Recommitted Kyle Langford [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's a midfielder who's playing over him at the moment? I remember him being played in the forward line last year but didn't set the world on fire, is his lack of ability up forward part of the reason he's not getting a game?
Jackson merrett at the moment
Historically Myers though.
Basically two guys who are known quantities as not up to standard.
Over Langford, who has talent but needs a run of games where he isn't dropped.

Can't believe clubs are offering around the 2nd round mark, we've treated Jackson Merrett better than this kid. We'll probably be delisted at the end of the year so save your chips and pick him up for free.

We could take Brodie instead? Can’t seem to get a game with them & definitely fills a need for us.
No thanks . Brodie on his second year quite normal not to get AFL game but your Kyle already on your list for 2 more years F**king around .

Fair enough. Hopefully he gets a crack soon. I’ve liked the look of him every time I’ve seen him play.
He is doing pretty well in NeAFL and play a bit Forward and scoring goal , in Modern game players especially kids need to be more versatile rather than playing just one position .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one can see the flaws in his games. Having watched him a fair bit in the VFL over the past 18 months or so he simply monsters the average VFL/young/undeveloped midfielders at that level. A body size and shape as big as his should.

As a football club we have always used our guys in positions they will not play in at AFL level. We did the same thing with a guy like Leroy Jetta who we played onball at VFL level then FP at AFL level a classic example. Langford is no different.

He wants to play AFL midfield, does so at VFL level but such is the step up in level he inadvertently goes missing when he is given an opportunity, albeit briefly, at AFL level.

If he could bring some more hunger and tenacity to his game, he could carve out a niche but unfortunately his timid nature has not allowd him to battle it out amongst the best consistently at AFL level. He can be hard as evidenced by nearly a third of his disposals won in that manner but it is not done consistently enough.

As an Essendon fan, it has been so hard to see Dodoro continually pick up flankers and see/hope to turn them into a dominant midfielder when other/better options were available. Langford will go down as just another failure by AD in the early parts of the draft.

I for one can see the flaws in his games. Having watched him a fair bit in the VFL over the past 18 months or so he simply monsters the average VFL/young/undeveloped midfielders at that level. A body size and shape as big as his should.

As a football club we have always used our guys in positions they will not play in at AFL level. We did the same thing with a guy like Leroy Jetta who we played onball at VFL level then FP at AFL level a classic example. Langford is no different.

He wants to play AFL midfield, does so at VFL level but such is the step up in level he inadvertently goes missing when he is given an opportunity, albeit briefly, at AFL level.

If he could bring some more hunger and tenacity to his game, he could carve out a niche but unfortunately his timid nature has not allowd him to battle it out amongst the best consistently at AFL level. He can be hard as evidenced by nearly a third of his disposals won in that manner but it is not done consistently enough.

As an Essendon fan, it has been so hard to see Dodoro continually pick up flankers and see/hope to turn them into a dominant midfielder when other/better options were available. Langford will go down as just another failure by AD in the early parts of the draft.
Who else do you take though?
Not a great draft and Langford would be ideal if we played him consistently.
Whether we play him off a flank as a mid or on a wing or outside the contest.
He's a waste not being played, and is wasted when he's asked to play as an inside mid.

Will be asking for a trade.

Woosha hates him.
Agreed, but the reality is that he just isn't that good. He's fine in the slower, less intense VFL but he struggles in the senior team. Definitely not the elite player Essendon was hoping he'd be.

Agreed, but the reality is that he just isn't that good. He's fine in the slower, less intense VFL but he struggles in the senior team. Definitely not the elite player Essendon was hoping he'd be.
how would we know?

We took what looked like an elite 3rd tall who could rotate through the middle, asked him to spend a year as an inside mid in the VFL to fill a gap we have zero interest in filling via the draft or trade table, then drop him after one AFL game to get touch in a comp he dominates, generally bringing him back once every 5 weeks and drop him again for not finding touch from the get go.

He's more a Pendlebury/Goddard type than a Fyfe/Danger. He won't crash packs open or rip it out like Cripps can, but in space he has great lateral movement and he is superb by foot with the ball.

He and Laverde should be rotating mid/fwd about 50/50 a game.

As for Woosha. He likes guys like Green, who run but don't catch anyone and barely apply scoreboard pressure.
Langford is quicker, would apply more pressure, provide a better marking option (we do like to kick our smalls, so why not play them tall), and as a pure forward would kick more than Green does.
Yet we persist.

Would be a good get for Carlton to play behind Curnow & Casboult.

Big chance this blokes make Essendon look very silly at a new club .

His lack of intensity is overblown. He's laconic and has been stuffed around by selection and change of position so no wonder he second guesses himself a bit at AFL level .

Big chance this blokes make Essendon look very silly at a new club .

His lack of intensity is overblown. He's laconic and has been stuffed around by selection and change of position so no wonder he second guesses himself a bit at AFL level .
In the best again on the weekend. He has to play this week. A game where he can build confidence against the 0-7 Blues.

In the best again on the weekend. He has to play this week. A game where he can build confidence against the 0-7 Blues.
He'll probably play, but as has been with his whole career, I seriously doubt he will translate good VFL form into a ripper AFL match.

I was bullish with Langford early on, but the more I see of him the more I'm convinced that he's just not that good of a player at AFL level and that the best outcome for him now is to be a fringe role player at a club where he can get to 100 games. Hope he proves me wrong (more than happy to be wrong on this) but I think we fans at Essendon have overrated and expected way too much of Kyle based on his draft position and have tried to play down his poor showings at senior level as being down to inexperience.

Inb4 he has 30 touches against the blues.

He struggles with the speed of AFL level becuase he barely gets played there. He needs four weeks in a row at seniors then we can make a better decision on his future.

He has talent BUT if he also has gaps in his skill set. Look at Essendon. We are bottom four. We would be playing him if he was fully prepared. At VFL level he has been tasked to win contested pressure, spread from contests and two way run. He struggles with two way running and winning uncontested possessions from spread footy.

My problem with that is there are MANY players at AFL level who are not doing what Langers is being punished for. He should get a go.

If he leaves at the end of the year for more opportunity I won't hold it against him. Very similar to Houli and Ted Richards. It's the clubs fault for how he has progressed his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back