Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
So roughly 2 hours a week is what you base this on?

Nobody has any idea about what level of effort Kurt was or wasn't putting in. There are 168 hours in a week, of which we are privy to 2 when the swans play a match.

I have no idea about what level of effort he was putting in the gym,at phsyio or at the training ground and neither does anyone else.

The 60% effort stuff is interesting. Why is it 60% and not 58 or 63? Would love to see the statistics where that came from. Always be suspicous of nice round numbers in sales or sports.
Good grief!
The guy massively underperformed
Call a spade a spade and stop looking for excuses in life

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm happy an injury-prone bloke is off his books, but I certainly don't see a need to pot a bloke that was forced to retire (probably giving up $500k+) from his job due to injury.

Not sure what you mean by poor decisions, and not sure how you can prove he was giving 60% effort. Like someone pointed out earlier, what makes you think he would go out there in front of millions, having his every move analysed by his coaches and peers, and purposely not give 100%?

He was given far more than he was capable of giving back. Let's remember this. Tippett didn't force us to pay him $800k. We offered him $800k. And after his first season that was looking like a fantastic investment. Shame it didn't work out like that, but that's footy sometimes. He got moved from his position and posted near-elite numbers in 2015 and was in All-Australian form at the start of 2016, but all of that seems to be forgotten because sometimes he struggled a little bit when returning from injury.

But apparently we should believe he wasn't doing this for his last few years due to a lack of effort. :rolleyes: For some reason, I think his body may have had (just a tiny, tiny) bit to do with it.

Your unsupported speculation in no way out trumps my own speculation

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Any benefit of Tippett retiring in terms of contract wont be felt for at least another season as his exit payment reaches into next years salary as well. Unless they backload someones contract I think we'll just be renewing players again and focusing on the draft (and rightly so when you consider Blakey is coming through this year)

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/ceb3544f8ec28210f86bb8645486bd81

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
Back in old Blighty - before bairns. Fu 2, ran around an XJ v12 2 door soft top.
First saw it in anothers yard.
Nice big motor, lovely lines. And, after the initial roadworthy wait, a somewhat success.
Barrelling up the A21 in Kent, from Pratts bottom to Badgers Mount. The world was our ashtray so it seemed.
Then without warning, rehab - sorry breakdown set about.

These ones aint daily drivers Guv. Said the overall engulfed oaf.
After a couple of years of rehab and rebuild, aggreeance arrived. Time to terminate this for both.

Shame though, at time this seemed right fit for Fu.

Your unsupported speculation in no way out trumps my own speculation
Except it does, because it's far more logical. Nobody from within the club, or with proper connections in the club, has commented on a lack of effort from Kurt, and therefore it's pretty natural to assume there wasn't a clear lack of effort from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Which is still better than Tippett was unfortunately.
Vickery got a reported 500k per year. Tippett is unknown but for the sake of argument we'll say he was on 1mil every season including next year.

Going by those numbers Vickery earned $166,666 per game he played. Tippett earned $81,081 per game he played. Or let's do it by goal, Vickery kicked 2 goals his whole time at the Hawks earning him half a million dollars per goal! I don't even think Messi earns that sort of coin. Tippett earned $74,000 per goal scored.

I don't know how you think Vickery was better value than Tippett was..........

I don't know how you think Vickery was better value than Tippett was..........

Both were terrible- at least 1 of them only stayed on a list for 2 years. Both were awful though, that is just reality, yeah both had injuries but their output wasn't great.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Tippett has retired & what ever money he was on last season & in retirement is pure speculation.
Now let's move on & leave it be because not one person on here disagreed with the club, post p'ship in 2012, when we recruited him on big coin.
Hands up those who did & show me proof. It's very tiring reading the repetitive stuff based on hindsight.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Both were terrible- at least 1 of them only stayed on a list for 2 years. Both were awful though, that is just reality, yeah both had injuries but their output wasn't great.
Tippett was far from awful when fully fit and to compare him to Vickery is ridiculous. His recruitment was not the success we hoped but he played some very good football at times, you seem to forget he was our leading goalkicker in 2013 playing half a season. Remind me of how many goals Tyrone kicked in his first year at Hawthorn.

