Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

AJ's injuries have been more severe than Tippett's, but both have had injuries severely stunt their careers.

Tipett's literally a career ending injury.

Tipett's literally a career ending injury.
Yeah, exactly. Potting the bloke is one thing, but to do it right after an injury has ended his career is poor form IMO.

Saw Dean Cox at Erina Fair today. Very large man. Whilst probably not still at his playing weight he was moving pretty well between Coles and the butcher. Now that there is a spot available maybe a player/coach role ...
Wow thats a loooooooong way from the SCG!

blood_lust

Debutant
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and its a little bit chemtrails.. but Lets be honest, the swans are smart operators.

After realising a full reconstruction was required last year - which he played through from round 2. Swans renegotiate to spread the salary across 3 years, telegraphing the possible retirement. Tippo has surgery on the club insurance + rehab for 2 months to get him back to long term ankle security at least. Meanwhile hes missed a preseason, ankles not what he wants and the swans offer him an out with a role yet to be announced. Deal made, 900k salary deal saved for the cap and both parties walk away happy.

I hope kurt gets a job basically, but i can't fault the swans for hedging their bets. Smart operating for what is, lets be honest, a business decision.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
If there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to his below average performances, particularly if those extenuating circumstances amounted to a work related injury, I'd be doing everything I could do rehabilitate him failing which I would be encouraging him into other suitable employment with my absolute best wishes.

I certainly wouldn't be slagging him off.

But you feel free to keep doing that. I can't stop you.

But know that it reflects on your own character.

EDIT: And if I did have words to impart of a critical nature I'd be saying them to his face, not on some anonymous internet forum. And if I wasn't prepared to say those words to his face, I wouldn't say them at all.

Fact is he was a HUGE underperfomer and he was vastly overpaid for his performance. Basically he was being paid for a potential he never came close to reaching and never had the potential to reach

Show me where i slagged him off? Something doesn't become fact just because you assert it it happened.

I wonder at the lack of spine of guys on chat forums who are petrified about having an honest opinion and then Grab their Pitchforks and run down other posters who give their individual opinion.
People that value group think mentality over individualism.
That to me shows a huge character fault. Lack of honesty with yourself

Let me make it clear for you Bruce: I'll stick to giving an honest and fair opinion as I have seen things and you can stick to your candy coated censored version of the truth, lest you feel you might hurt someones feelings

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
He was able to play, but much of those 4 years were spent playing through serious pain. We wouldn't have given him the contract if we knew that his body was going to fall apart, but we didn't know that, and he didn't know that, when he signed the contract. We overpaid him, sure, but to take shots for a bloke for not playing at his best while often playing through pretty serious injury (i.e. playing on an ankle that needed surgery for a full season) is just embarrassing. Forget about the contract and just judge his performances for what they were.

Also, it is actually a pretty reasonable comparison. People are calling Tippett a monumental waste of money as if that automatically means that's a reflection on him. AJ has also been a monumental waste of money over the past 5 seasons, but it absolutely doesn't automatically reflect poorly on him. Sure, AJ's injuries have been more severe than Tippett's, but both have had injuries severely stunt their careers.

Every player get injured, Tippet seemingly would get injured jogging along at half pace.
Tippet lacked intensity and effort. He often seemed more interested in the ball coming to him than making an effort to find the ball. Overall he seemed to lack a certain heart and toughness and ability you expect from our second highest player

These things, Injuries, Effort, Performance, Pay, are factors that supporters judge players and their worth to the club on

Why do you keep trying to link Alex Johnson to Kurt Tippet?? Your argument is so full of holes I feel embarrassed for you when I read it.
This is a thread to celebrate Kurt Tippet leaving, it has nothing at all to do with Alex Johnson. Next you will be bringing up overpaid players form other clubs as if that also is relevant

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Short memories... his first season with us was stellar...

Thanks for the highlights. That was brilliant!!!
It's a remarkable effort to get drafted let alone play one game of AFL footy. Kurt you managed to succeed in playing a valuable role at two AFL clubs.

Thank you for being a part of the Swans family. We appreciate your contribution and sacrifice in making the Swans such a successful and wonderful club for us all to support and wish you all the best in your future undertakings in life.

