Kyabram DFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling we will see a number of leagues ditch reserves footy if we get back, whether it be in 2020 or 2021. Some may bring them back over time but some of the country leagues in the future (especially the lesser populated regions) may just have seniors once players transition out of junior football.

You never know, in some areas of the state there might even be de-mergers at senior level if there are enough adults in an area without the burden (for lack of a better word) of fielding a reserves side.

I get the feeling we will see a number of leagues ditch reserves footy if we get back, whether it be in 2020 or 2021. Some may bring them back over time but some of the country leagues in the future (especially the lesser populated regions) may just have seniors once players transition out of junior football.

You never know, in some areas of the state there might even be de-mergers at senior level if there are enough adults in an area without the burden (for lack of a better word) of fielding a reserves side.

I am doubtful that this will happen in the next 5-10 years.

Reserves will disappear at major league level before minor league level. With some sort of alignment for depth players to develop in the minor leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apparently this is being discussed in the north-east with the Ovens and Murray league, with no ressies at that level and players using Ovens & King or Tallangatta clubs as host clubs.

The issue to resolve before that happens is players being called up to play O&M in July and August just when the player's 'lower tier' clubs is preparing for a finals campaign or staking a claim to a finals berth.

Such a shame he wrecked his ankle last year or could have 3-4 B&F's in a row. Some record! A very popular figure at Rochester Ultra, can assure you of that.
Such a shame he wrecked his ankle last year or could have 3-4 B&F's in a row. Some record! A very popular figure at Rochester Ultra, can assure you of that.
Deserves to be given the wraps he gets, I recall tongue when you asked me about his chances at Gv level and he certainly hasn’t let me down terrific player

In the KDL, we can fit in a 15 round season starting at the 6th of June and finishing on the 12th of September, therefore everyone plays each other once.

And instead of a finals series (which would be a sad thing to lose), we simply have a grand final with 1st playing 2nd on the 19th of September.

Although this won't be a perfect solution (what is nowadays?), at least this will give us a semblance of a season, although I would hope that cricket delays their season until the last weekend of October, because the Beer Bug has barely affected cricket, and starting the season a few weeks later. won't casue much damage.

Legally, the summer sports take over the recreation reserves on October 1st, I hope that considering the unique circumstances here, that this can be on October the 31st instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the KDL, we can fit in a 15 round season starting at the 6th of June and finishing on the 12th of September, therefore everyone plays each other once.

And instead of a finals series (which would be a sad thing to lose), we simply have a grand final with 1st playing 2nd on the 19th of September.

Although this won't be a perfect solution (what is nowadays?), at least this will give us a semblance of a season, although I would hope that cricket delays their season until the last weekend of October, because the Beer Bug has barely affected cricket, and starting the season a few weeks later. won't casue much damage.

Legally, the summer sports take over the recreation reserves on October 1st, I hope that considering the unique circumstances here, that this can be on October the 31st instead
I couldn't see why you wouldn't play the whole finals series. Their are grounds such as Ardmona and Lancaster that aren't connected to Cricket possibly Merrigum & Longwood too so you would just use those Ovals to get the job done. Cricket Competitions may start a month later but if they aren't willing then play at non cricket ovals and guys can choose which sport they would like to play. Not near as many guys playing both Sports these days anyway.

I couldn't see why you wouldn't play the whole finals series. Their are grounds such as Ardmona and Lancaster that aren't connected to Cricket possibly Merrigum & Longwood too so you would just use those Ovals to get the job done. Cricket Competitions may start a month later but if they aren't willing then play at non cricket ovals and guys can choose which sport they would like to play. Not near as many guys playing both Sports these days anyway.
I feel a two week finals series with 1v4 and 2v3 to play off for a spot in the Grand Final is reasonable with everyone playing each other once. Grand final venue is another one as well.

Got enough negativity going on in the world mate, positive posts are better appreciated. As an optimist hope of a season is all we have right now. Cheers.
Well said kase. Gee I hope you’re right mate a 14 round plus 3 finals Season is better than none at all. I just want to see the results of some great recruiting by most clubs your club includied The Kdl and picola League have both gone ahead in leaps and bounds and looking very strong, let’s really hope we can get to see some footy this year

Last edited:
Lancaster has hosted Grand Finals in the past, there's no reason why they couldn't be a host for the KDFL in an October Grand Final provided that we have a full length finals series (6), but as long as we get a season where all sides play each other once, that'll do nicely.

Ardmona, Dookie, Lancaster, Longwood, Merrigum & Violet Town (Euroa only play cricket there occasionally) don't host cricket so we could easily put in a normal Final 6, using those grounds.

I hope that cricket delays their seasons until October 31st (they'll only miss 3 weekends tops), because Corona Chan hasn't hurt them as much & what's 3 weeks, compared to 2 months?

Lancaster has hosted Grand Finals in the past, there's no reason why they couldn't be a host for the KDFL in an October Grand Final provided that we have a full length finals series (6), but as long as we get a season where all sides play each other once, that'll do nicely.

Ardmona, Dookie, Lancaster, Longwood, Merrigum & Violet Town (Euroa only play cricket there occasionally) don't host cricket so we could easily put in a normal Final 6, using those grounds.

I hope that cricket delays their seasons until October 31st (they'll only miss 3 weekends tops), because Corona Chan hasn't hurt them as much & what's 3 weeks, compared to 2 months?
With that many grounds available you could run into November if needed. Issue I can see is depending on who you listen to in the Media they are talking a late June to late July with no crowds. for the AFL.Country Footy would be very unlikely to start before the AFL plus then still need to be allowed too have Crowds.

Just heard a rumour that some of us local footy lovers may appreciate, others may not... on Sunday The Curtain Raisers will be back. Dropping a recorded session on Facebook Sunday. May have another different thing to listen to apart from Covid19.

Just heard a rumour that some of us local footy lovers may appreciate, others may not... on Sunday The Curtain Raisers will be back. Dropping a recorded session on Facebook Sunday. May have another different thing to listen to apart from Covid19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back