Kyrgios: "I actually don't like tennis"

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed but not surprised. Why would nick want to play for the leader of the team who has been attacking him continuously?
Let's put this in a scenario that most could better relate to...

Let's say he have player X who's a very good player who plays for the Falcons
He's teammate of player Y who also plays at the Falcons.

Both players have a reputation as "bad boys" but player X has cleaned up his act recently and has acted to a standard consistent with most others in the industry.

Player X decides he wants to join the Sharks but multiple times, the Sharks coach/captain publicly (and allegedly privately) comes out and criticises player X because player Y is acting up.

The coach/captain makes no effort to clarify matters nor do the Sharks show any inclination to reach out to him.

How do you reckon player X would feel about going and playing for the Sharks now?
Is it reasonable for him to say "well, rather than going to a club who has treated me poorly and doesn't want me, I will stay here where I can go about my business and be fully supported by the Falcons (Tennis Australia)"?

Let's put this in a scenario that most could better relate to...

Let's say he have player X who's a very good player who plays for the Falcons
He's teammate of player Y who also plays at the Falcons.

Both players have a reputation as "bad boys" but player X has cleaned up his act recently and has acted to a standard consistent with most others in the industry.

Player X decides he wants to join the Sharks but multiple times, the Sharks coach/captain publicly (and allegedly privately) comes out and criticises player X because player Y is acting up.

The coach/captain makes no effort to clarify matters nor do the Sharks show any inclination to reach out to him.

How do you reckon player X would feel about going and playing for the Sharks now?
Is it reasonable for him to say "well, rather than going to a club who has treated me poorly and doesn't want me, I will stay here where I can go about my business and be fully supported by the Falcons (Tennis Australia)"?

That's not a very good analogy. Most of the time tennis players are not playing for any team and TA and the AOC 'teams' are not mutually exclusive.

You could look at it this way, the best way to prove his point would be to go to Rio and win a medal despite the AOC's misgivings and 'stick it up 'em' (then tweet about it :p )

You could look at it this way, the best way to prove his point would be to go to Rio and win a medal despite the AOC's misgivings and 'stick it up 'em' (then tweet about it :p )
As I said earlier, that proves nobody wrong. Chiller conduct has simply been poor. You might say Kyrgios has overreacted but he's made a legitimate stand against poor treatment. I see it as a straw that broke the camels back scenario.

This is a bloke who's very young, has put a lot of effort into improving his behaviour, is supported by TA, and gets unfairly smashed by the media. The last thing Chiller should have done is come out and blast Kygios for Tomic acting like a flog. I'm not surprised he threw his hands in the air.

As I said earlier, that proves nobody wrong. Chiller conduct has simply been poor. You might say Kyrgios has overreacted but he's made a legitimate stand against poor treatment. I see it as a straw that broke the camels back scenario.

This is a bloke who's very young, has put a lot of effort into improving his behaviour, is supported by TA, and gets unfairly smashed by the media. The last thing Chiller should have done is come out and blast Kygios for Tomic acting like a flog. I'm not surprised he threw his hands in the air.

You don't get anywhere in life by throwing your hands in the air. If he really wanted to go to the Olympics he should not have let Kitty Chiller put him off.

You don't get anywhere in life by throwing your hands in the air. If he really wanted to go to the Olympics he should not have let Kitty Chiller put him off.
No I think it's good that he stuck to his principle. Chiller was treating him with a double standard and now she gets the consequence of potentially costing Australia a gold medal. There's another Olympics in four years, he can play then.

No I think it's good that he stuck to his principle. Chiller was treating him with a double standard and now she gets the consequence of potentially costing Australia a gold medal. There's another Olympics in four years, he can play then.

I agree, anyway now he can focus on the Grand Slams

Well done Nick, the Olympics isn't the pinnacle for tennis. I think it's best for him not to associate with such a toxic organisation/people and just focus on his tennis.

Chiller on the otherhand should be sacked, they way she has handled this is nothing short of a disgrace. Not only has she cost the country a genuine medal chance (and the windfalls that would come with that) but you look at what she's said about Flanagan & Diamond compared to Kyrgios and you can only shake your head. The man has done nothing wrong!

His principle was, 'I'm going to play Olympics and Chiller can stick it'. I doubt Chiller is losing any sleep over it either, she's no doubt thinking good riddance, one less thing I have to worry about. By capitulating Nick has let her win.

His principle was, 'I'm going to play Olympics and Chiller can stick it'. I doubt Chiller is losing any sleep over it either, she's no doubt thinking good riddance, one less thing I have to worry about. By capitulating Nick has let her win.

Nick's principle was a facade. A bluff. Besides, Kitty isn't losing sleep only because she's the Chef de Mission (who has the backing of the AOC and the media) so she wins no matter what and as CdM underneath all this BS of 'image and values', all she really cares about is the medal tally and on the unlikely chance of Nick getting a medal in Rio, no one here would give 2 shits about it because the media will be focused on their precious swimming team anyway.

As far as Nick concerned, he should do something special @ Wimby or the US Open or both and this is quite possible. For his sake, he'd want to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is only the Olympics. It means nothing apart from if you manage to get a medal- lets cut the chase he wasn't getting a medal this year. He gets no points, no money...exactly what is the point? Can rest up for the US hardcourt season and the US Open which is 100 times more important than the Olmpics for a tennis player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/o...d/news-story/15c72913fea4b711c8723318afcedd8a

Kyrgios complained no-one from the AOC had contacted him to discuss their concerns, but nor did the tennis star attend any Ignite or Aspire events put on by the AOC, where athletes learn about the Australian team’s history and value systems.

The men's tennis season can last 10-11 months (women 9-10 months) and is mostly played overseas. One can't just reschedule for the sake of one of these "corporate" lectures. Have any of the other tennis players been to one of these 'events'? I'm feeling an ignorant and anti-tennis vibe with some of these statements.

Olympic sprinter Matt Shirvington echoed Tomkins’ view, saying the work done on reconnecting Australian athletes to the past had fostered a powerful spirit for Rio not felt since Sydney.

“Massive lessons were learned in London,” Shirvington said. “I was in London and I understand what team morale means for success, and it was at an highest low in London."

Great English there o_O

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...l/news-story/c3f0226a5083cd399d66b26338a1bf6c

Wow. A real legend has spoken. Who will listen to him tho?

“Massive lessons were learned in London,” Shirvington said. “I was in London and I understand what team morale means for success, and it was at an highest low in London."
lol at that. Well spoken.
Another thing, the whole we've learnt hard lessons from London and how important morale is and thus someone like Kyrgios shouldn't be allowed to go that's trotted out in mainstream media, is absolute bullshit.

The prescription drug scandal, athletes/coaches infighting, honestly athletes not even giving a * about the 2012 olympics yet for some reason this is a mark against Nicks name.

TENNIS legend Rod Laver has urged Australians to lay off Nick Kyrgios following his Olympic Games withdrawal.

Regarded as the greatest player in history, Laver said Kyrgios needed support - not condemnation.

“If we can encourage him and not criticise (him) is probably the best thing that can happen right now,” Laver said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...l/news-story/c3f0226a5083cd399d66b26338a1bf6c

Finally someone talking some sense instead of being super critical..

Drink driving and firearms offenses are obviously not that bad compared to shouting and swearing during a match
What I don't understand is how his behaviour could have led to a 16 page please explain letter? The incident with stan was in very poor taste, but he apologised for it, received a suspended 6 month sentence and has been much improved behaviour wise since then. The few incidents the media have highlighted this year have been minor at worst. Code violations in tennis are common.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back