Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that all makes sense but to be a forward now he's gotta gain quite a bit of agility back. If that's as simple as dropping 5kgs all well and good, but the days of having a 200cm, 105 kgs forward sitting in the goal square appear to be done (for now, at least). Seems you've gotta have Bud/Daniher agility to be that tall and a permanent forward now. Too much of a defensive liability otherwise.

I don't know the state of his ankles, but I would think ruckman makes the most sense for him if he wants to prolong his career.
he could easily be a lead up forward like kennedy, he just cant stay on park

I think that all makes sense but to be a forward now he's gotta gain quite a bit of agility back. If that's as simple as dropping 5kgs all well and good, but the days of having a 200cm, 105 kgs forward sitting in the goal square appear to be done (for now, at least). Seems you've gotta have Bud/Daniher agility to be that tall and a permanent forward now. Too much of a defensive liability otherwise.

I don't know the state of his ankles, but I would think ruckman makes the most sense for him if he wants to prolong his career.
Still a place for big units, they just aren't as valuable or flexible as Buddy and Cameron types. Hawkins and Patton are a similar size (without actually looking at the stats) and can still add value.

I like to judge a player's out put on how is is when fit.
Tippo hasn't been fit since round 13 last year. He probably shouldn't have even returned but the hamstring surgery gave him a chance.
Then he had his jaw broken in the first final. Short memories from opposition supporters is one thing but from our own supporters nothing ceases to surprise me any more.
Don't judge Tippo by his pay packet. An injury is an injury whether a player is on 200K per season or $1M per season. It's brainless putting more heat on Tippo because of his pay packet. That's the club's fault not his.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...ight-weeks-after-surgery-20160617-gplpfk.html

Still a place for big units, they just aren't as valuable or flexible as Buddy and Cameron types. Hawkins and Patton are a similar size (without actually looking at the stats) and can still add value.

They're more mobile though. I remember seeing a stat a few weeks ago that Hawkins was in the top handful for tackles inside 50 this year, which stunned me considering it's a stat dominated by smalls normally. And Patton at least anecdotally appears far quicker and more nimble than Tippett.

I don't think he's a spent force yet but I do think moving to another club in need of a first ruck or which would be willing to stick him in the goal square might be beneficial for him. I feel like for the last 12 months his role has changed numerous times which wouldn't help.

I like to judge a player's out put on how is is when fit.
Tippo hasn't been fit since round 13 last year. He probably shouldn't have even returned but the hamstring surgery gave him a chance.
Then he had his jaw broken in the first final. Short memories from opposition supporters is one thing but from our own supporters nothing ceases to surprise me any more.
Don't judge Tippo by his pay packet. An injury is an injury whether a player is on 200K per season or $1M per season. It's brainless putting more heat on Tippo because of his pay packet. That's the club's fault not his.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...ight-weeks-after-surgery-20160617-gplpfk.html

Agree with a lot of that

But to say don't judge a player based on the wage is odd, it is the clubs fault too of course but he has not delivered to the salary

He deserves to be judged for the cost compared to someone on 200k

People don't have short memories some just look at facts and output , what's best for the club not the individual player

W
Agree with a lot of that

But to say don't judge a player based on the wage is odd, it is the clubs fault too of course but he has not delivered to the salary

People don't have short memories some just look at facts and output , what's best for the club not the individual player
Which is why it's better to judge him when fit.
Pretty much as we did with Kizza. Now that he is fitter, he seems back to his normal self. We write players off without giving them.
Whether he has earned his money or not, perhaps you are a better judge than me on this. Towers was given a hard time on here but he is on a fraction of what Tippett has been on so you are contradicting yourself with the money argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with a lot of that

I think someone like Travis Cloke who put off contracts all year and then demanded a large contract deserves s**t for poor performance before people like Tippett who just say yes to huge deals that are presented.

Can criticise the contract all you like but I don't believe you can say he is a worse player than he otherwise would be because he is payed a lot more than others.

Looking very likely that Reid won’t play against the Saints and whether they take a punt this week and play Tippett, it is obvious that they are keen to have him back in the squad soon.

If he plays NEAFL and gets through unscathed I can see him coming back in against Hawthorn, which would be ironic as it is felt that’s the last match where they decided his output wasn’t strong enough to get a game.

Massive test for Tippett coming up, to first be trusted to get through a game and to respond immediately and have an impact. His season and career may be in focus based on his return. Massive individual pressure whilst being played to contribute for the team.

Good luck to him if they go that way.

Great, guys like dawson are languishing in the magoos despite red hot form, and this bloke comes waltzing back in despite being "injured" last week

hes not back in the team yet, calm down. BTW you still want Horse sacked? Been much quieter these past couple months

hes not back in the team yet, calm down. BTW you still want Horse sacked? Been much quieter these past couple months
hes earnt a reprieve by making tough calls. Dropping tippett was a massive step in the right direction.my main criticism of horse was that he would pick the same players week in week out regardless.in past years, tippo's form would have been tolerated..it hasnt this year

hes earnt a reprieve by making tough calls. Dropping tippett was a massive step in the right direction.my main criticism of horse was that he would pick the same players week in week out regardless.in past years, tippo's form would have been tolerated..it hasnt this year

Terrific, ill let him know his jobs safe until Kurt comes back.

You could argue that his form this year has been markedly down on previous years, so hasn't deserved to be dropped. Not sure if looking at it that way would make you like Horse more or less though ...

We've blooded more players than just about any team in the league in the past 2 seasons and you're still complaining about Horse picking the same players every week?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back