Every player get injured, Tippet seemingly would get injured jogging along at half pace.
Tippet lacked intensity and effort. He often seemed more interested in the ball coming to him than making an effort to find the ball. Overall he seemed to lack a certain heart and toughness and ability you expect from our second highest player

These things, Injuries, Effort, Performance, Pay, are factors that supporters judge players and their worth to the club on

Why do you keep trying to link Alex Johnson to Kurt Tippet?? Your argument is so full of holes I feel embarrassed for you when I read it.
This is a thread to celebrate Kurt Tippet leaving, it has nothing at all to do with Alex Johnson. Next you will be bringing up overpaid players form other clubs as if that also is relevant

"He often seemed more interested in the ball coming to him than making an effort to find the ball. Overall he seemed to lack a certain heart and toughness and ability you expect from our second highest player." Key word here being "seemed". Mate, he played with a broken jaw in 2016, and played needing surgery on his ankle for the entirety of 2017. That's not lacking heart to me.

My link to AJ isn't full of holes at all. AJ has an injury that prevents him from playing at all. Tippett had injuries that prevented him from playing at his best in his time with his Swans. Both of these things should be considered when judging their output over the last five years (obviously).

Gee. I hope you never get an injury that impedes you at work and have people questioning your effort and intensity.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Gee. I hope you never get an injury that impedes you at work and have people questioning your effort and intensity.

Even when Tippet wasn't injured he was incredibly average and didn't justify his salary nor did he often deserve a place in the first team

As for me buddy, If I was injured it would be irrelevant to my work. If however i started making poor decisions, gave 60% effort to my job and spent 5 years oh my high salary while not being able to justify it in the return it gave, then yeah, i would expect people should and would question my effort

He took far more from the team than he was capable of giving back

He might be a lovely guy but i am so happy he isn't clogging up out list anymore. Anyone who values the team performance first should be happy our most overpaid and under performing player has gone

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If you take the emotion out of it,the recruitment was a failure and a massive waste of money. Whether its due to injuries or poor form, we did not get value out of him. Its not a knock on kurt its just the way it went. He had the capabilites to be an elite forward however he never reached it. Now i know he suffered through injuries however in my uneducated opinion he didnt push as hard as he possible could to play through some of the injuries..he took the easy way out sometimes. Again its harsh for me to speculate when i have no knowledge of the situation what so ever but its just my gut feel, and im sure im not alone.

Buddy is one of the most talented players to ever play the game and he could have turned out to be a waste of money if hed done an acl early in the piece.

In saying that i really do think kurt lacked the heart and competitiveness to get the most out of himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short memories... his first season with us was stellar...

How many players in the comp could do what Tippo did at 2:00, let alone a 200cm/100kg guy.

Even when Tippet wasn't injured he was incredibly average and didn't justify his salary nor did he often deserve a place in the first team

As for me buddy, If I was injured it would be irrelevant to my work. If however i started making poor decisions, gave 60% effort to my job and spent 5 years oh my high salary while not being able to justify it in the return it gave, then yeah, i would expect people should and would question my effort

He took far more from the team than he was capable of giving back

He might be a lovely guy but i am so happy he isn't clogging up out list anymore. Anyone who values the team performance first should be happy our most overpaid and under performing player has gone
I'm happy an injury-prone bloke is off his books, but I certainly don't see a need to pot a bloke that was forced to retire (probably giving up $500k+) from his job due to injury.

Not sure what you mean by poor decisions, and not sure how you can prove he was giving 60% effort. Like someone pointed out earlier, what makes you think he would go out there in front of millions, having his every move analysed by his coaches and peers, and purposely not give 100%?

He was given far more than he was capable of giving back. Let's remember this. Tippett didn't force us to pay him $800k. We offered him $800k. And after his first season that was looking like a fantastic investment. Shame it didn't work out like that, but that's footy sometimes. He got moved from his position and posted near-elite numbers in 2015 and was in All-Australian form at the start of 2016, but all of that seems to be forgotten because sometimes he struggled a little bit when returning from injury.

How many players in the comp could do what Tippo did at 2:00, let alone a 200cm/100kg guy.
But apparently we should believe he wasn't doing this for his last few years due to a lack of effort. :rolleyes: For some reason, I think his body may have had (just a tiny, tiny) bit to do with it.

