Moved Thread La Nina is coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Had about 150mm in 6 hours last night. Was pretty crazy. The frogs were lovin it, in plague numbers (that more chill droning ribbit they do is very relaxing late at night). And once again, we weren't getting any of the real heavy stuff on the radar, so some other areas would have copped it nasty. Can't really see any damage near the home this morning.

At one point even several metres undercover was getting wet, with spindrifty rain streaks in flash torch light. The poor moths had no where to go, seemed like they got wiped out. Came across a depressed looking one and there were none on the usual flyscreen nightlight bleacher haunts.

Last edited:
Still those monsoonal rains, been 3-4 weeks now of this.

Seems to cause havoc in the insect populations. Found a few dead stick insects (probably because their camouflage haven in trees is more exposed to rainfall), including a massive one this morning. I've also killed 3 queen green tree ants in the last week, found them moping about immediately after heavy rainfall, like survivors of some nest calamity. Like stick insects, these weaver ants nest in trees (they play that pest control role with our citrus tree), so exposed to elements.

Last edited:

I’m in the Cyclone Kimi warning zone. If it reaches Cat2 before making landfall, wowee!

Just noticed the wind starting to pick up.
I just played the animation it doesnt seem too bad but could change
It seems to get bigger as it gets closer to Rocky and Gladstone about Tuesday the following week

looks Like a big one heading to Karatha next Sunday

About half a day ago it looked like Kimi might be a direct hit where I am, but seems to be in a steady southerly direction at the moment. Could land or go back offshore, hard to tell. The rainfall also isn't as crazy as it was with TC Imogen a few weeks back which came in Carpentaria-side (although higher winds obviously make rainfall more hazardous).

51 days of summer in Melbourne and only hit 30 six times. Record low is four.

But the sun is out today to bathe everyone in glorious Tiger premiership sunshine. Good times!

I ran out of water in one of my tanks last night

Cant remember ever running a tank to zero in the wet season before

and it was full at the end of the dry season which doesnt happen normally either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

680.png

680.jpg

Hotter and drier here

February was near perfect in Canberra, most days were in the mid 20's, sunny with a slight breeze. We only had two days above 30 (30.8 and 30) and one day below 20 (18.9) and most of the rain we received was early in the month and during the night. Near perfect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back