Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1808&SeasonID=2015#ind

This has concerned me for a few weeks now. Forget the salary and the bs mud slinging on the main board.

This guy can play IMO. I thought his first year as the main forward once he was available was very good, he was hitting the scoreboard and leading, last year was so interrupted but him and Buddy seemed to work quite well.

Wayne Carey was right last night, though he has been anti Tippett a while. But i see a guy who does not understand footy, does not use his strengths. He either is in the ruck or he engages in a deep wrestle, and its not working, in fact he is starting to get rag dolled by people smaller than him.

Is he hurt? Is it form? Is the ruck work ruining his output and leaving him cooked

I thought playing every week would help, but bar the Melbourne game his last month has been s**t, got a few goals late last night, but his work rate when forward has been poor.

Delivery to Tippett is average but i think he needs to lead more and he needs to get better at reading the flight of the ball and outbodying his man

Not suggesting he be dropped, but maybe the ruck balance needs work or he needs some one on one work with a forward? Can we lower his ruck time?

Any thoughts? Because the flag is a much bigger chance if he is at his best and i think we have seen what he can bring when in form

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Sir Swan's cat is all like

moar-cat.jpg

May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I really like tippo but I think he doesn't play well a second foward? When he's the main target he plays a lot better, its not like the game plan is to make him a decoy, a lot of the kicks that go to him make it very difficult to mark, he does well with what he gets, now that we have buddy most kicks don't go near tippo, in 2013 when tippo was our target he averaged the most goals of any player in that year, because every ball was going his way, now buddy gets 75% of it an only 25% to tippet

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We are in a pickle here.. obviously we would love to leave Tippo parked in the goalsquare and i think rucking is having a effect on his output.

Obviously we can't play 2 rucks + Tippett in the same side ideally we are missing a mobile/athletic ruck who is not useless or out of the contest when the ball hits the ground.

Someone like a Stanley if we had that then playing 2 rucks and leaving Tippett in the goalsquare wouldn't be so bad, we saw the horror show last year of playing Tippett, Dericckxkx, Pyke in the same side against Richmond.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
He does this thing that shits me - he jumps at the ball from a lead, does all of the right body positioning and then doesn't hold the mark even though he gets hands on. I'm not sure if that's a confidence thing or a technique thing. He almost taps the balls down in a way as though he is expecting to not hold it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He does this thing that shits me - he jumps at the ball from a lead, does all of the right body positioning and then doesn't hold the mark even though he gets hands on. I'm not sure if that's a confidence thing or a technique thing. He almost taps the balls down in a way as though he is expecting to not hold it.

Cause he gets his arms chopped in every contest.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Cause he gets his arms chopped in every contest.

Umpire bashing aside, this happens more around the ground or just on the edge of the 50 as opposed to inside F50.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Not a natural player , basketballer

An easy out when he's playing below his best. Was he just a basketballer when he was our leading goal scorer and averaging 3 goals a game? You don't just fluke that ability and lose it overnight.

He's in a form slump. Nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
He's best when he doesn't have to leave the goalsquare. I'd be in favour of trialing Reid as a relief ruckman for Pyke. When not rucking, Reid can keep playing that wing/flanker role.
Was just going to post this.

As Punts said, Tippett isn't a natural footballer. Simplify his game, play to his strengths, which is using his size in the goal square. He doesn't seem to have a massive tank and for someone with known injury issues, making him carry his large frame around the ground in the ruck will only speed up his retirement from the game.

Leave him in the goal square for a few weeks and see how it goes. Reid can pinch hit in the ruck and has been playing well around the middle of the ground anyway. Franklin and Goodes roaming around the rest of the F50/wings. Parker/Rohan are decent in the air and can play as other marking targets.

It seems to be the 3rd man up these days! The day of the ruckman is almost over.

Pyke could ruck 85-90 of a game, still need someone to give a chop out, not sure it can be luke parker :p

We are dangerous when going for him though. Not bad at crumbing and often gets our mids and small forwards involved. If he could hold on to a mark or not get fatigued when rucking he would be fine

Tippett has been good at his best and we are dangerous i want to see us get back to that

Tippett has been good at his best and we are dangerous i want to see us get back to that
Think he is in a bit of a slump but will get through. Will enjoy the bye. Maybe rest him one game closer to finals and have him firing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back