Recommitted Kysaiah Pickett [Re-Signed till 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Port will get it done.

We’ve got a few players ooc , one might ask to go.

If they don’t then worst case scenario we have future 1st, and current 2nd and 3rd rounders.

But it’s possible one of our yet unsigned players Georgiades, Bergman, Farrell or Bonner asks to be traded (or leaves in free agency in bonners case) .

Pickett is worth 2 x bergman
They'll have their own future first and that's it if im not mistaken. Would think either Bergman, Duursma or Georgiades will have to go to get them another first to get a deal over the line for Pickett.

And I'd be more than happy if it was Carlton handing over that first rounder for Bergman. Would be a good fit for us.

They'll have their own future first and that's it if im not mistaken. Would think either Bergman, Duursma or Georgiades will have to go to get them another first to get a deal over the line for Pickett.

And I'd be more than happy if it was Carlton handing over that first rounder for Bergman. Would be a good fit for us.
Yeah, it'd have to be someone of high calibre. Bonner and Farrell isn't cutting it. Barely even Duursma. Whatever it is, if Port want him they'll offer something reasonable. which I think is 2 firsts.

Yeah, it'd have to be someone of high calibre. Bonner and Farrell isn't cutting it. Barely even Duursma. Whatever it is, if Port want him they'll offer something reasonable. which I think is 2 firsts.
I agree. Disagreed with you on Luke Jackson but Pickett is an out and out gun. Theres no question marks over where he's best suited because he'll always be able to fall back on being a top 5 small forward in the comp for a decade. 2 firsts or a very very early one similar to the Rankine trade (mind you this years a 'superdraft').

I agree. Disagreed with you on Luke Jackson but Pickett is an out and out gun. Theres no question marks over where he's best suited because he'll always be able to fall back on being a top 5 small forward in the comp for a decade. 2 firsts or a very very early one similar to the Rankine trade (mind you this years a 'superdraft').
yeah, the super draft means the Future 1's value is even less because it's not even in the good draft and dees would have to pay overs to turn a F1 into a current first.

Not sure how much you saw of Ried at last year's carnival, but he's outstanding. I don't think I've seen a more certain pick 1. Just my opinion, but if he was allowed in to last year's draft he would have gone pick 1 as a 17 year old.

Personally, I'd flick just about anyone on the list for him. He's that good.
We saw this debate with Tom Boyd. Was touted as an out and out star and a must have for GWS in his draft year even though they had Cameron and Patton at that stage. At least the Bulldogs got half a season and a premiership out of him, lot more than GWS did.

There is a bit of a mixed bag with high draft picks that are touted as must haves. Playing in an U18 competition or at state level is very different to playing in a professional environment and some aren't emotionally or mentally prepared for the change or expectation that comes with it. Another is the go home factor which is becoming more of an issue that clubs have to address.

The main reason for Geelong and Sydney's prolonged stay towards the top of the table without a lot of overly high picks is that both clubs are very good at going for the player that fills a need, not necessarily the best talent. I agree with you that Reid looks like he'll be a star from day dot and should go as pick 1 based on ability, I just don't agree with the mantra (of some) that having the best talent negates needing to find players to fill a need.

The main reason for Geelong and Sydney's prolonged stay towards the top of the table without a lot of overly high picks is that both clubs are very good at going for the player that fills a need, not necessarily the best talent.
I’m sure the endless supply of top end talent via their academy has nothing to do with it. Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell and Gulden all wouldn’t be at your club otherwise. I don’t think Sydney are at all comparable to Geelong

We saw this debate with Tom Boyd. Was touted as an out and out star and a must have for GWS in his draft year even though they had Cameron and Patton at that stage. At least the Bulldogs got half a season and a premiership out of him, lot more than GWS did.

There is a bit of a mixed bag with high draft picks that are touted as must haves. Playing in an U18 competition or at state level is very different to playing in a professional environment and some aren't emotionally or mentally prepared for the change or expectation that comes with it. Another is the go home factor which is becoming more of an issue that clubs have to address.

