Moved Thread La Nina is coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

From GCCC

Key Messages as at 5.15PM

- This weather event is not over
- It is expected to get worse later tonight and into the morning.
- From 10.00pm tonight, based on current forecasts, some parts of the City are expected to get another 300mm of rain
- The absolute heaviest rain is expected to hit around 2.00am and it is likely that quite intense rain will continue through until about 8.00am tomorrow morning
- The biggest falls may be in the hinterland and two valleys – Currumbin and Tallebudgera
- Overnight rainfall in some parts has already exceeded 300mm so the ground is wet, and the creeks are running
- There is some localised flooding in two creek catchments – Currumbin and Tallebudgera
- This is our focus overnight and we will watch developments closely
- Our DMU will of course be activated throughout and is currently at stand up

BEACHES

- All beaches remain closed
- There is some minor scarping, worse towards southern beaches, but no major damage yet
- The message is simple – stay away from the beaches

SANDBAGGING

- We have three sandbagging stations – Coomera, Reedy Creek and Tugun
- These will close at 6.00pm tonight as we do not want people on the roads at night.
- If necessary, they will re-open in the morning

UPCOMING WEATHER PREDICTION

- Rainfall in the next 18-24 hours could reach 300mm in parts of the City
- This is a large weather system

WHAT RESIDENTS SHOULD DO

- Remain vigilant and as ever, be alert not alarmed
- Do not travel on roads unless it’s essential
- Keep everyone away from flooded creeks
- If its flooded – forget it. Do not attempt to cross.

The City’s Disaster Dashboard has all the latest information. Follow the City’s social media channels.
--

Do you live on a cliff face? Or have the trees destroyed whatever was there?
Im fairly safe as im on top of a ridge and its not that steep either side ( so shouldn’t - Touch wood - slip like others further into the valley). They are forecasting we could be trapped in here tho as the river swells overnight and into morning blocking the only road in/out.
im heading to bed now early to get as much sleep as i cam before its due to be at its heaviest around 3am. Just in case i need todo anything.

How'd youse go last night.

Looks like the worst of the rain isn't here yet but is just starting to cross the coast now. Good luck, don't drive thru water.
Yeh we ok. Another 35mm overnight. Its high king tide too atm. Another heavy band crossing now

Main Beach Byron

f1b14f2b7e1a6de5dcb288df10983b4c5d6cf8a2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wet Season in FNQ. Since mid-December, and especially since Christmas Day, it seems to rain for a third of each day. I suspect some nearby areas cop it more viciously and sustained though, we seem to get glancing blows from the worst storms. Into the west the drought seems to be ending. The sporting field near my house was a sad dusty about 6 weeks ago, now lush and seemingly mowed twice a week.

106mm in last 10 hours, and we miss the worst bits. I've been keeping an eye on the local radars throughout the day and Babinda in particular seems to be copping it relentlessly.

I visited a town next to a mountain today and the very second I got out of an A/C car or building my glasses fogged up. Maxed out humidity in a location like that at a time like this.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back