These things, Injuries, Effort, Performance, Pay, are factors that supporters judge players and their worth to the club on.

So roughly 2 hours a week is what you base this on?

Nobody has any idea about what level of effort Kurt was or wasn't putting in. There are 168 hours in a week, of which we are privy to 2 when the swans play a match.

I have no idea about what level of effort he was putting in the gym,at phsyio or at the training ground and neither does anyone else.

The 60% effort stuff is interesting. Why is it 60% and not 58 or 63? Would love to see the statistics where that came from. Always be suspicous of nice round numbers in sales or sports.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It's a shame the famous swans culture doesn't extend to the supporter base. I'm a team man as are many here. Tippett is a team man too.

When one individual insults anyone holding a different opinion to their own it gives me the s***s. The insults presuppose that he is actually right.......but he can't know that because it is opinion. One persons opinion against the next. And there are a LOT of informed people here, myself excluded lol. Cast your opinion and let it alone I say. it will either float or sink in the tide that is bigfooty. When you have to try and belittle others ( who support a team man) then kinda suggests the opinion won't float on it's own doesn't it. And those that witness the process gain only one perspective......about a character flaw but not of the person who has been insulted with that remark.

Because I'm a team man there is nothing I would have enjoyed more than for Tippett to rise this year and show his true ability that we had glimpses of to slay the naysayers. He can't. His body won't allow it. Takes a big man to walk away from something he loves for the betterment of the team. Take my hat off to you Tippo for your class and your play and the role you played as a swans team man.

Jedi Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I know people are very quick to malign the man, but - as an SA resident - I will always appreciate Tippett for making so, so many Crows fans devastatingly bitter over burning their garbage club of whingers. Best of luck KT

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and its a little bit chemtrails.. but Lets be honest, the swans are smart operators.

After realising a full reconstruction was required last year - which he played through from round 2. Swans renegotiate to spread the salary across 3 years, telegraphing the possible retirement. Tippo has surgery on the club insurance + rehab for 2 months to get him back to long term ankle security at least. Meanwhile hes missed a preseason, ankles not what he wants and the swans offer him an out with a role yet to be announced. Deal made, 900k salary deal saved for the cap and both parties walk away happy.

I hope kurt gets a job basically, but i can't fault the swans for hedging their bets. Smart operating for what is, lets be honest, a business decision.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

People seem to have completely failed to understand what Kurt did for the club last year and the clubs management now makes sense. I understand that they took the last year of his contract and split the payment over three years. That means it freed up cap space so we could for instance re-sign Jones. Not very smart people on here saying he cost us - no, he just saved us from losing Jones.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
At the time of signing Kurt, the money we were prepared to pay him (although huge) was understandable as the major deficiency we had at the time was that of a key forward. His first year (half year) was more than reasonable however Buddy then came along and Tippett's role in the team as the "go to" forward was gone. Through no fault of his own, he was the second highest paid player in the club yet no longer had a specific role. When swung into the ruck, which was now his best position for the team albeit not his best position personally, he performed extremely well until injured.
Paying that sort of money for a ruckman was way above what you should be paying but that was the club's doing and not Tippett's. It seems that he spent the remainder of his career with one injury or another and was never able to recapture that form.
Am I disappointed that he has now retired. NO! Not because I blame him for the Swans lack of a flag over the past few years. Horrible circumstances, beyond his control, contributed to that. The likelihood that we would have to continue with such a huge salary cap hindrance for a player who was simply unable (for a number of reasons) to warrant it was damning to the club. The fact that we will now be able to use that cap space in 2019 and 2020 to bring in a better than average player is great news.
The reality is that we need this desperately. Whereas most other rival top 8 clubs improved their list during last year's trading period we included no-one and are now in fact one key player less than last year. Most senior people in football always say that "if you don't improve every year, you are going backwards". I'm not sure we are going to improve in 2018 so I hope that the form of rounds 7 to 23 last year is enough for us to contend again this year.
I don't blame Tippett for taking the huge offer that was put to him by us. Every one of us on this forum would have gladly said yes if given the opportunity. Injury free for those 5 years, it could have proved to have been a great deal for both he and the club but it just wasn't to be.
So, in finishing, I wish Kurt all the best for his future in whatever that holds for him but in saying that I'm pleased that he has retired and will no longer be holding a noose around the club from a salary cap perspective.