Each to their own I feel it’s best to agree to disagree. My view is that half a season to a season of form won’t change my view that he was ordinary for us and I do feel I’m being very fair there. Let’s agree to disagree.

2013 he was excellent. Our key forward for the future.
2014 he was ok, still kicked 34 goals in 14 games but didn't have as much impact as the previous season.
2015 started off similar to 2014 but then he moved into the ruck and was excellent. Our best finals players next to JPK.
2016 he was outstanding before his injury. Second half of the year he shouldn't have played as he was clearly not ready.
2017 was a disaster through no fault of his own in my opinion. Just a complete breakdown of his body.

this guy must be one of the worst high paid recruits in the history of the league
History might say yes but I think the combination of the recruitment of Bud and his body consistently breaking down on him played a huge part in that.
Had the cards fallen differently, we might all be looking at his recruitment in a very different light.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Tippett has retired & what ever money he was on last season & in retirement is pure speculation.
Now let's move on & leave it be because not one person on here disagreed with the club, post p'ship in 2012, when we recruited him on big coin.
Hands up those who did & show me proof. It's very tiring reading the repetitive stuff based on hindsight.

Thread is closed so can't quote directly.
Copy & paste.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-trade-to-sydney.975735/page-23#post-25961340

So we are supposed to be offering Tippett $800k-$1mill pa.

That would at the very least (on the lower end of the scale) make him our 2nd highest paid player.

Tippett wasn't even the best forward at Adelaide last year. We are offering superstar wages for a player who clearly isn't in that category. He's 25yo, has averaged 4 marks & 2 goals a game in his career plus 8 HOs per game. Reasonable stats but those of a $1mill a year man?

In the last week every article about the club has seemingly mentioned the 'Bloods culture'; the team first creed.
How does paying a player such as Tippett $800-$1mill pa possibly fit in with that ethos?

This is also a player who this season has become worryingly susceptible to concussion. As Scott Stevens (sadly) demonstrated some players are more affected by head knocks that others. By the end of Scott's career even relatively minor clashes were leading to concussion, until ultimately after another fairly innocuous collision he was forced to quit the game.

Lastly other clubs have been quiet on our cost of living allowance in recent times. I wonder if they will remain so if the Premiers go out and sign a $1 mill a year player?

Would a fit Tippett improve our side?
I would have thought so.

But as with many things in life a cost has to be applied to the benefit.
At $800-$1mill pa I think the cost far far outweighs the benefit.

ps no idea why post is in blueo_O

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

Thread is closed so can't quote directly.
Copy & paste.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-trade-to-sydney.975735/page-23#post-25961340

So we are supposed to be offering Tippett $800k-$1mill pa.

That would at the very least (on the lower end of the scale) make him our 2nd highest paid player.

Tippett wasn't even the best forward at Adelaide last year. We are offering superstar wages for a player who clearly isn't in that category. He's 25yo, has averaged 4 marks & 2 goals a game in his career plus 8 HOs per game. Reasonable stats but those of a $1mill a year man?

In the last week every article about the club has seemingly mentioned the 'Bloods culture'; the team first creed.
How does paying a player such as Tippett $800-$1mill pa possibly fit in with that ethos?

This is also a player who this season has become worryingly susceptible to concussion. As Scott Stevens (sadly) demonstrated some players are more affected by head knocks that others. By the end of Scott's career even relatively minor clashes were leading to concussion, until ultimately after another fairly innocuous collision he was forced to quit the game.

Lastly other clubs have been quiet on our cost of living allowance in recent times. I wonder if they will remain so if the Premiers go out and sign a $1 mill a year player?

Would a fit Tippett improve our side?
I would have thought so.

But as with many things in life a cost has to be applied to the benefit.
At $800-$1mill pa I think the cost far far outweighs the benefit.

ps no idea why post is in blueo_O

One person!
Anyone else care to back up their after the fact whinging with proof of an early call on Tippo.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Except it does, because it's far more logical. Nobody from within the club, or with proper connections in the club, has commented on a lack of effort from Kurt, and therefore it's pretty natural to assume there wasn't a clear lack of effort from him.

There is no logic in your argument at all. Just creating more unsupported evidence to justify your claim. You attempt to draw factual conclusions from personal suppositions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back