Kyabram DFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And lets please forget Robbie Walters during the '80s !!!
In his prime when when he was given a stint in the prison So was always going to have an impact when let loose in the Kdl strong lovely hands magnificent kick what a player!! Walters and Gavin Exell two best Kdl forwards I’ve seen

Incorrect. The program was started as a brain child of a Merrigum person working in a welfare role at the Prison. With the aim to help low risk classification prisoners to reintegrate into society. It was started through showing initiative.
I’m fairly certain all clubs can apply if they wish. The onus is on the clubs to have volunteers trained and registered to look after them and transport them to and from games.

I could be wrong here also, but I think the prison program spans back a long way as Murchison had players and helpers before my time at the club, i think in the late 90's or early 2000's! However the program stopped!

There is a fair few hoops to jump through to be eligible for the program but there is plenty of upside for any club that decided to give it a go!

I should also say, some people saying the prisoners should go to bottom sides etc! Well that is up to said club and their initiative on the matter! Murch didn't field a thirds side a few years ago, and have struggled with numbers through the reserves like any club in previous years leading up to the decision of re entering the program! It is called being pro active! We will not wait until we are plummeting to position of the likes of the struggling clubs in the league, and will instead look to take on any new ideas and initiatives we can, hence entering the program and hence our recent name change!

Just trying to keep our club alive for the next generation! Same as any club out there!

Some clubs are near big towns, some are not. Some have heaps of kids living nearby and some don’t.

We just happen to have a Prison 11km from our ground and see this opportunity as a chance to reintegrate some people into society, build a level of trust between the prison system and the local community, all while giving three men a chance to play football for our club.

We all know stories of young blokes who gain a bit of focus when committing to playing sport. This program is not about winning matches of football. It is far bigger than that.

I put it in the same realms of clubs wearing pink socks, Zaidee’s laces and the No Violence Round. We are important parts of our community and if a few clubs wish to champion a program such as this they should be given the full support of the league and their competing teams.

As a club official and a volunteer who transports the guys, it takes a huge investment of time to be involved and there are many hoops to jump through.

Thanks to all those who support Merrigum, Rushworth and Murch-Toolamba to run this valuable initiative.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some clubs are near big towns, some are not. Some have heaps of kids living nearby and some don’t.

We just happen to have a Prison 11km from our ground and see this opportunity as a chance to reintegrate some people into society, build a level of trust between the prison system and the local community, all while giving three men a chance to play football for our club.

We all know stories of young blokes who gain a bit of focus when committing to playing sport. This program is not about winning matches of football. It is far bigger than that.

I put the program in the same realm as clubs wearing pink socks, Zaidee’s laces and the No Violence Round. We are important parts of our community and if a few clubs wish to champion a program such as this they should be given the full support of the league and their competing teams.

As a club official and a volunteer who transports the guys, it takes a huge investment of time to be involved and there are many hoops to jump through.

Thanks to all those who support Merrigum, Rushworth and Murch-Toolamba to run this initiative.

In his prime when when he was given a stint in the prison So was always going to have an impact when let loose in the Kdl strong lovely hands magnificent kick what a player!! Walters and Gavin Exell two best Kdl forwards I’ve seen
Sorry, i did mean to say lets "not" forget Robbie !!. Spot on swoop !!, 2 of the very best there and i was privileged to watch them both ply their trade. Honorable mention to the big man Billy "whompa" Hannam !!.

Swoop or anyone jump in here but if my memory hasn't completely left me didn't Robbie Walters do some substantial damage in the Bulldogs back to back in 86 and 87 ??

I put the program in the same realm as clubs wearing pink socks, Zaidee’s laces and the No Violence Round. We are important parts of our community and if a few clubs wish to champion a program such as this they should be given the full support of the league and their competing teams.

Thanks to all those who support Merrigum, Rushworth and Murch-Toolamba to run this initiative.

How many of these prisoners of late have stuck around at the club after they Have done the time at prison?

I'm all for giving people a second chance GK and l understand what point your trying to get across but comparing it to the breast cancer fight , children's cancer and violence is a stretch

Is there currently a limit on how many prisoners can play at a Club?

Swoop or anyone jump in here but if my memory hasn't completely left me didn't Robbie Walters do some substantial damage in the Bulldogs back to back in 86 and 87 ??
I could be wrong lion but sure Robbie only 1 year at the gum in which he coached to the 1990 flag Chopper coached back to back in the 80s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could be wrong lion but sure Robbie only 1 year at the gum in which he coached to the 1990 flag Chopper coached back to back in the 80s
Ah yep, coming back to me now. 1990 !!!....Avenel nightmare !! . Couple of big hangers in that game, Tiger Willox and the Merrigum fella might have been Gashy. Billy Hannam clobered a bloke and got 6 weeks i think. Tige got one in too on the Riverside wing.....was a tough contest but the bullies just too good !!. Stormy Tempest knocked out early never to return. ...was quoted as stating in the rooms at halftime that we would get them back next week !!.....ah Stormy, it's the granny mate, no next week. ...was clearly not firing on all cylinders !!!

yeah big billy hannam was a star for avenal great player. whats everyones opinion on big shane loveless ?
Loveless was phenomenal !!!....as i posted in an earlier conversation i had the pleasure of playingon him in his early days at Ardy....was an experience i can tell ya !!!

Both with many acts of on field behaviour that soured their reputations as players.
True roota, but Shane seemed like a genuinely good bloke, made sure he shook ur hand at the start and the end, made a point of sounding u out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back