Toast Kudos To Brad Scott Thread !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad had the boys primed yesterday.

Moti are you prepared to give a bit of kudos after this comment in the match day thread?
Scott getting pansted in the coaching box. Needs to re-align positions as well as find some kicking efficiency.

I'm hoping Scott has finally worked out a good game plan for us that stands up under pressure,(I hope he didn't just find one that was left behind in the box from someone like clarkson).

I think the only major thing holding us back is our skill efficiency, we have improved on it somewhat over last year but we still turn the ball over a lot and have some chronically poor ball users who we don't enforce a higher standard with.

Brad has improved out of sight on many areas of coaching but we were a long way back, our kicking efficiency before it started to rain yesterday was horrible.

I think the only major thing holding us back is our skill efficiency, we have improved on it somewhat over last year but we still turn the ball over a lot and have some chronically poor ball users who we don't enforce a higher standard with.

Brad has improved out of sight on many areas of coaching but we were a long way back, our kicking efficiency before it started to rain yesterday was horrible.
Hopefully that will come with some confidence on-field

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Hopefully that will come with some confidence on-field

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
I don't think more confidence is the answer. We have a lot of confidence.

I just think it is simply how the players position themselves when they try to receive the pill or pass it to a teammate. It is very hard to execute a flawless passage of play without a slight fumble or mishap if the pressure is on and if that player is in a bad position. Again, if our players are over-confident, it could result in a HTB turnover because said player thought he could weave his way through traffic and take the initiative upon himself.

We usually get too carried away in space and in congestion which results in a bad string of shitty handballs and too-cute passes. Also, we often bomb it long when things look like momentum is shifting only to realise the opposition has setup a wall. Richmond were unbelievably good at stopping our attacks.

When we get the ball in hand, our players need to utilise their senses. Atley showed just how well we can be when we are switched on. The game has become so fast-flowing because of changes in deliberate and HTB interpretations that it is hard for players to just, relax and settle the tempo down. Hawks were very good at this and it shows just how successful they were at it. 3 flags.

Composure and utilisation of your senses in high-pressure situations is key. Confidence is there, composure needs work. But we are half-way there.

How quickly the worm turns. Half the posters on here were calling for Brad’s head last year and claiming it was a shocking decision to re-sign him. Well done to the club for not heeding the sheep and well done to Brad for trusting himself, his structures and staying resolute. We’re lucky to have someone staunch and passionate at the helm. A North
Man through and through and great to see him reap the rewards and stick it up the non believers and media fanboys. Top stuff.

Now I do not intend to justify our poor disposal efficiency however if my memory serves me correct, Richmond won the Premiership last season ranking 17th in disposal efficiency. :stern look

Now I do not intend to justify our poor disposal efficiency however if my memory serves me correct, Richmond won the Premiership last season ranking 17th in disposal efficiency. :stern look

I don't think they turn it over in the back half, most of it is going forward and due to only having one key forward they turn it over a lot but also lock the ball in their forward half with repeat entries, it gets to the point both teams are stuck in Richmonds forward half and there is so much ping-pong there that it seems like a negative, pretty much how we dominated Freo in the third but couldn't hit a target. That is just going to be a weight of numbers thing though where you eventually break the opposition.

Our frustrating turnovers are around half-back to the centre which result in easy goals kicked against us. We dominated Freo for large parts of the game but we had the same number of turnover goals i think. We are really good for like 90% of the game but that 10% is really shizen, if we were really good for 80% and just solid for 20% and 0% shizen then we would go from top 8 contesting to top 4 contesting and potential flag contesting.

But we were a lot worse last year so Brad deserves a lot of praise for raising the standard and it is part due to moving on some turnover merchants but we also make a lot more space at half back for players to lead into and for defenders to kick to. We just aren't butchering that ball out of the back unless we are under extreme pressure, all sides tend to do that though, even the best.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How quickly the worm turns. Half the posters on here were calling for Brad’s head last year and claiming it was a shocking decision to re-sign him. Well done to the club for not heeding the sheep and well done to Brad for trusting himself, his structures and staying resolute. We’re lucky to have someone staunch and passionate at the helm. A North
Man through and through and great to see him reap the rewards and stick it up the non believers and media fanboys. Top stuff.
I think you'll find that the majority of posters who have criticised elements of Brads tenure will have also had praise for the bloke as well and would be pretty happy with how he and the club are performing this year. He's rejigged the side very nicely and has us playing to our strengths, shown confidence in the young guys to step up and those returning from injury have slotted straight back in beautifully. The players have all bought into the gameplan, competition for spots are fierce and the VFL boys are champing at the bit and playing like they would kill for a look in. Exactly what a good coach and system provides.

I'll happily stick my hand up and say I was critical of him in several areas previously and will be the first to admit he's going very nicely in those areas I had a problem with, but I guess not all posters are as saintly as others and sometimes will voice their concerns, rightly or wrongly.

