Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see Kurt play the same way he did in the 2012 preliminary final, he was unstoppable. If he could produce some performances like that again, I reckon he would elevate us to a whole new level. Ruck hasn't been as good for him as the forward line has. Get him at full forward with Papley at his feet and Bud up the ground and it could change the team. Maybe I'm a bit harsh on him, but I'm just disappointed in some of his performances, especially in the big games. I don't think he had a possession in the 2nd quarter on Saturday. But if he could tear a game apart like in 2012, then he could be massive for our flag chances next year and beyond.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because Tippett is a much better forward than Mumford will ever be, will some get some PERSPECTIVE PLEASE Tippett was in the elite category for a good half of the season till he tore his tendon of the bone we all thought thats it for season 2016 and along with Tippett goes our flag chances.

He comes back a week before the finals gets his jaw cracked by that thug Mumford plays out the game and comes back a WEEK later to play against Geelong with a broken jaw and the following week plays in a GF.

Now if you wanna discuss should Nankervis had stayed in the side i think that point has merit but stuff like a massive mistake by recruiting him is just wrong.

I think selection is one of the many reasons we lost it last weekend.
I agree he is a better forward, but playing him in the ruck isn't working. His impact around the ground is not existent and his tap work is poor. Just wish he could play like he did in the 2012 prelim, he just hasn't turned it on like that since. Maybe your right, I'm a bit harsh on the bloke, it's just frustrating to watch him put in some disappointing performances in games where we need him most. I probably overreacted a bit, still hurting from saturday. He is very brave playing with a broken jaw, and a broken hand I think last year, I can't knock his courage. I hope next year he plays closer to goal and rips games apart. If he could lift a few levels, he could be a key to our flag hopes. We have him for quite few years more, I'd love to see him become something great whilst our premiership window is open.

Jesus Christ, talk about overreaction.
Yeah, you're probably right mate. I got a bit too fired up. Just disappointed with saturday and his performances in big games. I think his form needs to improve a bit, but I went a bit over board there. Hopefully he can win us a few games next year and get some damaging form up. I'm also a bit confused with the coaches decisions in 2013-14. Did they always intend to make him a ruckman, or did they want he and Mumford to work together maybe??

Just check the stats breakdown that scaryness posted on the previous page. His second half of 2015 was fantastic and his first half of 2016 was even better and they were both when he was playing the ruck/forward role. He was being talked up as All Australian potential and when he went down with a serious injury, most (including Swans fans) wrote off the rest of our season. In the same time period, Mumford has had his fair share or injuries and indifferent form, so I think the trade has been a win.

I posted this on the main board.

Thought I'd show you this article from a few years ago.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/afl-clears-buddys-10m-move/story-fnca0u4y-1226735072406

See half way down where it says

"Franklin's contract is heavily loaded in years four, five and six when Sydney will be relieved of its high-payment obligations to Kurt Tippett".

So Tippett has now completed those original 4 years. So the clause in his contract that was triggered & added a few more years was not for the 800k.
It is forr significantly less. So Tippett is not the burden you guys think he is.He could very well be on 400 to 450K. The reason his original contract was so high was to ward off other clubs.
That article says that Buddy's salary would be 1.8M in these years but a later updated article tells us that in years 2016, 2017, & 2018 Buddy is on 1.2M.for each year.
Now considering in his last year at Hawthorn in 2013, Buddy was on 900K, the first two years at 700k & next 3 years at 1.2M make the 5 year average at $1M per year. All this time, the cap rising 150k per year at the very least, not including the new player payments.

Just leave the Swans list management to the Swans. They are second to none & know exactly what they are doing..

Oh! We will land a big fish in 2018 & piss everyone off yet again!
Stay tuned!

Thanks a lot for bringing this to my attention, I had no idea the finer details. Good move my Sydney's list management

Kurt is really baffling. When he first came to the Swans, I thought he was a really exciting player. In that first year for us, he looked such a good mark and I also remember thinking how well he played in the wet for such a big man. Then last year he seemed to lose his marking ability. Couldn't seem to hold one. Was being ragdolled off the ball constantly by smaller players. Outmuscled. Even when no one was near him, he seemed to drop them. This was pre-injuries. It was really strange. Suddenly he couldn't mark anymore. Then he was reincarnated as a ruck/forward and looked great for months on end. Still wasn't the same mark of the ball as he was, but a great ruckman and also was firing off amazing handballs for a bloke his size. Then, the injuries. Then the Granny.

I just find him really perplexing. Too injury prone. Something psychological going on aside from that, too. Too many barriers going on for him to be consistent.

He is not a bettwr ff , has no idea in leading patterns etc

Look at his start to the year

Was his best to date a number 1 ruck
Sadly it's taken 4 years to work out where best to play him.

