Kurt Tippett retires due to injury and fitness concerns.

Remove this Banner Ad

This just reinforces the belief that the big fella could never play with injury, whereas some guys can still compete on a premiership winning level despite carrying fractured vertebrae or torn ankle ligaments.

Played his best football in Adelaide, where he used to give Brian Lake nightmares.

Depends on the injury really. An ankle injury for instance it is much harder to perform at the level required than a shoulder injury, or even a groin injury.

Keep back dooring clubs with your AFL hand outs. I wouldn't stress the AFL will probably make a rule allowing Sydney free access to any key forward.
F***k off, we continually develop late picks into good players then trade them cheap to clubs that can't breed their own. How about you go burn a dwarf in the bottom 8 while Membrey kicks more goals than your number one pick.

Not necessarily as sure Buddy would love to win more flags, but it isn't the only thing he was considering as it was clear Hawthorn were going to be in contention for flags for the next few years when he left. I think one of the reasons Buddy left was because of quality of life, as he could walk down the street without being harassed in Sydney. I am willing to bet day to day Lance is far more relaxed in Sydney than he was in Melbourne.
GWS?

In his own words he said Sydney over GWS because of flags sooner - he said GWS will be a flag winning team in four-five years

It’s now 4-5 years later.....

No flags.

GWS?

In his own words he said Sydney over GWS because of flags sooner - he said GWS will be a flag winning team in four-five years

It’s now 4-5 years later.....

No flags.

He never said he was leaving for flags though. Of course he wanted to be in contention, but he was not leaving the Hawks because he thought his chances of winning more flags were going to be greater elsewhere.

F***k off, we continually develop late picks into good players then trade them cheap to clubs that can't breed their own. How about you go burn a dwarf in the bottom 8 while Membrey kicks more goals than your number one pick.

Yeah what guns you've developed Hall Tippet Franklin plus huge risks at 19 on Heeney.

Was a gun playing as a full-time ruck in 2016 before he got injured (ankle I think?)
Never really regained his confidence, athleticism and form

I think this is very wrong. When he wasn't injured he was a very damaging player for us.

Would of rather we use the money on keeping tom mitchell or signing other players we could of had a crack at over the years

He never said he was leaving for flags though. Of course he wanted to be in contention, but he was not leaving the Hawks because he thought his chances of winning more flags were going to be greater elsewhere.
He made his decision after the Swans beat Hawthorn in a GF in 2012. Such a decision may have made sense (flag wise) based on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably for the best because I actually thought Tippet could have been traded or de-listed either last year (2016) or after this season (2017) because his last few seasons haven been good enough for someone on his coin.

Last edited:

That's a bit unfair ! Didn't you know Fatso is training the house down ??? :rolleyes:

Nearly as bad a Number 1 Pick as Richmond's Anthony Banik.

Vickery, Griffiths and now Tippett.

All similar players by way of position all pulled the pin post National Draft.

Very strange off season.
Vickery did announce his retirement prior to the National Draft. He does stay on the list for 2018 and his wage will be included in the Salary Cap.

I don’t really understand the dislike that certain people seem to have toward Tippett but from a pragmatic point of view there is no doubt he wasn’t worth the money. 50 good games is not worth millions of dollars.

Depends on when they are played !!! Speaking from experience here....

He made his decision after the Swans beat Hawthorn in a GF in 2012. Such a decision may have made sense (flag wise) based on this.

He made the decision to contact the Swans after the 2012 Grand Final, but he did not actually sign with the Swans until after the 2013 Grand Final, and I could be wrong but I suspect an offer to Buddy was still on the table from Hawthorn around that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back