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just on the whole topic of "supporting players no matter what" and at all that - the fact of the matter is most hardcore fans care more about the "club" (as an abstract entity) than the players do. These guys are out there doing a job trying to make money. Very few of them would have supported club growing up and all of them would leave for better circumstances if necessary. I'm not saying this to have a go at players at all - it's the very nature of professional sport.

This idea that a supporter has to offer some strange blind allegiance and support to the players is weird. Yeah, don't be a moron about it, but supporters criticising players is, again, the very nature of professional sport. This isn't under 13s.

The fact is by pretty much every metric the recruitment of Tippett was a huge mistake. I couldn't imagine there's a single person out there that would get in a time machine back to just after the 2012 flag and recruit Tippett again. He took up a significant chunk of the cap for years and didn't give us the performance someone getting paid that salary should. Obviously he faced a lot of injuries and I'd also argue it was clear our coaching panel had no idea how to use him and Buddy in the same team. Heck, it didn't make much sense in the first place that we went and recruited a relatively immobile forward who plays his best football deep forward when our entire gameplan revolved around team defence shifting up the ground to leave space in the forward 50.

I see people talking about his time in the ruck I think in 2015 as his best performances at the club, but I think his first 11 games for us in 2013 before getting injured in the semi final were clearly his best. 35 goals in 11 games as the focal point of the forward line.

Honestly, if we were allowed to (I.e. we had American rules when it came to trading) we should have traded him at the end of 2013 or the very latest 2014. You don't pay that money for a ruck/forward and at that stage it was clear that's all he could be with Buddy in the team.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Just on the whole topic of "supporting players no matter what" and at all that - the fact of the matter is most hardcore fans care more about the "club" (as an abstract entity) than the players do. These guys are out there doing a job trying to make money. Very few of them would have supported club growing up and all of them would leave for better circumstances if necessary. I'm not saying this to have a go at players at all - it's the very nature of professional sport.

This idea that a supporter has to offer some strange blind allegiance and support to the players is weird. Yeah, don't be a moron about it, but supporters criticising players is, again, the very nature of professional sport. This isn't under 13s.

The fact is by pretty much every metric the recruitment of Tippett was a huge mistake. I couldn't imagine there's a single person out there that would get in a time machine back to just after the 2012 flag and recruit Tippett again. He took up a significant chunk of the cap for years and didn't give us the performance someone getting paid that salary should. Obviously he faced a lot of injuries and I'd also argue it was clear our coaching panel had no idea how to use him and Buddy in the same team. Heck, it didn't make much sense in the first place that we went and recruited a relatively immobile forward who plays his best football deep forward when our entire gameplan revolved around team defence shifting up the ground to leave space in the forward 50.

I see people talking about his time in the ruck I think in 2015 as his best performances at the club, but I think his first 11 games for us in 2013 before getting injured in the semi final were clearly his best. 35 goals in 11 games as the focal point of the forward line.

Honestly, if we were allowed to (I.e. we had American rules when it came to trading) we should have traded him at the end of 2013 or the very latest 2014. You don't pay that money for a ruck/forward and at that stage it was clear that's all he could be with Buddy in the team.
I agree with your point as to how he was used with Buddy.
Had Chris Scott had Buddy, Tippett and Goodes all in the one forward line Geelong would have kicked 20 plus goals every week as their game plan revolved around offence. Here we were, with the forward line most coaches could only dream of yet our one and only priority was defence. T'is a shame we didn't splurge the $800K on recruiting Rance instead of Tippett.

I agree with your point as to how he was used with Buddy.
Had Chris Scott had Buddy, Tippett and Goodes all in the one forward line Geelong would have kicked 20 plus goals every week as their game plan revolved around offence. Here we were, with the forward line most coaches could only dream of yet our one and only priority was defence. T'is a shame we didn't splurge the $800K on recruiting Rance instead of Tippett.

I guess it depends...
I wasn't disappointed at the end of the 2005 or 2012 GF when we didn't kick 20 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back