Toast Kudos To Brad Scott Thread !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

You wanted Tarrant dropped?

If he's not injured, then yes, on his last six weeks he shouldn't have been out there. But I assume he's injured and anyone watching him yesterday would probably conclude the same.

So, either way, he shouldn't have played yesterday (or the previous couple of games, frankly).

I'm more pro-Brad than most, but this thread is almost as hard to read as the Bye Bye rubbish thread* with your blindly glowing assessments of everything he does. Time to get some balance and admit he's made some selection howlers in the back half of the season. Not to mention the times when opposition coaches have run rings around him on matchday.

And I did mention 6 players, yet you chose to focus on the injured one ...

* Actually, I just don't read that thread any more. Literally.

If he's not injured, then yes, on his last six weeks he shouldn't have been out there. But I assume he's injured and anyone watching him yesterday would probably conclude the same.

So, either way, he shouldn't have played yesterday (or the previous couple of games, frankly).

I'm more pro-Brad than most, but this thread is almost as hard to read as the Bye Bye rubbish thread* with your blindly glowing assessments of everything he does. Time to get some balance and admit he's made some selection howlers in the back half of the season. Not to mention the times when opposition coaches have run rings around him on matchday.

And I did mention 6 players, yet you chose to focus on the injured one ...

* Actually, I just don't read that thread any more. Literally.
Harsh on McMillian - he is a good player. We have tried Atley, Turner and Hrovat as a small forward but the cupboard is bare in that area. Playing the kids that aren’t ready is not an answer IMO. Walker had great VFL form but needed another preseason to be ready for AFL.

If we land a good player winning 12 games is a great result. TT looks to fill a need as well.

I did agree, I was arguing this when we were 9 and zip in 2016 and Maj gets a game and is dropped after definitely not being the worse of the 4 talls. Brad holds great faith in his senior core, and it is hard to argue when we have a year like 2018 and finish just outside the 8, when in reality we should have been far lower. Brad selects for the now and doesn't gift games, now that we have our own VFL team I don't have as much of a problem with this, but there has to be perspective around delistings and tradable players, we have to understand under this model our kids will take longer, and some will say when they come in, they will be better prepared.

Brad does coach the way we want him to it is just a pity that this leads to mid table finishes, none of us want a spoon. In saying that the sooner a draft lottery comes in the better, as it is the only chance we will see a number 1 pick head our way.

One could also argue it takes us 4-5 years to see if we actually have decent players coming through after a sporadic >10 games in that time as well.

A major component of us always falling away in 2nd halves of seasons is the outright gifting of games to the injured and out of form imo. To top it off, 32 players used for a team that finished 16th last season is lunacy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harsh on McMillian - he is a good player. We have tried Atley, Turner and Hrovat as a small forward but the cupboard is bare in that area. Playing the kids that aren’t ready is not an answer IMO. Walker had great VFL form but needed another preseason to be ready for AFL.

If we land a good player winning 12 games is a great result. TT looks to fill a need as well.

I thought Macmillan was decent in the first half of the season, with a couple of very good games and lots of 'did enough'. He was disappointing over the last couple of months. It's all been said about McDonald, which is perhaps why you didn't address him. Clarke, too.

Anyway, I'm not hearing your arguments on why it was better to play an unfit Tarrant (or Thompson, for that matter) over McKay, Nielson or even Hibberd.

Nor am I hearing your arguments on why it was appropriate that he persisted with both McDonald and Clarke without giving Mountford (or again, Hibberd) a chance at the level, which they had earned.

I'm not convinced that the small forward bare cupboard is a good enough argument to avoid giving each of them a rocket by being dropped at different times (not at once, of course).

I thought Macmillan was decent in the first half of the season, with a couple of very good games and lots of 'did enough'. He was disappointing over the last couple of months. It's all been said about McDonald, which is perhaps why you didn't address him. Clarke, too.

Anyway, I'm not hearing your arguments on why it was better to play an unfit Tarrant (or Thompson, for that matter) over McKay, Nielson or even Hibberd.

Nor am I hearing your arguments on why it was appropriate that he persisted with both McDonald and Clarke without giving Mountford (or again, Hibberd) a chance at the level, which they had earned.

I'm not convinced that the small forward bare cupboard is a good enough argument to avoid giving each of them a rocket by being dropped at different times (not at once, of course).
The club would have a much better idea of the fitness of Tarrant. No player plays without some sort of niggle. If he is right to play - he plays. Not sure we gain anything with swapping McDonald & Clarke with Mountford & Hibberd. No real game changer here.

Dropping players v backing them - it’s a fine line and again the people at the club have a much better idea of getting the best out of players than any of us on big footy.

How many wins did you predict at the start of the year?

The club would have a much better idea of the fitness of Tarrant. No player plays without some sort of niggle. If he is right to play - he plays. Not sure we gain anything with swapping McDonald & Clarke with Mountford & Hibberd. No real game changer here.

Dropping players v backing them - it’s a fine line and again the people at the club have a much better idea of getting the best out of players than any of us on big footy.

How many wins did you predict at the start of the year?

