Welcome Kyle Hartigan joins the Hawks in a trade from the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

This signing indicates to me that the club has no idea which KPD they want to put their faith in, is it Kossie?, is it Hartley?, is it Hartigan?
Really?

We lost one. We grabbed one.

I'm not sure you are doing this right.
  1. McEvoy - SPUD
  2. Gunston - SPUD
  3. Bruest - SPUD & Wingard - SPUD
  4. Day - SPUD
We need to improve all the areas because we only have spuds! And we only recruit spuds! All the other clubs have SUPERSTARS!!!!

And I forgot, Graham Wright - SPUD, and any coach that served under Clarko is a SUPERSTAR!!!! But Clarko is a SPUD.....
I love this melt, cheers you made me laugh

This signing indicates to me that the club has no idea which KPD they want to put their faith in, is it Kossie?, is it Hartley?, is it Hartigan?
For me it shows that Hartley is considered a backup, and Kosi isn’t ready. If we thought they were locked in.
We chased Corr and then Hartley because we needed that extra Key Defender in the starting team.
Corr could have played in the system, and probably would have given us a lot more positivity out of the backline, at the expense of playing Frost on the big bodies such as Hawkins, Dixon and Lynch, where I don’t think he’s as suited.
Hartigan will play that key lockdown role, releasing frost to the second tall, or possibly third tall/small if we play McEvoy or Hartley back. This will help us defensively (over Corr), but won’t help our transition.

Pretty sure the match committee see Hartley as back up only and that was quite apparent late last year. Hartigan is definitely a direct replacement for Chip on the cheap. No way can Kosi play on the big gorilla key forwards at this stage of his career.

So who is our full back next year? Hartigan i guess? I dont watch many Adelaide games, is he any good?
He’s ok. Will fill the hole left by Chip, and has similar attributes( stopper, not great by foot, but good enough to play a role).

He’s ok. Will fill the hole left by Chip, and has similar attributes( stopper, not great by foot, but good enough to play a role).
And...

He's free!

Seemingly overlooked by everyone coming into this thread to pot him.

Imagine having a big yard that needs mowing and all you have is a manual push mower and scissors. Your neighbour says to you look I got a pretty serviceable mower you can have for nothing. If you don’t want it though I’ll keep it and be happy to have. Every day of the week you taking the mower and using it. The amount of people in here that would say ummm that’s not a ride on why would I take it is actually amazing to me

We have clearly lost our standing as a destination club so I think all the positive posters need to at least acknowledge first that if we could land the likes of Cameron or Lynch that we would be doing that instead of getting 29 year old battlers who are coming over for pension plans. I heard in one of the radio chats Graham Wright say "Well we have the same age profile as Geelong in our list, but the difference is that they are winning"... Clearly He thinks the coaches and the players are underperforming and the list profile is good. This more than anything is a worrying sign that the Club thinks all is right and that this one was an odd year and we will be back competing next year. Hope they are right but the last thing we want is another year in denial pushing our rebuild even further back. Yes we are short on KPD and mature bodies after recent retirements, but surely the hawthorn fans will be more supportive of getting games into young players even if that means we finish bottom 2 for next few years rather than the top up model which might keep us at mediocrity levels for ages. Time goes fast, its already been 5 years since 2015.. Clarko previously said that he knew we were coming to an end but had to give it one more go in 2016.. fair enough... but what has he done to rebuild since then ? Pride and ego getting in the way of Club's progress at this stage.

Last edited:
Imagine having a big yard that needs mowing and all you have is a manual push mower and scissors. Your neighbour says to you look I got a pretty serviceable mower you can have for nothing. If you don’t want it though I’ll keep it and be happy to have. Every day of the week you taking the mower and using it. The amount of people in here that would say ummm that’s not a ride on why would I take it is actually amazing to me

He was being dropped from Adelaide's side, and their fans think he's rubbish.

Though we aren't in a position to say no to a FA like him given we are desperate for KPD players in terms of both depth and quality.

If he can plug a hole and play a role then that's a small win for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was being dropped from Adelaide's side, and their fans think he's rubbish.

Though we aren't in a position to say no to a FA like him given we are desperate for KPD players in terms of both depth and quality.

If he can plug a hole and play a role then that's a small win for us.
Forgive me if I don’t worry when fans don’t rate a guy. Easy game in the stands.

your point in exactly right though, free swing and fills a need.

no issue at all for me on the signing

I read a lot of vitriol directed towards him in their post match threads this year.
Same can be said for Frawley. Most fans blame key defenders even when they’re getting the ball continually pumped into their area with little pressure.

