Welcome Kyle Hartigan joins the Hawks in a trade from the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's a decent enough argument I suppose, it shows that our list is a bit of a disjointed mess at the minute.
Yep. List is in a strange place after four years of ‘renovation’.

Our only key back under age of 27 is the unproven (And late pick) kosi. And only frost and BB are clear afl standard (and big boy will be gone in 12 months).
In terms of back flankers Day, scrim and Impey are all at the level required but Hardwick was bog average this year and greaves has played what 3 games?

Our tall forward strategy appears to hope that 2 of a guy with 3 ACLs (patton) a pick 70 (Lewis), a rookie pick (Jeka) or a guy who been inconsistent his whole career (TOB) come good. And if take our Gunston and Breust we’d barely score and don’t really have any younger mid or small forwards to get excited about. Wingard has been very inconsistent and is not at level we would have hoped.

Our inside mids all have same issues (slow and poor skills) and if smith goes our wings are Scully and ?.

Lots of work to do. Hartigan is a bandaid - which we are sort of forced to pick up given state of our list.

Our only key back under age of 27 is the unproven (And late pick) kosi. And only frost and BB are clear afl standard (and big boy will be gone in 12 months).
In terms of back flankers Day, scrim and Impey are all at the level required but Hardwick was bog average this year and greaves has played what 3 games?

Our tall forward strategy appears to hope that 2 of a guy with 3 ACLs (patton) a pick 70 (Lewis), a rookie pick (Jeka) or a guy who been inconsistent his whole career (TOB) come good. And if take our Gunston and Breust we’d barely score and don’t really have any younger mid or small forwards to get excited about. Wingard has been very inconsistent and is not at level we would have hoped.

Our inside mids all have same issues (slow and poor skills) and if smith goes our wings are Scully and ?.

Lots of work to do. Hartigan is a bandaid - which we are sort of forced to pick up given state of our list.

Pretty fair assessment.

Yeah that's a decent enough argument I suppose, it shows that our list is a bit of a disjointed mess at the minute.
Firstly, I'm not going to do these numbers with delisting just to show the trend. Based on the 2020 list this was our profile
18-21 20
22-25 6
26-29 14
30+ 7
Noting that there are 8 players aged 21 and 8 players aged 26. If we bring in 4 new kids at 18 with current delisting and retirement then the list profile becomes
18-21 14
22-25 12
26-29 11
30+ 6
So it isn't too bad but does have some missing age groups

edit: I like what burner1 said above about the gaps

Kyle Hartigan is 28 who gives a damn. It's not like we were 4th and got Henderson. We were 15th and crap at best.

Kyle Hartigan is 28 who gives a damn. It's not like we were 4th and got Henderson. We were 15th and crap at best.
I’d argue that at best we beat Brisbane and the eventual premiers in Richmond.

While it's very obvious that we're in desperate need of key backs, I find the three year contract bit particularly worrying. He will be 29 before he plays a game for us, and has never really established himself in Adelaide's line-up, with just one season of 20+ games in his eight year AFL career. Not at all against the decision to bring him in for free, but if the expectation is for him to be our starting full back, I don't believe he's the man short or long term.

This will be an interesting thread to read in 6-12 months time
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I genuinely believe Hartigan and Hartley will complement each other very well in defence next year. You can add Frost to that list as well.

We just want them to shut down the opposition's forwards. That's it. Nothing more, nothing fancy. Let the likes of Scrimmers, Impey, etc be the creative types of the half back. We don't need our big boys to do that. Although Hartley's kicking ability and Frost's run are bonus weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I genuinely believe Hartigan and Hartley will complement each other very well in defence next year. You can add Frost to that list as well.

We just want them to shut down the opposition's forwards. That's it. Nothing more, nothing fancy. Let the likes of Scrimmers, Impey, etc be the creative types of the half back. We don't need our big boys to do that. Although Hartley's kicking ability and Frost's run are bonus weapons.
I'm the same on this one.

With Sicily out, I want Hartley at CHB & Frost as a BP.

FB: Frost.......Hartigan.......Hardwick
HB: Day.........Hartley........Scrimshaw....... (Impey/Smitty)

Everyone there can defend & all but Hartigan & Hartley can rebound by foot, with Hartley approaching Sicily for disposal ability.

Sure, it's not going to sell pre-season memberships, but I reckon it'll be a very fast & dynamic defence & go a long way to fixing our lack of rebound from 2020 (assuming we're allowed to kick to upfield targets, not bomb to pre-defined positions).

While it's very obvious that we're in desperate need of key backs, I find the three year contract bit particularly worrying. He will be 29 before he plays a game for us, and has never really established himself in Adelaide's line-up, with just one season of 20+ games in his eight year AFL career. Not at all against the decision to bring him in for free, but if the expectation is for him to be our starting full back, I don't believe he's the man short or long term.