Look it up, Bill - I had us 8th-12th in the prediction thread, which puts it in the 12 wins range. Nice further deflection, though.

What we gain from dropping a chronically underperforming McDonald is that we see if Mountford or Hibberd are up to it. It's a no-brainer. Dec, in particular, showed enough last year to suggest that on his worst form, he wouldn't have dished up what LMac did for weeks.

And again on Tarrant, if you're going to run the line that he was fit (really?), then he should have been dropped for lack of form. He gradually got worse this season.

Dropping players v backing them is not a fine line if the players you keep backing continue to stink it up. Sure the club insiders have better information than us - that's a given - but they're not necessarily better judges and the basis for their decisions is not always sound.

Look it up, Bill - I had us 8th-12th in the prediction thread, which puts it in the 12 wins range. Nice further deflection, though.

What we gain from dropping a chronically underperforming McDonald is that we see if Mountford or Hibberd are up to it. It's a no-brainer. Dec, in particular, showed enough last year to suggest that on his worst form, he wouldn't have dished up what LMac did for weeks.

And again on Tarrant, if you're going to run the line that he was fit (really?), then he should have been dropped for lack of form. He gradually got worse this season.

Dropping players v backing them is not a fine line if the players you keep backing continue to stink it up. Sure the club insiders have better information than us - that's a given - but they're not necessarily better judges and the basis for their decisions is not always sound.
Wasn’t a deflection - just a question. 5 spots is a big grouping.

Not better judges? How do you come up with that? People that have won premierships and played at the highest level aren’t better judges than posters on here that have never set foot in an AFL club? Do posters on here actually believe they can do a better job at the selection table? Surly the level of delusion is not real.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t a deflection - just a question. 5 spots is a big grouping.

Not better judges? How do you come up with that? People that have won premierships and played at the highest level aren’t better judges than posters on here that have never set foot in an AFL club? Do posters on here actually believe they can do a better job at the selection table? Surly the level of delusion is not real.

LOL, 5 spots is indeed a big grouping. Let's just say I had us pegged better than you did.

Newsflash Bill - football is not rocket science. Many of us have played then watched football for decades, and it was only the talent differential that separates us from those that played at the highest level. That doesn't translate to superior understanding of the game. Indeed, it's pretty simplistic to think they have unobtainable understanding of the game based on the level they played at. The only delusion here is you arriving at that conclusion.

I already conceded they have more insider knowledge, but so what? They know if Tarrant is injured or not. We don't. If he's not, then you can only conclude he has been in poor form. (BTW, I don't want to come across as anti-Taz, as he's been great for a long time. But he should have been rested).

I would also suggest that half of Australia's football viewing public could have done a better job at the selection table in the last few weeks of this season. It's a simple concept, but mistakes can be and are made, even by the professionals. It's not a stretch to say they made a few lately. It is a bigger stretch to suggest no-one outside the club could recognise and avoid such mistakes.

LOL, 5 spots is indeed a big grouping. Let's just say I had us pegged better than you did.

Newsflash Bill - football is not rocket science. Many of us have played then watched football for decades, and it was only the talent differential that separates us from those that played at the highest level. That doesn't translate to superior understanding of the game. Indeed, it's pretty simplistic to think they have unobtainable understanding of the game based on the level they played at. The only delusion here is you arriving at that conclusion.

I already conceded they have more insider knowledge, but so what? They know if Tarrant is injured or not. We don't. If he's not, then you can only conclude he has been in poor form. (BTW, I don't want to come across as anti-Taz, as he's been great for a long time. But he should have been rested).

I would also suggest that half of Australia's football viewing public could have done a better job at the selection table in the last few weeks of this season. It's a simple concept, but mistakes can be and are made, even by the professionals. It's not a stretch to say they made a few lately. It is a bigger stretch to suggest no-one outside the club could recognise and avoid such mistakes.
So the 18 coaches are just like regular park footballers - same level of knowledge of the game but on much bigger wages? Most people that have played and watched footy for years could have steered us to 12 wins?

So the 18 coaches are just like regular park footballers - same level of knowledge of the game but on much bigger wages? Most people that have played and watched footy for years could have steered us to 12 wins?

Sure Bill, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

I get the feeling that you're feeling a little inadequate because you've come to the realisation that you couldn't have selected a better NM team last week, whilst a lot of us could have.

Your feelings of inadequacy are manifesting in deflection and misquoting.

I'm done. Ignoring both extreme Brad Scott threads from now on.

Sure Bill, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

I get the feeling that you're feeling a little inadequate because you've come to the realisation that you couldn't have selected a better NM team last week, whilst a lot of us could have.

Your feelings of inadequacy are manifesting in deflection and misquoting.

I'm done. Ignoring both extreme Brad Scott threads from now on.
Replacing battlers with battlers isnt the answer and doesn’t improve our team. Maybe you should put your hand up if you can help improve on our 12 wins this year.

8 out of 10?? How would rate Clarkson, 15 out 10?
Weren’t you the guy who started the Bye Bye Brad thread and told all those Brad Scott supporters to “piss off to the kudos thread”? What are you doing here?

Why don’t you take your own advice and keep throwing your toys out of the cot in your own thread pal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back