Kurt Tippett retires due to injury and fitness concerns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv the way Sydney went about it.
Didnt live up to the promise he was showing but nothing unusual about that. Still did us very proud in many many games.

Wish Kurt all the best. He's done the right thing by himself and the club on his retirement. Standard compromise deal to the benefit of both.
He could have hung around collecting more money but is now a respected veteran of one of the games great foundation clubs.

Thanks Adelaide.
Loved the tears and whinging.
Any more dodgy deals on the books, you know where to call.

p.s. did i mention you got nothing for him ? Dont forget to add that little forgotten nugget to the list of what it cost for being a s**t club run by a bunch of inept amateurs. You cant even run an off season camp without making players want to leave.

Lol, I highly doubt you’ll find anybody at Adelaide, Sydney or anywhere else that respects Tippett.

Payments to rookie listed players get a discount in terms of their impact on TPP. I'd say the reason for rookie listing him is the same as Hawthorn rookie-listing Langford - it's way to minimise the impact of the negotiated settlement on your salary cap.

I reckon we'll start to see this happen a fair bit for players who 'retire' while contracted. Unless the AFL decide they don't like the 'optics' of it and change the rules.
I suspect it has more to do with spreading the payout over 2 years.

Fantastic player in multiple roles and positions for pretty much all of his career except for a couple of months near the end of 2016 and 2017, which for some reason completely tarnished his legacy as a player. The common opinion is that he was a spud at Sydney but quite the contrary - he was fantastic but he came to a premature end.

Gun player who wanted to make the most money he could in a very short career. I don’t rebuke his decision in the slightest.

Was he really that bad compared to the rest?
Good point they were all shithouse and along with the s**t the umpires pulled it was a disappointing day. Trouble was Kurt was not that disappointed and displayed that with comments straight after the game in the rooms and was dealt with by either an unhappy Franklin or Grundy. Which one i dont know.

Was he really that bad compared to the rest?

He just shouldnt have played. Wasnt fit at all for the second half of the year cause we rushed him back from injury.

Fantastic player in multiple roles and positions for pretty much all of his career except for a couple of months near the end of 2016 and 2017, which for some reason completely tarnished his legacy as a player. The common opinion is that he was a spud at Sydney but quite the contrary - he was fantastic but he came to a premature end.

Gun player who wanted to make the most money he could in a very short career. I don’t rebuke his decision in the slightest.
I remember he was their leading goal kicker in his first season despite missing out on the first half of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tippett first decided to remain on the rookie list when the news broke that Cyril Rioli had retired.

Good point they were all shithouse and along with the s**t the umpires pulled it was a disappointing day. Trouble was Kurt was not that disappointed and displayed that with comments straight after the game in the rooms and was dealt with by either an unhappy Franklin or Grundy. Which one i dont know.

I thought we established this was nonsense.
How dare any other player other than JPK question another player's attitude after that day.

Can someone, anyone, please tell us all how much Tippett is on in season 2019 & was on in season 2018.

All I have ever seen is this from June 2017
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/d4486948b12266a8d28cad58e48fdd5a
"The Daily Telegraph understands Tippett wants to play out his career in red and white and was happy to take a pay cut to secure added time on his contract. This was negotiated 12 months ago when the big man was in career best form.The former Adelaide Crow initially signed for the Swans on a four-year deal at an estimated $1 million per season. The deal has been extended twice at a significantly reduced amount.
Swans football manager Tom Harley confirmed the duration of Tippett’s contract but would not discuss the financial details of the deal.

This from Jan 2018.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-kurt-tippett-retires-from-afl-20180122-h0mc72.html
"The 30-year-old, who also played for Adelaide, had an ankle reconstruction after last season.
"It's really tough to leave a game and a club which I really love but the reality is that my body isn't going to stand up to the rigours of professional football," Tippett said in a statement on Monday."

And this in Feb 2018

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/ceb3544f8ec28210f86bb8645486bd81
A handicapped Sydney could be forced to go one player short on their primary list in consecutive years because of the late retirement of Kurt Tippett.

"The highly-paid Tippett had three years of his contract to run when he surprisingly retired last month, citing fitness concerns after an ankle reconstruction late last year. The Swans will have to play one short this year and almost certainly again next year because of strict AFL salary cap rules. Sydney could have limited Tippett’s retirement damage to this year alone but his financial settlement is understood to be way beyond their 2018 total player payments limit, meaning his exit figure will probably have to be extended into the club’s 2019 salary cap, which could lead to him becoming automatically retained on Sydney’s list.

The Swans will not publicly reveal Tippett’s negotiated payout — believed to be a confidential $1 million-plus settlement, but much less than his contract was worth — however it is understood he will not have to remain a listed player for a third straight year, in 2020.

Why this is all suddenly a surprise has me scratching my head.
Especially by Swan supporters.

How dare any other player other than JPK question another player's attitude after that day.

Can someone, anyone, please tell us all how much Tippett is on in season 2019 & was on in season 2018.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/d4486948b12266a8d28cad58e48fdd5a
"The Daily Telegraph understands Tippett wants to play out his career in red and white and was happy to take a pay cut to secure added time on his contract. This was negotiated 12 months ago when the big man was in career best form.The former Adelaide Crow initially signed for the Swans on a four-year deal at an estimated $1 million per season. The deal has been extended twice at a significantly reduced amount.
Swans football manager Tom Harley confirmed the duration of Tippett’s contract but would not discuss the financial details of the deal.