The 3rd year probably costs $200k.

This will be an interesting thread to read in 6-12 months time
They always are

He's a cheap option to fill a need now that you hope the club thinks Kosi can fill in a year or two/they've got someone lined up as the long term option

List building on here seems to be like the too end of a fantasy draft

They always are

He's a cheap option to fill a need now that you hope the club thinks Kosi can fill in a year or two/they've got someone lined up as the long term option

List building on here seems to be like the too end of a fantasy draft
Agree. Not every trade is going to be "sexy" and sell memberships. This is a smart one.

A decent stock gap for now! Interesting to see if his a back up or plays @ F.B ahead of Hartley.
Could he fill Stratts position and slide in next to Mcevoy,Frost. Pushing W.Day further up the ground at times, i expect Impey,Scrimshaw,Hardwick,Greaves to be the rebounding defenders.
Stop gap... yep for now. But Hartigan is only 28 turning 29. As a full back Lake was at his best in his later years.

Scrimmers is the obvious 3rd up with Sicerly out.
I like Hartley... he is OK in defence and punishing with his kicking.

In terms of the Strats role: give it aspirationally to to Emerson Jeka. He is fast, and if not heavy, is likely agile.

The Hawks will not be winning the flag in 2021 and so, find out what players can be.

Stop gap... yep for now. But Hartigan is only 28 turning 29. As a full back Lake was at his best in his later years.

In terms of the Strats role: give it aspirationally to to Emerson Jeka. He is fast, and if not heavy, is likely agile.

The Hawks will not be winning the flag in 2021 and so, find out what players can be.

I think Jeka is a long way away but I do get your point. We aint gonna challenge seriously for a few years (or more), so why not see what we got quickly? Jeka is a good example. Playing a season will tell us if he is going to live up to the promise or just not make it.

For all the issues you have highlighted our defense wasn't too bad and our forwards, when actually forward, can still score. But until we clean out half the midfield and get some pace and skill in their we will continue to get flogged both ways, because our mids cannot hit the side of a barn going forward or are quick enough to stop the ball going straight back over their heads, putting our defense under constant pressure.

Another problem is that because our defense wasn't that bad, all things considered, they probably think Hartigan is more then a bandaid, while the plodders in midfield remain, indeed we even signed Howe back up, nothing will change.

Trade out 2 of the plodders from midfield now, while shaping the next gen defense, rather then getting in a bandaid.

Of course the game is so s**t, all the way around atm, from how thin the talent is that it is possible to win it with bandaids and role players, after watching how boring that GF was.

We should be trading O'Meara and Sheils, to start with. Then we may get somewhere.

For all the issues you have highlighted our defense wasn't too bad and our forwards, when actually forward, can still score. But until we clean out half the midfield and get some pace and skill in their we will continue to get flogged both ways, because our mids cannot hit the side of a barn going forward or are quick enough to stop the ball going straight back over their heads, putting our defense under constant pressure.

Another problem is that because our defense wasn't that bad, all things considered, they probably think Hartigan is more then a bandaid, while the plodders in midfield remain, indeed we even signed Howe back up, nothing will change.

Trade out 2 of the plodders from midfield now, while shaping the next gen defense, rather then getting in a bandaid.

Of course the game is so sh*t, all the way around atm, from how thin the talent is that it is possible to win it with bandaids and role players, after watching how boring that GF was.

We should be trading O'Meara and Sheils, to start with. Then we may get somewhere.
Pretty harsh but I tend to agree. Not one of our Mids have pace or skill. O'meara, Gee he has been disappointing, but he might still have first round value? Id be trading him or another mid way before a Gunston or Bruest. I would of let Howe go two years ago tbh. Slow in mind and body. Get some damn pace into this team!

I was really excited with Scrimshaw's progress when Sicily was out. Hoping there's a silver lining in his injury that Scrimshaw will be able to take on the role with both hands.

I was really excited with Scrimshaw's progress when Sicily was out. Hoping there's a silver lining in his injury that Scrimshaw will be able to take on the role with both hands.
Agreed. I wish we'd learn from this and throw more kids into the fray, rather then recruiting stopgaps.

You never truly know until you do, and that only happens by taking risks. Hartigan is not a risk on play. Scully is not a risk on play Vs future return. Henderson wasn't a risk on play - we got 1 good year out him and are back to square 1 in that position on our list after 2yrs. That is not improving the list from bottom up! Its cost our top players TIME.

Our coach is to conservative at the selection table to often and then recruits accordingly because he want's safe. This approach needs to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back