Labor wins the state seat of Hawthorn but did he win because of his name ?

Remove this Banner Ad

newcs

Club Legend
May 16, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
After two weeks of counting and recounting of votes, the State seat of Hawthorn has finally been won by Labor.
This seat has been a Liberal blue ribbon seat for decades. To put into proper prospective, the last time Labor held this seat, the Hawthorn football team were sitting on the bottom of the ladder and had never won a premiership.
Is it more than a coincidence that the Labor candidate shares his name with Hawthorn legend John Kennedy.
John Kennedy (MLA elect) is a 71yo semi-retired former school principle.
Did he get those extra votes to get him over the line because of who he shares his name with ?

My guess is the number of non Hawthorn supporters living within the seat of Hawthorn easily outnumbers the Hawthorn supporters.

Although the Hawks supporters are more likely to respond to the name.

He probably won because Matthew Guy as planning minister allowed the expansion of terrible apartment blocks, some of which would've been built in Hawthorn and therefore changing the demographic from conservative families to progressive younger people.

A lot of people just vote randomly because we have stupid compulsory voting.

Compulsory voting stops mainstream parties targeting the fringes and playing to the base. See: USA

A lot of people just vote randomly because we have stupid compulsory voting.

Compulsory voting is ridiculous. Especially in council elections. I don’t know these people, and what they stand for, what they believe in ect. If they can’t be bothered to put the effort in, to say who they are, what they stand for, what they want to accomplish ect, than why should I waste my time in rocking up to a polling booth, in order not to be fined, just to go eenie meanie minie mo, who’s ego and bank balance will I improve right now?

They want my vote, earn it, rather than being entitled to it.

Compulsory voting is ridiculous. Especially in council elections. I don’t know these people, and what they stand for, what they believe in ect. If they can’t be bothered to put the effort in, to say who they are, what they stand for, what they want to accomplish ect, than why should I waste my time in rocking up to a polling booth, in order not to be fined, just to go eenie meanie minie mo, who’s ego and bank balance will I improve right now?

They want my vote, earn it, rather than being entitled to it.

I don't know about Victoria but voting in local council elections is not compulsory in WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of safe Liberal seats fallen, which means one thing, a protest vote... Liberal Party is a mess, traditional supporters saying “you’re a rabble, get your s**t together”

Will happen next year federally too
Genuinely think they'll be over it by then, forgive and forget.

My observations is that outrage tends to be fleeting in this country and you revert back to your norm rather quickly. Unless you're far left/right then you hold that rage so tight it becomes your identity.

The liberals will vote for the liberals, Labor will win but not in the devasting fashion predicted.

More of the case that Dan seems to govern and get things done. Mandates and follows. Plus dont forget the former victorian liberal governments poison chalice in signing that contact months before an electoon on the very issur. They deserved to get smashed for that alone

But its pretty cool John Kennedy is now the man in Hawthorn. As he always will be <3

Do you sook at taxes being compulsory?
Its the greatest tool to keep a fair and balanced voting system in terms of nutjobs cant mobilize a fringe base because it doesnt reflect the wider views

But knobs like him just whinge he has to spend 5m every 3 years voting and its too hard.

Here I was thinking it was some kind of Geelong conspiracy to win the election and thus shore up funding for Kardinia right under Hawthorns noses with the old bait and switch......Very clever those Corio folk....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back