This from Jan 2018.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-kurt-tippett-retires-from-afl-20180122-h0mc72.html
"The 30-year-old, who also played for Adelaide, had an ankle reconstruction after last season.
"It's really tough to leave a game and a club which I really love but the reality is that my body isn't going to stand up to the rigours of professional football," Tippett said in a statement on Monday."

And this in Feb 2018

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/ceb3544f8ec28210f86bb8645486bd81
A handicapped Sydney could be forced to go one player short on their primary list in consecutive years because of the late retirement of Kurt Tippett.

"The highly-paid Tippett had three years of his contract to run when he surprisingly retired last month, citing fitness concerns after an ankle reconstruction late last year. The Swans will have to play one short this year and almost certainly again next year because of strict AFL salary cap rules. Sydney could have limited Tippett’s retirement damage to this year alone but his financial settlement is understood to be way beyond their 2018 total player payments limit, meaning his exit figure will probably have to be extended into the club’s 2019 salary cap, which could lead to him becoming automatically retained on Sydney’s list.

The Swans will not publicly reveal Tippett’s negotiated payout — believed to be a confidential $1 million-plus settlement, but much less than his contract was worth — however it is understood he will not have to remain a listed player for a third straight year, in 2020.

The surprise part - His move from the main list?

The surprise part - His move from the main list?
That's stuff for the club big boys. Our club knows what it's doing. The whole thing didn't work out as we would have wanted but we aren't on our Pat Malone with that. For all we know he could just be on the 100K rookie wage or whatever or he could be on 300K.

But his last two contract extensions he signed were for "a significantly reduced amount".

That's stuff for the club big boys. Our club knows what it's doing. The whole thing didn't work out as we would have wanted but we aren't on our Pat Malone with that. For all we know he could just be on the 100K rookie wage or whatever or he could be on 300K.

But his last two contract extensions he signed were for "a significantly reduced amount".

I am bit ignorant about this subject.

But if a player resigns they are removed from the list, and any payout is outside the cap. Except for a FA.

Why not with Tippett? Is it because of the way he got to the Swans, via the controvesry?

This from Jan 2018.

And this in Feb 2018

Ted what does all of this have to do with him being held up by his ears in the MCG change rooms after that game ? Who come out anx made the statement that the incident was all nonsense ? As far as still paying him or him still being on the list i really dont care because to me he is as irrelevant now as he was when he was playing.

Ted what does all of this have to do with him being held up by his ears in the MCG change rooms after that game ? Who come out anx made the statement that the incident was all nonsense ? As far as still paying him or him still being on the list i really dont care because to me he is as irrelevant now as he was when he was playing.

I thought that it was decided on our board that it was just rumour not long after that GF.
I may remember it differently.

That's fine you don't care, no probs. I was just stating what was actually said from those articles, for others to read, without the innuendo & bullshit about him still being on $1M.

They got less than nothing they got draft penalties
Yepp.

The Tally

Adelaide Lost :

THREE first round picks.
Two Second Round Picks.
CEO guilty, suspended from footy admin 6 months, fined $50,000
Adelaide FC guilty fined $300,000

Merely pointing out how Adelaide seem to conveniently forget they also missed receiving another 1st rnd pick for a marquee player trade.

All Sydney did was pay slightly overs on his contract to secure him, whilst having the luxury of plenty of cap space after retirements.

I dont think many understand just how cheap that made him...he cost NOTHING but maybe 200Kpa overs. Worked out to be 780K over 4 yrs. Cheap as chips with no compensation traded. Not even a token 4th rounder...he cost us ZERO. Not bad when you consider the Dees paid Mitch Clark near 700K plus cost their first rnd pick. That worked well.

Any club would it all day long. We dream about getting a big KPF that rucks, with a bloody good record, in his prime...for nothing.

Yepp, if there are anymore Tippett's on offer out there we'll happily offer even more these days. We arnt the only one.

Damn good footballer. Not a champion, but served us well. Unfortunately his body couldnt hold up and missed vital periods.

Not the first or last time we dont actually get a champion for free :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Lol, I have been over Kurt for years.
At the time I thought he helped screw over my club, but he did do a favour of finally forcing out Trigg.
Now I'm thinking he screwed your club just as much. Poor character best gone.
No you arnt, and you know he didnt.
Dont make it too obvious how much it hurts, or flogs like me will prey on it.

You lost Phis Davis Nathan Bock and Jack Gunston. But hey, who could blame them. You shat the bed something fierce when Tippett was going to leave....and got caught.

Tippett played 4 1/2 seasons at my club. Oh dear. We havent won a flag in alllll that time ?...with 18 clubs in the comp.

Maybe i should ask who hasnt won s**t for 20 years ? That amateur plastic franchise that is Adelaide Crows. A laughing stock that cant even run a preseason camp without making more players want to run away.

I thought that it was decided on our board that it was just rumour not long after that GF.
I may remember it differently.

That's fine you don't care, no probs. I was just stating what was actually said from those articles, for others to read, without the innuendo & bullshit about him still being on $1M.

Mate it is what it is. Disappointing the way things turned out but no use crying over spilt milk. Move on. I will be more disappointed if we don't salute just once under Buddy's tenure. That will be a greater disappointment than Tippett's performance,length of contract, salary or injury woes that seen him less productive than he was capable of I can tell You.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back