Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I suppose it's easy to say his recruitment was a stuff up by the club with the benefit of hindsight, but I think it's an oversimplification to look at it that way, every deal is a matter of risk vs reward. We have to remember at the time the we had just won a premiership and we were aiming to win another in the short term future. The forward line was identified as a weakness given it was quite makeshift in 2012 with a 20 year old Reid and an ageing Goodesy as our key targets.

It's pretty common knowledge that key forwards are difficult to recruit so you have to pay a premium and generally they go high in the draft and take years to develop. So given with Kurt Tippett we had a rare opportunity to address a need without trading away any of our established best-22 players at the time, and considering there was no way to predict that Buddy would nominate us as his preferred destination a year later I think the decision to recruit Tippett at the time made sense. Although some of the details of the deal were questionable - for instance, the trigger clause seemed unnecessary on surface value.

Anyway, unfortunately on this occasion the investment didn't pay off. Not the first time that's happened and won't be the last. Good luck to Kurt on his next phase in life and hopefully the cap space that gets freed up makes a difference in helping us retain someone like Aliir going forward.
If hindsight was a recruiting factor every team would be premiership favourites.

This thread has turned into the twin of that horrible Tippett thread on the Crows board.
When we signed him, woo-hoo, now that he's gone, spud, soft, bla bla bla.

We can do better people.
"If life was perfect Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead"

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
The more I think about this the more I hate it.
Really liked his play when fit. Plus my kids have used him as a measure for years now- "Is he/it as tall as Kurt Tippet?" Now we'll have to find a new measure. :(
And there's the part where he has been "just around the corner" for a while now with his injury - so promised upside to how the team was going to go when he came back.

Now when we suck, we're just gonna suck. :(:(

The more I think about this the more I hate it.

It's cool mate. We are here to help.

You are just at stage 4 now - depression - pretty soon you will get to acceptance

Really liked his play when fit. Plus my kids have used him as a measure for years now- "Is he/it as tall as Kurt Tippet?" Now we'll have to find a new measure. :(

That's an easy one. Use part units of "Cripps".

You will have to use part units though, no-one is that tall.

And there's the part where he has been "just around the corner" for a while now with his injury - so promised upside to how the team was going to go when he came back.

Whooops. Hang on there, you might still be in the bargaining stage. Hmmmmm

Now when we suck, we're just gonna suck. :(:(

Yeh well I was there for all the finals suckage too.

Chin up! Who knows, we may see a leading forward this year!

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyway, Tippo, if you're reading this, thanks for the memories, it's been a wild ride and if nothing else you've given us plenty to talk about (and god knows how much you must have boosted The King!'s post count since the 2012 off-season). I'm disappointed we didn't get to see you at your best on a more consistent basis, but I nonetheless thank you for your service to the club.

My only other thought at this time is that perhaps having "Kurt Tippett avatar week" the week before he played his first game for the club wasn't the best idea in hindsight. :oops:

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You know, week after week, we ask of our great club and its players a performance better than the other guys. Week after week we want courage, effort, support for each other, honesty, and all the rest of what it takes for our club to remain competitive year after year.

And what do we as supporters give? Some of the most ill-informed, ill-considered, cowardly vitriol that we can muster?

And why? Only because we can. Because we sit anonymously behind computer screens knowing that our written words carry no consequences.

Tippo, mate, if you're reading this, you've achieved what 99% or more of us can only dream of. Congratulations on a fantastic career and may your next venture be as successful, and hopefully not as derided as your time with the Bloods. I met your parents at Geelong and they are a delightful couple. And you are an absolute credit to them.

To those so called supporters who feel the need to sledge a bloke on the way out, have a good hard look at yourselves. There are people who talk about it (that's us) and there are people who do it (that's Tippett). When "talkers" slag off "doers", it's so pathetic it makes me want to vomit.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
When did he extend until 2020? I don't remember seeing that being announced at all.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Not necessarily his fault. He performed in 2013, 2015 and the first half of 2016, for instance. He couldn't control the fact that his body kept letting him down and that the club asked him to play out of position (which, again, he did commendably at in 2015 and early 2016).

There is always a dozen excuses for non performance of any player, in the end none of them matter
Did the player, in this case Tipper perform well for Sydney? Nup, 25% of games he was good/very good. The rest bordered on poor to average
Was the player value for money for Sydney? Hell no! We overpaid big time and ended up with an overpaid dud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know, week after week, we ask of our great club and its players a performance better than the other guys. Week after week we want courage, effort, support for each other, honesty, and all the rest of what it takes for our club to remain competitive year after year.

And what do we as supporters give? Some of the most ill-informed, ill-considered, cowardly vitriol that we can muster?

And why? Only because we can. Because we sit anonymously behind computer screens knowing that our written words carry no consequences.

Tippo, mate, if you're reading this, you've achieved what 99% or more of us can only dream of. Congratulations on a fantastic career and may your next venture be as successful, and hopefully not as derided as your time with the Bloods. I met your parents at Geelong and they are a delightful couple. And you are an absolute credit to them.