The main reason for Geelong and Sydney's prolonged stay towards the top of the table without a lot of overly high picks is that both clubs are very good at going for the player that fills a need, not necessarily the best talent. I agree with you that Reid looks like he'll be a star from day dot and should go as pick 1 based on ability, I just don't agree with the mantra (of some) that having the best talent negates needing to find players to fill a need.
The 'must haves' from the last couple of drafts (Daicos, Fletcher, Rowell, Walsh etc) are all pretty exciting. Just my opinion if course, but Reid looks better than all of them. Probably have to go back to Goddard to find someone who impressed me this much.

I’m sure the endless supply of top end talent via their academy has nothing to do with it. Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell and Gulden all wouldn’t be at your club otherwise. I don’t think Sydney are at all comparable to Geelong

Every club passed on Gulden. Even though he was an academy player it is unfair to lump him in with the rest given that he was taken in the open draft.

Every club passed on Gulden. Even though he was an academy player it is unfair to lump him in with the rest given that he was taken in the open draft.
He was still bid on, he wasn’t taken in the open draft, and it allowed them to change their draft strategy knowing they’d get him regardless. Didn’t have to reach early for him since they could simply match with a late pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Y
I would bother bringing Farrell and Bonner into this thread. They probably wouldn’t even be steak knives value for Melbourne.
Ou are looking at it the wrong way..if either or both were shopped, it might be a 3rd party club offering a 2nd rounder for one or both, that 2nd along with ports 2nd might get a back ended 1st? This year to go with their F1 for pickett..there potentially is your 2 1st rounders. Tbishas multiclub deal written all over it given ports current hand

Y

Ou are looking at it the wrong way..if either or both were shopped, it might be a 3rd party club offering a 2nd rounder for one or both, that 2nd along with ports 2nd might get a back ended 1st? This year to go with their F1 for pickett..there potentially is your 2 1st rounders. Tbishas multiclub deal written all over it given ports current hand
Yeah I tend to agree. it must be a package.

I agree that Geelong are better at it than any other club and have more examples in recent years. However, I was looking at the last 15 - 20 years of sustained success as a whole as any club can have a good year or 2 and, with the exception of Gold Coast, all clubs have in this time period. What takes a club beyond that isn't their top end talent but rather their role players and how well clubs sign and keep players to fill a need.
The 'must haves' from the last couple of drafts (Daicos, Fletcher, Rowell, Walsh etc) are all pretty exciting. Just my opinion if course, but Reid looks better than all of them. Probably have to go back to Goddard to find someone who impressed me this much.
100% agree that Reid looks like a champion. 100% agree on Daicos and Walsh 1 and 2 years in but wouldn't put Rowell in there yet as his body is questionable. Out of a possible 67 games since his debut has only played 40. I wouldn't consider it a win if my club spent a high end pick like pick 1 on a player that has only played approx 60% of possible games heading into his 4th year. Time will tell whether Brisbane have got it right with Ashcroft and Fletcher but early signs look good.

Y

Am I wrong in saying that if Port trade their future first they must keep their future 2nd? Same with this years second given they've already moved on their first?

I never remember the intricacies of that rule but I know there's some mumbo jumbo you have to abide by with trading your first and second rounders in a draft.

Am I wrong in saying that if Port trade their future first they must keep their future 2nd? Same with this years second given they've already moved on their first?

I never remember the intricacies of that rule but I know there's some mumbo jumbo you have to abide by with trading your first and second rounders in a draft.
They can trade their 2023 second rounder this year but you are right that if they trade their 2024 they cant trade any of their other future picks

Port would want more than pick 18 :)

Fair point regarding finding other picks. But those two even combined probably don’t command a 2nd as it stands. But sure this type of deal could be in play to find additional picks.

I think it's most likely he signs another contract with Melbourne, but if he were to leave I suspect he'd go to WA, not SA.

As for Bergman ? I'll have to keep a closer eye on him.

He's in his 4th year and has never had more than 25 disposals and 4 clearances. His highest number of goal assists is one. Impressively, he's done that more than once. Phew.

I'm not sure that there's as much difference between academy picks and father sons as the Victorian Illiterati would have us believe - in fact the Swans spent more in terms of draft capital and club resources on their academy players than Geelong did on their haul of father sons.

This aside, I'm sure that somebody with more football knowledge and less of an agenda to push would realise that it is primarily Sydney's rookie drafting that has kept them competitive over time, as the league is frequently littered with teams full of top picks that fail to challenge the 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back