Finally, can we drop the staunch North guff. It aint a matter of being staunch North Melbourne or not. I think for a few hundred grand a year you'll find that most would soon become staunch North Melbourne. Being truly staunch doesn't involve the club giving you money, in fact I'd argue it's the opposite who are truly staunch.

Anyway, kudos to the coach.

He's ticking over like a Swiss watch at the moment......beautifully :thumbsu:

Not to take away from Brad's steady start thus far but maybe we keep it in our pants, no rewards reaped yet.

Let's qualify for finals first before starting to flop it around.

I think you'll find that the majority of posters who have criticised elements of Brads tenure will have also had praise for the bloke as well and would be pretty happy with how he and the club are performing this year. He's rejigged the side very nicely and has us playing to our strengths, shown confidence in the young guys to step up and those returning from injury have slotted straight back in beautifully. The players have all bought into the gameplan, competition for spots are fierce and the VFL boys are champing at the bit and playing like they would kill for a look in. Exactly what a good coach and system provides.

I'll happily stick my hand up and say I was critical of him in several areas previously and will be the first to admit he's going very nicely in those areas I had a problem with, but I guess not all posters are as saintly as others and sometimes will voice their concerns, rightly or wrongly.

Finally, can we drop the staunch North guff. It aint a matter of being staunch North Melbourne or not. I think for a few hundred grand a year you'll find that most would soon become staunch North Melbourne. Being truly staunch doesn't involve the club giving you money, in fact I'd argue it's the opposite who are truly staunch.

Anyway, kudos to the coach.

He's ticking over like a Swiss watch at the moment......beautifully :thumbsu:

Know a s**t sandwich when I see one

Will leave it to other, more saintly posters to comment on the merits of Brad’s North credentials....

I don't think they turn it over in the back half, most of it is going forward and due to only having one key forward they turn it over a lot but also lock the ball in their forward half with repeat entries, it gets to the point both teams are stuck in Richmonds forward half and there is so much ping-pong there that it seems like a negative, pretty much how we dominated Freo in the third but couldn't hit a target. That is just going to be a weight of numbers thing though where you eventually break the opposition.

Our frustrating turnovers are around half-back to the centre which result in easy goals kicked against us. We dominated Freo for large parts of the game but we had the same number of turnover goals i think. We are really good for like 90% of the game but that 10% is really shizen, if we were really good for 80% and just solid for 20% and 0% shizen then we would go from top 8 contesting to top 4 contesting and potential flag contesting.

But we were a lot worse last year so Brad deserves a lot of praise for raising the standard and it is part due to moving on some turnover merchants but we also make a lot more space at half back for players to lead into and for defenders to kick to. We just aren't butchering that ball out of the back unless we are under extreme pressure, all sides tend to do that though, even the best.
It would be interesting to see the figures where we turn the ball over and how it compares to others.

ScreenHunter_51 May. 29 12.08.jpg

Our disposal efficiency is second last in the league at the minute at 67.5%.

ScreenHunter_52 May. 29 12.21.jpg

These stats also indicate we are aiming to make our games a Contest which is our strength. We may not dispose of the ball all that efficiently but neither does our opponent when they play us. Our opponents disposal efficiency sits at 69.3% when they play us at the minute.

The other stat that sticks out to me is that we rank 1st for limiting our opponents on metres gained. We are doing a good job of not allowing our opponents to break through our lines. Also we are doing a reasonable job of not letting our opponents control the ball on the outside as we rank 5th in least opponent uncontested possessions per game.

I agree we need to clean up our disposal but the way we are playing it is our intention to make the game a contest and as such it is influencing our disposal efficiency. :stern look

It would be interesting to see the figures where we turn the ball over and how it compares to others.

View attachment 504123

Our disposal efficiency is second last in the league at the minute at 67.5%.

View attachment 504124

These stats also indicate we are aiming to make our games a Contest which is our strength. We may not dispose of the ball all that efficiently but neither does our opponent when they play us. Our opponents disposal efficiency sits at 69.3% when they play us at the minute.

The other stat that sticks out to me is that we rank 1st for limiting our opponents on metres gained. We are doing a good job of not allowing our opponents to break through our lines. Also we are doing a reasonable job of not letting our opponents control the ball on the outside as we rank 5th in least opponent uncontested possessions per game.

I agree we need to clean up our disposal but the way we are playing it is our intention to make the game a contest and as such it is influencing our disposal efficiency. :stern look

Not disagreeing with any of this, it is just the odd howler we do , which often isn't under pressure, that concedes a turnover around half-back which often leads to our back line exposed because the team is spreading forwards and often results in a scoring opportunity if not a goal against us.

It would be more desirable to turn the ball over going down the line where we can still pressure instead of some of these do-nothing sideways passes. We still quite often switch back when there are no options on the other side of the ground and put our last line under the pump as well.

We have a good balance between contested and uncontested possession atm, we just need to cut out a lot of the really sloppy disposals, a lot seem to come from Clarke and McDonald atm but by no means isolated to those two alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back