To those so called supporters who feel the need to sledge a bloke on the way out, have a good hard look at yourselves. There are people who talk about it (that's us) and there are people who do it (that's Tippett). When "talkers" slag off "doers", it's so pathetic it makes me want to vomit.
:clapping:Great post, couldn't agree more :thumbsu:

There is always a dozen excuses for non performance of any player, in the end none of them matter
Did the player, in this case Tipper perform well for Sydney? Nup, 25% of games he was good/very good. The rest bordered on poor to average
Was the player value for money for Sydney? Hell no! We overpaid big time and ended up with an overpaid dud
Would you be comfortable saying we overpaid for AJ over the past 5 years? Because he's been on the books and done * all.

Very nicely said!! It is pathetic!

Gongswan

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2012
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lowndes, Ricciardo

Yep, like people posting here couild do better...........................

Kolah

Senior List
Dec 29, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
:clapping:Great post, couldn't agree more :thumbsu:

I think there’s a middle ground. When you’re being paid that much, and other guys are accepting less as a consequence, it’s on you to be a better do-er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
I think there’s a middle ground. When you’re being paid that much, and other guys are accepting less as a consequence, it’s on you to be a better do-er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I one for one think he was a better do-er just his body let him down.

Missed most of 2016, worked really hard to get back for finals and then had his jaw broken before playing with it broken in the GF.

Failure to live up to the hype and salary wasn't because of a lack of effort.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Would you be comfortable saying we overpaid for AJ over the past 5 years? Because he's been on the books and done **** all.

You are comparing a player who was physically unable to play for 4 years (on minimum wage) with a player who WAS physically able to play who was on TOP $$$???
It doesn't come much funnier than that comparison

Last edited:

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

Tippet will be remembered for achieving a top 1% salary for being a mid range payer at best

It has zero to do with doers and non-doers

If you had a middle-manager getting paid double the rest of your managers and his work was below average for 70% of his employment, should you be shouting to the sky about supporting him for being a manager?
Or should you be questioning why he was given so much money for such average performance, and for the sake of your company, be cheering that crap manager has gone?

As a club supporter, we now have to support and cheer the mediocre as if they are heroes?

No doubt he was paid overs and he did have a moneyball track record.

For whatever reason he has rarely been effective relative to the money he has been paid. I agree hindsight is helpful.

I wonder when he decided to retire - last week or prior to signing his contract extension last year. Horrible cynical thought but it would be in keeping with Moneyball tactics.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Tippet will be remembered for achieving a top 1% salary for being a mid range payer at best

It has zero to do with doers and non-doers

If you had a middle-manager getting paid double the rest of your managers and his work was below average for 70% of his employment, should you be shouting to the sky about supporting him for being a manager?
Or should you be questioning why he was given so much money for such average performance, and for the sake of your company, be cheering that crap manager has gone?

As a club supporter, we now have to support and cheer the mediocre as if they are heroes?

If there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to his below average performances, particularly if those extenuating circumstances amounted to a work related injury, I'd be doing everything I could do rehabilitate him failing which I would be encouraging him into other suitable employment with my absolute best wishes.

I certainly wouldn't be slagging him off.

But you feel free to keep doing that. I can't stop you.

But know that it reflects on your own character.

EDIT: And if I did have words to impart of a critical nature I'd be saying them to his face, not on some anonymous internet forum. And if I wasn't prepared to say those words to his face, I wouldn't say them at all.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
People seem to be forgetting that when he was fit his performances were of a high standard. 35 goals in 12 games, 34 in 14 and 44 in 22 with 380 hitouts followed by 17 in 17 with 400+ hitouts and 13 possessions. He was a very good player.

Also if he was all about the money he would have gone to Gold Coast but he told them straight away that he wasn't interested and chose a club with a good culture instead.

Sometimes it feels like the Crows supporter narrative over the last five years has become "fact" but it is mostly nonsense.

You are comparing a player who was physically unable to play for 4 years (on minimum wage) with a player who WAS physically able to play who was on TOP $$$???
It doesn't come much funnier than that comparison
He was able to play, but much of those 4 years were spent playing through serious pain. We wouldn't have given him the contract if we knew that his body was going to fall apart, but we didn't know that, and he didn't know that, when he signed the contract. We overpaid him, sure, but to take shots for a bloke for not playing at his best while often playing through pretty serious injury (i.e. playing on an ankle that needed surgery for a full season) is just embarrassing. Forget about the contract and just judge his performances for what they were.

Also, it is actually a pretty reasonable comparison. People are calling Tippett a monumental waste of money as if that automatically means that's a reflection on him. AJ has also been a monumental waste of money over the past 5 seasons, but it absolutely doesn't automatically reflect poorly on him. Sure, AJ's injuries have been more severe than Tippett's, but both have had injuries severely stunt their careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back