I think the Swans fell for his 2012 prelim performance against the Hawks. Hawks backline pre Lake was smaller and so Tippett could monster them that day.

Sadly it's taken 4 years to work out where best to play him.

I think the Swans fell for his 2012 prelim performance against the Hawks. Hawks backline pre Lake was smaller and so Tippett could monster them that day.
My Old man still thinks the same

Thst 1 game that bumped up his money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was clunking everything in the back end of last year and (along with Kennedy) was one of the players trying to carry us home in the finals. The overreaction about him is a bit over the top, the pea-heart calls are silly. His pre-injury form helped set up our season, never got going again when in came back, in hindsight probably should've have played not fully fit or should've spent a week or 2 at NEAFL level to get a run in the legs/dominate and get some touch back. Is a bit overpaid mainly because of injury problems but let's face it he's not the only one who we won't get a complete return in value in terms $$ vs performance from, hardly a complete bust though.

Don't know what's going on with Tippetts marking though, definitely dropped away this year, even when he was playing well he wasn't taking contested marks. With his drop off, now all our Forward/Ruck talls have a bit of trouble taking marks (besides Reid who's soft tissue injuries we need to get on-top of), all need to work on this area big-time over the summer.

Tippett did get one great contested mark in the middle of a pack (and then missed the kick at goal). Who was in the ruck when Boyd started dominating the game and clunked some big contested marks? I remember one photo seeing Naismith on the ground a few metres away from the contest, but don't know whether it was always him. Either way, Boyd is like the anti-Tippett - does absolutely nothing throughout the year, barely seen in the first two finals, then had a solid Prelim and was arguably robbed of the Norm Smith in the GF. He could be dropped by round 1 next year and he'd still be a hero to Dogs fans for life regardless!

There was an adelaide fan who replied to this one on the main board which is very much my views on tippett - quoting it...

Trust me I'm not a fan of Kurt but he was up against it in the GF.

He might actually be close to the best goal
Kicking ruck man in the Comp. when he is up and going.

That's the problem .... He is a master at getting at least two significant injuries each season.

He reminds me of Melbourne cup horse.
He takes about 4 or 5 runs to hit peak form .... When hits it he usually holds it and is elite ... Then cue major injury.
Rinse repeat

His lead in was 10 week injury 2 games bye
Cracked jaw 1 week off then
Prelim. GF.
Was always going to struggle to be a
Factor.

He is now late 20s, injury prone , playing
in a brutal position .....
He's the one I'd shop swans to try and get some outside speed into the team

Word on SEN today was that Fremantle are interested in trading for Tippett provided they only pay two thirds of his current contract. I would be extremely happy if that were to happen.
Would free up at least $500K in the salary cap which would mean we keep Mitchell. Nankervis becomes our 2nd ruckman alongside Naismith which means we can then concentrate on a traditional forward line structure.
as to what Freo offer for Tippett? I'm not sure I really care. They are not going to give up pick 3 and they have to find something for McCarthy. In addition to this, they don't have a second round pick as this was given to GCS last year as part of the Bennell trade.

Tippett did get one great contested mark in the middle of a pack (and then missed the kick at goal). Who was in the ruck when Boyd started dominating the game and clunked some big contested marks? I remember one photo seeing Naismith on the ground a few metres away from the contest, but don't know whether it was always him. Either way, Boyd is like the anti-Tippett - does absolutely nothing throughout the year, barely seen in the first two finals, then had a solid Prelim and was arguably robbed of the Norm Smith in the GF. He could be dropped by round 1 next year and he'd still be a hero to Dogs fans for life regardless!

Boyd played an excellent game against West Coast. Probably his best game ever in the AFL. Then he played BOG in the grannie.

Word on SEN today was that Fremantle are interested in trading for Tippett provided they only pay two thirds of his current contract. I would be extremely happy if that were to happen.
Would free up at least $500K in the salary cap which would mean we keep Mitchell. Nankervis becomes our 2nd ruckman alongside Naismith which means we can then concentrate on a traditional forward line structure.
as to what Freo offer for Tippett? I'm not sure I really care. They are not going to give up pick 3 and they have to find something for McCarthy. In addition to this, they don't have a second round pick as this was given to GCS last year as part of the Bennell trade.
Could be smoke and mirrors to assist Freo in landing McCarthy by spooking GWS. Or it could be a legitimate plan B if the McCarthy trade is not a goer. Interesting goings on.

Could be smoke and mirrors to assist Freo in landing McCarthy by spooking GWS. Or it could be a legitimate plan B if the McCarthy trade is not a goer. Interesting goings on.
McCarthy is more of a lead up forward compared to Tippett. Freo are also into Kersten from the Cats who is similar to McCarthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back