Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Who will we splash tippos cash upon in 2019?

It's hard to say given we are not sure of our current salary cap position (even before the Tippett retirement).

Money will be spent first and foremost on players we want to keep. I'd expect a Lloyd re-sign announcement soon given he would be a priority and the Tippett situation would have given us a clearer picture of the next few years. Certainly retaining the players we want should now be straight forward you'd hope.

After that, I am not well versed on the many players in the comp, but I'd be interested in a line breaking half back with good kicking. Or on an outside mid with kicking skills and (ideally) speed.

We might get some of those things from our list.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Who will we splash tippos cash upon in 2019?
I really don't mind who, as long as we continue to rort the system as we have in the last 20 years as it has gifted us 5 GFs & 2 p'ships in that time as opposed to when it was a more even playing field like in 86 & 87 when we finished with tbe double chance in both years & never played a home final with consecutive finals in Victoria for consecutive straight sets exits.

Last edited:

............After that, I am not well versed on the many players in the comp, but I'd be interested in a line breaking half back with good kicking. Or on an outside mid with kicking skills and (ideally) speed.

We might get some of those things from our list.
We've recruited 4 or 5 of these in the last two drafts, just need to see if they'll make the grade. Hayward will end up a wingman and will certainly make the grade.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We've recruited 4 or 5 of these in the last two drafts, just need to see if they'll make the grade. Hayward will end up a wingman and will certainly make the grade.

I totally agree but no guarantees, they will take time to develop etc. I could see them looking for a stopgap measure to give them time to develop.

With Grundy, Smith and McVeigh in their twilight, they also may want additional exposed AFL experience in the back 6.

MitchelltoBayes

Debutant
Jan 4, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers & Giants
I totally agree but no guarantees, they will take time to develop etc. I could see them looking for a stopgap measure to give them time to develop.

With Grundy, Smith and McVeigh in their twilight, they also may want additional exposed AFL experience in the back 6.

Blakey and Ling will take care of that!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Blakey and Ling will take care of that!

Hopefully but again doesn't help with experience and I raise you Lewis Johnston and Patrick Veszpremi, throw
in Jed Lamb and Daniel O'Keefe if you like ! ;)

No guarantees.

We are in the market to win premierships not gift games. So if the right player comes along where we are deficient either of talent or experience (or both) then we would be stupid not to act, especially if we have space to do so.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Hopefully but again doesn't help with experience and I raise you Lewis Johnston and Patrick Veszpremi, throw
in Jed Lamb and Daniel O'Keefe if you like ! ;)

No guarantees.

We are in the market to win premierships not gift games. So if the right player comes along where we are deficient either of talent or experience (or both) then we would be stupid not to act, especially if we have space to do so.
Thanks for mentioning DOK, talk about having to retire because of injury...sounds familiar and gets same recognition as Tippett! Supporters know better though, don’t we?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Mixed reviews on the big bloke.

Had the swans won either the 2014 or 2016 Grand final, I reckon some people would of seen the Kurt tippet deal in different light.

When teams win a flag or make a grand final, they either Keep the same team together if they are young enough or become weaker if a Stalwart or a club hero retires after the grand final win. Swans of 2012 became stronger after getting Kurt tippet controversially.

People were either blinded with hatred or blinded with a drunken rage saying the Swans Used the COLA to get Kurt tippet. After doing the Research, The Swans fitted him under the cap.

Here is what people forget. When the Swans won the Flag in 2012, Swans had a spare $600,000 in the cap, how was it possible? Heres how... Back in the end of 2009, the swans needed a tall forward to replace Barry Hall. They got Daniel Bradshaw from Brisbane in the PSD. They gave him a 3 year deal at $600,000 a year from 2010-2012. Bradshaw retired in the middle of 2011 due to injuries. The swans still had o pay his final year in 2012 out.

Essentially it was the Bradshaw money was used to get tippet, not the COLA.

People tend to forget that. 3 ways on teams free up cap space.

1. The salary cap increases every year

2. Club Legends retire and some that are key players, will free up large amounts of space/cash.

3. Fringe players that are surplus or "List cloggers" who are not on big money are cut due to being surplus to requirements

Mixed reviews on the big bloke.

Had the swans won either the 2014 or 2016 Grand final, I reckon some people would of seen the Kurt tippet deal in different light.

When teams win a flag or make a grand final, they either Keep the same team together if they are young enough or become weaker if a Stalwart or a club hero retires after the grand final win. Swans of 2012 became stronger after getting Kurt tippet controversially.

People were either blinded with hatred or blinded with a drunken rage saying the Swans Used the COLA to get Kurt tippet. After doing the Research, The Swans fitted him under the cap.

Here is what people forget. When the Swans won the Flag in 2012, Swans had a spare $600,000 in the cap, how was it possible? Heres how... Back in the end of 2009, the swans needed a tall forward to replace Barry Hall. They got Daniel Bradshaw from Brisbane in the PSD. They gave him a 3 year deal at $600,000 a year from 2010-2012. Bradshaw retired in the middle of 2011 due to injuries. The swans still had o pay his final year in 2012 out.

Essentially it was the Bradshaw money was used to get tippet, not the COLA.

People tend to forget that. 3 ways on teams free up cap space.

1. The salary cap increases every year

2. Club Legends retire and some that are key players, will free up large amounts of space/cash.

3. Fringe players that are surplus or "List cloggers" who are not on big money are cut due to being surplus to requirements
Thank you for this wonderful, logical and dare I say it TRUTHFUL post. It is so refreshing to see a non-Swans supporter that actually realises and understands that everything we have done this decade is quite simply skillful list management and not cheating.
Can you please read and respond in kind to every dreadful, vitriolic and downright misinformed post or article written about "the salary cap cheating" Swans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Maybe we can convince one of the academy boys that doesn't make it to try their hand at umpiring?
Well to be honest, I would hope we are already targeting future umpires. They shouldn't be hard to identify. They are the sons and daughters of Swans fans who shed tears all over their mini red and white scarves during the 2016 Grand Final disgrace.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Thank you for this wonderful, logical and dare I say it TRUTHFUL post. It is so refreshing to see a non-Swans supporter that actually realises and understands that everything we have done this decade is quite simply skillful list management and not cheating.
Can you please read and respond in kind to every dreadful, vitriolic and downright misinformed post or article written about "the salary cap cheating" Swans?
I cant fight all your battles. Oh and the post you quoted that I wrote, I posted that on the main board on the tippet retirement page. Some of the things I remember about the swans in the last few years is that they are willing to pay a fair bit for quality key forwards.

Despite his fearsome reputation, Barry Hall as a decent forward at the swans. Still remember Halls last game, it was against the crows. He punched Ben rutten in the head. Paul Roos being the disciplinarian that he is gave out a press conference in saying hall played his last game for the swans. Once hall was traded to the dogs, they Used the Hall money to secure Bradshaw for 3 years from 2010-12. Once Bradshaw was gone, he was Replaced by Tippet.

Now Considering Tippett is retired, I assume that is a fair bit of cap space to lure a free agent.

Well to be honest, I would hope we are already targeting future umpires. They shouldn't be hard to identify. They are the sons and daughters of Swans fans who shed tears all over their mini red and white scarves during the 2016 Grand Final disgrace.

There has to be at least one kid amongst that lot whose life ambition is to right the wrongs of that day. We just need to find them, stick them in a room with a replay of 2016 on repeat and show them pictures of fat Eddie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back