Kyabram DFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Broadford , Yea , Alexandra , Bonnie Doon and Thornton Eildon came into the Kdfnl over time as Broadford are struggling in the Rdfl and the Yvmdfl is joining with the Southern league which will mean a few long trips for the likes of Yea ,Alex etc and Bonnie Doon are in that general area and may be less travel for them to play neighboring clubs , this also depends on the Kdfnl having two divisions Southern and Northern.
It’s all a bit up in the air with the Kdfl , sides having meetings with other leagues which has actually been happening over the last few years , some clubs wanting to go because they are financially stable and can afford to spend more money in leagues with a higher salary cap .
The junior football situation is a shambles , nothing seems clear and l hope who ever takes over Gleeson’s job can make a decision and say “this is it , this is happening, do it or go” but l guess we will see.

This is the KD proposal, they are hoping to get a few other clubs from neighboring leagues also.
Note the name of divisions means nothing. View attachment 535415

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many clubs will be able to fill a under 14s football team? Clubs can’t even fill a thirds side, and the ones that do are just scrapping a side together each week. And I gathered it’ll be the same with the netball side of things. How are clubs meant to filled another 3 netball teams?

I know people at Broadford FNC including people on the club committee who are telling me they’re in the KDFL next year. Do we know if this is true? Thoughts on this? Surely travel from places like Dookie, lancy and Tally to broadford has to be a abit of a problem here.

Hope it aint the same people who were saying they thought the Northern FL was the go.
I'm sure there are excutive members of KDFL clubs on here who'd know if there has been any official approach, not forgetting a failed attempt to join not that long ago - but yeh if there is a chance to join a new or re-formed comp I reckon it would be exciting for any club to be part of.
I'm very much aligned with Jobby's thoughts and I guess it comes down to what AFL Vic proposes for the region, and how the envisage it playing out .... juniors included.

Last edited:

How many clubs will be able to fill a under 14s football team? Clubs can’t even fill a thirds side, and the ones that do are just scrapping a side together each week. And I gathered it’ll be the same with the netball side of things. How are clubs meant to filled another 3 netball teams?

14s into 17's into Reserves can work, and has in other parts of country Victoria. Many a young man has finished under age footy at 16/17 before graduating to playing against men.
Given the amounts of Two's sides battling, this may allow a group of 17 turning 18yo's to become available for open age footy ... and in the event of numbers being short, leagues can have by-laws to suggest 16 a side on the park etc to ensure everyone still gets the opportunity to participate in footy at a grassroots level.

14s into 17's into Reserves can work, and has in other parts of country Victoria. Many a young man has finished under age footy at 16/17 before graduating to playing against men.
Given the amounts of Two's sides battling, this may allow a group of 17 turning 18yo's to become available for open age footy ... and in the event of numbers being short, leagues can have by-laws to suggest 16 a side on the park etc to ensure everyone still gets the opportunity to participate in footy at a grassroots level.

Didn’t really answer my question, I asked how many teams would be able to fill a under 14s as well as a thirds team. And then on top 3 extra netball grades.

And don’t worry about the 2s numbers we need to worry about the juniors. VT & Ardy are the only 2 clubs that struggle in the 2s, most other clubs have more then enough

Nagambie - haven’t filled a thirds team for a while now. And I couldn’t imagine them filling a under 14s team. So going by there proposal nagambie will have to stay in the same structure, which will mean they’ll be in the same division as Ardmona, Undera, Longwood, Girgaree, Rushworth etc......

For Instance - Stanhope, Girgaree and Rushworth merge to combine a U/14s side. So I’m not sure how the Leauge thinks this is a good idea to do this change.

Dookie, Nagambie, Longwood can’t fill a thirds. And your theory about having a by-laws and playing 16 a side well we already have that. And it’s been cut back to 12 because lack of numbers. I doubt there would be 1 game of thirds played this year when both sides had 22 players.

Happy to be proven wrong, and if it does change I hope i am wrong. Because it’s sad the way the junior football is going

The more possible Clubs that get mentioned I actually think the KDFL should stay put with one league. If a couple of Club's drop off then they've still got more than enough. Don't see what Broadford, Thornton Eildon etc bring to the table.

Did anyone see the Tally vs Stanhope game and can give us a run down on who played well and who will win next time they play? Unfortunately I couldn't get there

The more possible Clubs that get mentioned I actually think the KDFL should stay put with one league. If a couple of Club's drop off then they've still got more than enough. Don't see what Broadford, Thornton Eildon etc bring to the table.

Couldn’t agree more.

Dosent matter one bit what we want or if we keep it as 1 division or 2 , if clubs move out of the KD league or drop off and those YVMDFL clubs aren’t happy AFLVIC will gladly put them in the KD and no one will get a say.
Change is upon us we need to adapt l guess

Didn’t really answer my question, I asked how many teams would be able to fill a under 14s as well as a thirds team. And then on top 3 extra netball grades.

And don’t worry about the 2s numbers we need to worry about the juniors. VT & Ardy are the only 2 clubs that struggle in the 2s, most other clubs have more then enough

Nagambie - haven’t filled a thirds team for a while now. And I couldn’t imagine them filling a under 14s team. So going by there proposal nagambie will have to stay in the same structure, which will mean they’ll be in the same division as Ardmona, Undera, Longwood, Girgaree, Rushworth etc......

For Instance - Stanhope, Girgaree and Rushworth merge to combine a U/14s side. So I’m not sure how the Leauge thinks this is a good idea to do this change.

