took the club to preliminary finals in 2014 and 2015.

There is also a feeling among some Roos' insiders that the club has been distracted by the push to win an AFLW licence, which to their credit they've achieved, and the desire to be an inner-suburban 'community' club - rather than focus on the core business of producing a successful AFL side.

Off the field, the weights coach has been sacked after 12 months and the club is looking for a 'senior physical performance' boss after Steve Saunders - who was retained last year even though he had moved back to Adelaide where he had set up a new business - was told that fly-in, fly-out arrangement was no longer tenable.

In the footy department, Darren Crocker, the director of coaching last year, will move back to become a line coach after Brad Green's departure. His old post looks like being scrapped.

All the while, Cameron Joyce, the general manager of football, is struggling in his first full year in the job to make an impact. It has been well documented - in this column, and elsewhere - how the Roos have pursued a raft of free-agency players in recent times but come up empty-handed.

Joyce was supposed to be mentored in his first year or two in the job by the highly regarded footy veteran Geoff Walsh, but that plan fell in a heap when Walsh was offered a lucrative full-time gig back at Collingwood late last year.

So a tough off-season looms for the Roos, and one which will sorely test the mettle of chairman Ben Buckley and his board.

Gee there is some hate out there for our football club

Ha ha. Yep.

This is good though, let's be honest. We do our best works when absolutely backs against the wall copping it from every direction.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...g-mentality-concern-north-melbourne-kangaroos

Worrying reports continue to emanate from North Melbourne which paint a picture of a club in disarray.

The main source of angst surrounds coach Brad Scott, who last month had his contract extended by two years until the end of 2020.

Towards the end of the season, it is believed Scott had been weighing up whether to throw his hat into the ring for the Gold Coast job as Rodney Eade's replacement.

But when he heard in late August that Richmond star Dustin Martin had indicated he would accept the Kangas' seven-year, $10.5 million offer, Scott had a change of heart and decided to re-commit himself to the Roos. Martin would be the centrepiece of his new, remodelled midfield.

But a day or two later, the soon-to-be Brownlow medallist told North that he would, in fact, not be accepting their mega-deal and would instead be staying at Richmond.

The timeline went something like this: 27 August - Richmond play their last home-and-away game, against St Kilda; 28 August - Martin flies to New Zealand to meet his father, Shane. North Melbourne at this point are convinced Martin is going to accept their offer; 29 August - Scott wins a two-year contract extension; 31 August - Martin announces he'll stay at Punt Rd after the Tigers sweeten their deal.

That apparently left Scott unhappy that he had missed out on the opportunity to make a fresh start up north and was now stuck coaching a team in full rebuild mode. The North board - some of whom were unconvinced about Scott's performance anyway - were equally bemused, having re-signed a coach who was showing signs of being less-than-fully-committed to the task ahead.

Staffers talk of Scott being in his office with his door closed and blinds down - and shut off from the rest of the club. This is something previous footy department chiefs had to speak to him about, urging him to be more engaged around the club and encouraging an open-door policy for his players.

Scott, 41, was appointed senior coach at North in 2010 and took the club to preliminary finals in 2014 and 2015.

There is also a feeling among some Roos' insiders that the club has been distracted by the push to win an AFLW licence, which to their credit they've achieved, and the desire to be an inner-suburban 'community' club - rather than focus on the core business of producing a successful AFL side.

Off the field, the weights coach has been sacked after 12 months and the club is looking for a 'senior physical performance' boss after Steve Saunders - who was retained last year even though he had moved back to Adelaide where he had set up a new business - was told that fly-in, fly-out arrangement was no longer tenable.

In the footy department, Darren Crocker, the director of coaching last year, will move back to become a line coach after Brad Green's departure. His old post looks like being scrapped.

All the while, Cameron Joyce, the general manager of football, is struggling in his first full year in the job to make an impact. It has been well documented - in this column, and elsewhere - how the Roos have pursued a raft of free-agency players in recent times but come up empty-handed.

Joyce was supposed to be mentored in his first year or two in the job by the highly regarded footy veteran Geoff Walsh, but that plan fell in a heap when Walsh was offered a lucrative full-time gig back at Collingwood late last year.

So a tough off-season looms for the Roos, and one which will sorely test the mettle of chairman Ben Buckley and his board.

Where there's smoke there's ire as they say. Regardless of the truth, not a painting a pretty picture. An yeah my ire's building. some of it is factual and some of it is based on other things, like JB stating we don't finish last.

Anywho not much we can do about it :(

No Bull set the record straight with said Journo.

.meanwhile 'The Blind Man' has been called down there to replace the blinds.
blindssuck.gif

Maybe Brad just can't work out how to lift the ****ers up!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back