We have clearly lost our standing as a destination club so I think all the positive posters need to at least acknowledge first that if we could land the likes of Cameron or Lynch that we would be doing that instead of getting 29 year old battlers who are coming over for pension plans.
How were things different when we 'were' a destination club?

Sorry, mate, but this 'destination club' stuff is such a pile of horseshit. It might go as far "gee, I wonder what it would be like to play under Clarko" or even "That team might be in flag contention over the next few years", but compared to pure salary and list factors, 'it's utterly negligible.

Even when we'd just won 2 flags, we had to up out offer to Frawley to get him instead of Geelong. Our 'destination club' status, back to back premiers, meant three fifths...

Last edited:
I was quite disappointed when I found out we gave Hartigan 3 years, hopefully it’s not true and it’s only a 2 year deal. He is average but he’ll take the best key fwd and do a solid job, while Kosi develops. Plus we could use some toughness in this side and it seems like he has it. Best of luck to him, seems like a great bloke too.

I was quite disappointed when I found out we gave Hartigan 3 years, hopefully it’s not true and it’s only a 2 year deal. He is average but he’ll take the best key fwd and do a solid job, while Kosi develops. Plus we could use some toughness in this side and it seems like he has it. Best of luck to him, seems like a great bloke too.
If he'll take the best KPF & do a solid job, bring toughness to the side & seems like a great bloke, and he's FREE, then why are you disappointed?

Although Adelaide were/are shite, Hartigan was used - and was actually pretty good for most parts - as the 2nd KPD behind Talia.
When considering how poor Adelaides Midfield was, and it was way worse than ours, he did well to get as much ball as he did. Yes, there were times my Cows mates blew up at him but no-one in that side was given a free pass, maybe McAdam the only one.
It will take some time for him to get used to our team defence structure so there will be teething issues, like all new recruits, but I will put it out there that he'll be better at FB than Chip was for the past 2 or possibly 3 years.
He was suspended for Covid breach at the start of the season and then only missed 1 game (managed) this season after he came into the team.
He's coming across to play FB from R1 next season.

We have clearly lost our standing as a destination club so I think all the positive posters need to at least acknowledge first that if we could land the likes of Cameron or Lynch that we would be doing that instead of getting 29 year old battlers who are coming over for pension plans. I heard in one of the radio chats Graham Wright say "Well we have the same age profile as Geelong in our list, but the difference is that they are winning"... Clearly He thinks the coaches and the players are underperforming and the list profile is good. This more than anything is a worrying sign that the Club thinks all is right and that this one was an odd year and we will be back competing next year. Hope they are right but the last thing we want is another year in denial pushing our rebuild even further back. Yes we are short on KPD and mature bodies after recent retirements, but surely the hawthorn fans will be more supportive of getting games into young players even if that means we finish bottom 2 for next few years rather than the top up model which might keep us at mediocrity levels for ages. Time goes fast, its already been 5 years since 2015.. Clarko previously said that he knew we were coming to an end but had to give it one more go in 2016.. fair enough... but what has he done to rebuild since then ? Pride and ego getting in the way of Club's progress at this stage.

Yeah I find that to be the scary thing, with a list profile we have you'd expect to be finishing top 6.

Yeah I find that to be the scary thing, with a list profile we have you'd expect to be finishing top 6.
Really? I don't see it that way.

Someone posted a graph not sure what thread but it showed out list was split into 3 parts we had a big group of 21/22 year olds than a hole, than a group of 25/26 year olds than another hole. Finally we had third segment of 30+ year olds but that group has shrunk significantly this offseason.

Forecasting forward into next year our most populated segment will be the 18-23 year olds with a gap of 24/25 year olds. then a strong group of 26/27 year Olds. The reminder of the list will be filled out with players 27+.

For me the way the list is shaping it seems to be building around the middle segment who have 6+ years left. Once that middle core starts to approach 30 in 4 years time then I'd expect top 6.

Really? I don't see it that way.

Someone posted a graph not sure what thread but it showed out list was split into 3 parts we had a big group of 21/22 year olds than a hole, than a group of 25/26 year olds than another hole. Finally we had third segment of 30+ year olds but that group has shrunk significantly this offseason.

Forecasting forward into next year our most populated segment will be the 18-23 year olds with a gap of 24/25 year olds. then a strong group of 26/27 year Olds. The reminder of the list will be filled out with players 27+.

For me the way the list is shaping it seems to be building around the middle segment who have 6+ years left. Once that middle core starts to approach 30 in 4 years time then I'd expect top 6.

Yeah that's a decent enough argument I suppose, it shows that our list is a bit of a disjointed mess at the minute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back