Dookie, Nagambie, Longwood can’t fill a thirds. And your theory about having a by-laws and playing 16 a side well we already have that. And it’s been cut back to 12 because lack of numbers. I doubt there would be 1 game of thirds played this year when both sides had 22 players.

Happy to be proven wrong, and if it does change I hope i am wrong. Because it’s sad the way the junior football is going

If all the current U14 players in the Goulburn Murray region were to stick with footy the current U18 sides would have 60 players each!! Hence the drop off needs to be addressed. getting them into senior club environment early, all the family together on the same day etc. are a few ideas that may solve the problem. As it is now with no junior players coming thru clubs have a use by date so we've got to try something.. I'm far from in the know but going by what I hear and have seen with the GV I think the Murray League is currently healthier then the GV!!

Nagambie and Avenel have a combined junior club Tabilk there is no reason they couldn't play the U14s on a Saturday and structure it between them similar to the Ovens & King who have 6? combined thirds sides.

If all the current U14 players in the Goulburn Murray region were to stick with footy the current U18 sides would have 60 players each!! Hence the drop off needs to be addressed. getting them into senior club environment early, all the family together on the same day etc. are a few ideas that may solve the problem. As it is now with no junior players coming thru clubs have a use by date so we've got to try something.. I'm far from in the know but going by what I hear and have seen with the GV I think the Murray League is currently healthier then the GV!!

Yeah but the reason the Murray league is so heathy is because there’s no neighboring towns. But with the KDFL there’s bloody Lancaster, Merrigum, Girgaree, Stanhope, Undera, Rushworth all close to each other. And then on top of that you got Kyabram & Tongala with populations of a couple hundreds people.

Tongala would be the smallest town in the Murray leauge with 1500 or so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And by all means I like the set up with the 4ths playing then followed by the thirds and so on. Great family atmosphere for sure. I just can’t see clubs been able to fill and extra football team & 3 netball teams with the struggle to feild sides as it is.

I hope that I’m wrong and it works but just can’t see how

What do broadford and Thornton elidon bring to the comp? 2 jumper clashes with gigarre

Seriously though, talk of a divisional structure to me suggests perhaps some of the old pdfl sides in Murray league coming over, plus the ‘weir’ clubs in yea Alex Doon etc.

Should make for a better comp overall imho

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah but the reason the Murray league is so heathy is because there’s no neighboring towns. But with the KDFL there’s bloody Lancaster, Merrigum, Girgaree, Stanhope, Undera, Rushworth all close to each other. And then on top of that you got Kyabram & Tongala with populations of a couple hundreds people.

Tongala would be the smallest town in the Murray leauge with 1500 or so

This is not the case at all sorry - within say roughly under a 1/2 hr radius there are 4 very successful MFL clubs and 7 PDFL clubs all 'in the market' for the same kids and players, basically you only have to drive 10-15 minutes and you are at another club, with the juniors at these clubs mostly coming from the same high schools (think you could find one high school would have kids at all these clubs) and then you have the town of Deni with supports BOTH a MFL and PDFL team.

What makes these clubs successful is their culture and the strong family and community ties and environment/local support they provide, not an absence of neighbouring towns.

As mentioned the convenience and atmosphere created by having the whole family all playing in one place on one day is a huge contributor to this as well. Having had friends whose kids played SDJFL previously going two ways on Saturday for netball and under 18s then two seperate ways Sunday for U16 and U14 the short drive 'out of town' for trainings to a near by country club has proved a much better option for them.

You can't expect to have extra players if you don't provide teams for them to play in - chicken and the egg senario.

This is not the case at all sorry - within say roughly under a 1/2 hr radius there are 4 very successful MFL clubs and 7 PDFL clubs all 'in the market' for the same kids and players, basically you only have to drive 10-15 minutes and you are at another club, with the juniors at these clubs mostly coming from the same high schools (think you could find one high school would have kids at all these clubs) and then you have the town of Deni with supports BOTH a MFL and PDFL team.

What makes these clubs successful is their culture and the strong family and community ties and environment/local support they provide, not an absence of neighbouring towns.

As mentioned the convenience and atmosphere created by having the whole family all playing in one place on one day is a huge contributor to this as well. Having had friends whose kids played SDJFL previously going two ways on Saturday for netball and under 18s then two seperate ways Sunday for U16 and U14 the short drive 'out of town' for trainings to a near by country club has proved a much better option for them.

You can't expect to have extra players if you don't provide teams for them to play in - chicken and the egg senario.

Like I mentioned, I like the set up with 4ths, thirds, seconds etc. but I’m still not convinced that clubs will be able to fill a extra football team and 3 netball teams. I hope I’m wrong, I really do! Because it does create that family vibe.

Do you have any stats on player number fluctuation at U14 to U17 level, within 1/2hr of Shepparton ?
IIRC there are less SDJFL u16 sides this year due to a shortage of player numbers and it has been announced that the GVFL are introducing U16's (another 3 sides) and KDFL going from u18 to U17's , requiring more players from that 14-17 age group.

However the PDFL situation was reconciled I applaud all involved. I still love the fact bush folk are passionate enough for what they believe in, but the entire AFL juggernaut is far too powerful or resourceful to not get their preferred outcomes every time.

What that means for football in the Goulburn Murray as a whole I got no idea, but fingers crossed a deep breath some genuinely considered thoughts on the entire landscape are made so that all your footy/netball clubs can look to 2019 (and beyond) with clarity and understanding about the “long game” of footy in one of this states great grassroots environments.

Sadly it appears the dream of something along the lines of our local cricket/junior footy boundary down here making for a competitive little senior footy/netball comp may be shot :'(:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back