Toast Kylie Watson-Wheeler, new President of the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Wowee. Another true bulldog. In 1959, my grandfather also made a box for me to stand on.

You haven't made it until you've stood on a slab of beer that got smaller through the day before you had to go scavenging because you couldn't see the game anymore

Clay Smith can take over if she leaves.

I’m sure she’s good very good business acumen, but she’s far too silent in the background for many fans liking
Fair enough. If she was AFL CEO she'd have to be more front and centre. Nature of the job

You don't rate her?

Why not?
To be fair I don’t really know the ins and outs of her performance in the role and maybe I’m biased from having great vocal leaders previously like Gordan & Smorgan. She’s practically invisible, I don’t think I’ve heard her speak since she took over, has never once taken a public stand on any issues etc - again just from the outside looking in its always felt like a bit of a stepping stone for her to the top job, and I like having a passionate outspoken president who stands up for the club.

There’s also rumours floating around that Gordan is livid with the current footy department & Bevo and would possibly come back if given the opportunity, and as someone who wants Bevo out I’d be all for that.

Plus it can’t hurt having someone with ties to the club in the top job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure she’s good very good business acumen, but she’s far too silent in the background for many fans liking
She is possibly very vocal with the right people at the right time. It's the CEO's job to keep us up to date on day to day matters......not the president

She is possibly very vocal with the right people at the right time. It's the CEO's job to keep us up to date on day to day matters......not the president

I know, I didn’t say she wasn’t. But there’s times you want the president to come out and help fight the battles too, but be smarter than someone like Eddie/Koch/literally anyone at Essendon. Just not sure being close to completely silent is what most fans would want.

I know, I didn’t say she wasn’t. But there’s times you want the president to come out and help fight the battles too, but be smarter than someone like Eddie/Koch/literally anyone at Essendon. Just not sure being close to completely silent is what most fans would want.
What issues has she not commented on publicly that you would have liked her to have done so on?

As an example she could have commented on the Jamarra situation a couple of weeks ago but didn’t. Who knows if she did anything behind the scene or not (and that’s really the job of the executive not the president / board). In any case, when it comes to governance give me an effective silent operator every day over a vocal average one.

It’s a tough one, like many, I would prefer a more vocal President at times, especially for a smaller club, but the ins and outs of that job…it’s hard for us to judge.

She might be the best operator around for all we know.

Plus, Kylie would’ve seen loud-mouthed buffoons in Eddie, Kochie etc make fools of themselves.

If she chose another way to operate because of those types, who could blame her?

It would be great for Kylie to get the job. Off field she is probably doing a great job but I feel our footy ops has stagnated now for a few years. Might be a win win for the club. I too would be happy for Gordon to return. He would definitely keep Bevo and the boys club in check.

Can't help but think it's a box ticking exercise by the AFL picking a female for the job, but hopefully it'll benefit us. As for our President, if it happens, hopefully we get one that lays down the law to the footy department.

Can't help but think it's a box ticking exercise by the AFL picking a female for the job, but hopefully it'll benefit us. As for our President, if it happens, hopefully we get one that lays down the law to the footy department.
Not at all - it's all about streaming cash flow and maximizing online revenue and nobody in AFL land knows the intricacies better than KWW. That's arguably the sole reason she's in the hunt.

Based on what exactly? Your misogyny?

That is possible but the AFL does have a long history of tokenism and genuine poor behaviour.
Good chance to fix it with KWW at the helm then.

She wouldn’t be the worst choice, just as “The Boy’s Club” dynasty approaches its fourth decade.

That is possible but the AFL does have a long history of tokenism and genuine poor behaviour.
She is someone who is thoroughly qualified for a CEO role. They aren't just pulling a woman off the street and handing her a prominent role and to say otherwise is pretty disrespectful to be honest.

Kylie Watson-Wheeler is the Senior Vice President & Managing Director, for The Walt Disney Company Australia and New Zealand and the President of The Western Bulldogs (AFL Club). She also has Regional leadership responsibility for ESPN and National Geographic across APAC.

Kylie is responsible for The Walt Disney Company in Australia and New Zealand across Film, TV, Digital, Home Entertainment distribution and streaming services. She manages a portfolio of content and products across Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN, ABC Studios (US), 20th Century Fox and National Geographic.

Kylie has 18 years of entertainment industry experience and has led multiple areas of business across The Walt Disney Company including content, marketing, sales, and theatrical distribution. She has also held responsibility for the Publishing business across the region including India, South East Asia and Korea.

Before joining Disney, Kylie was the Director of Advertising and Brand management for Hallmark Cards Inc., based in Kansas City, USA, where she oversaw and managed the marketing function for Hallmark’s US$4 billion business. Prior to moving to the US, Kylie spent four years as Hallmark Australia’s Marketing Manager. Kylie also has held various marketing positions at Coca-Cola Amatil and Penguin Books.

Kylie is also a Board Member of The Australian Ballet, Mentone Grammar School and the Motion Pictures Distribution Association of Australia (MPDAA).

She holds directorships for the following entities:

The Walt Disney Company (Australia) Pty Ltd
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment South Pacific Pty Ltd
Twenty-First Century Fox Film Distributors Pty Ltd
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation (Australia) Pty Ltd
The Walt Disney Company (New Zealand) Ltd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back