Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
08 fogarty.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Thought early his kicking needed some real work (first two years it looked a lot like Kerridge's kick), but watching his 2020 games seems he worked a heap on it and it's generally very tidy unless he tries to pull off a risky kick, which I don't mind either. Excited about the prospect of him proving himself with the guidance of Cripps and Russell to build his body (already natural strong) - could become a Libba type inside mid for us.

Thought early his kicking needed some real work (first two years it looked a lot like Kerridge's kick), but watching his 2020 games seems he worked a heap on it and it's generally very tidy unless he tries to pull off a risky kick, which I don't mind either. Excited about the prospect of him proving himself with the guidance of Cripps and Russell to build his body (already natural strong) - could become a Libba type inside mid for us.
Without being an unloveable campaigner though ... please

I guess if you look at it this way ..we picked him 22 and Tim Kelly at 24

Going off that, if we trade him when he's 25 years old, we'll get 4 picks inside the top 25 for him!

Pretty sure....

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Going off that, if we trade him when he's 25 years old, we'll get 4 picks inside the top 25 for him!

Pretty sure....
22 before 24 ..only indicates that swells rated him at the draft... just like any player once in the system its then up to the player to advance. Id think Car will offer more chances in 2021 than Gee so..its probably just a modern trade... one doesn't stack talent like once did.. I dare say every club will face the same issue once they have an over load of talent and strong best22

Do you see Dow, Kemp, Fogarty etc all getting used regularly with players like Williams demanding mid time?

22 before 24 ..only indicates that swells rated him at the draft... just like any player once in the system its then up to the player to advance. Id think Car will offer more chances in 2021 than Gee so..its probably just a modern trade... one doesn't stack talent like once did.. I dare say every club will face the same issue once they have an over load of talent and strong best22

Do you see Dow, Kemp, Fogarty etc all getting used regularly with players like Williams demanding mid time?

Yeah, my previous post was in jest.

I agree with you though, this is just one of those 'everybody is better off with a clean slate' kind of trades. And Geelong is probably the gold standard of not holding fringe players to ransom. We probably paid unders for him, even considering his injuries.

As for our midfield; I see Cripps, Walsh, Williams as our only real A-grade mids at this point (and Williams is not 100% proven as a mid). Setterfield, Ed Curnow, Jack Martin in that next bracket. Then a bunch of guys like Fisher, SPS, Dow, Kemp, Fogarty, Kennedy, Newnes, Gibbons, Stocker fighting for the last few spots. There isn't room for everyone, but there's always injuries and not everyone will ultimately make it at AFL level.

So I am happy to have 8-10 guys fighting it out for the last 5-6 spots in the midfield/flanks.

The more I read/watch and think about Fog, the more excited I get about him donning the Navy Blue.

Could be a gem - go well, Lachie!

I want to see him bring his manic tackling more than anything.

Defensive pressure and a hunger for tackling is something we have lacked for a long time.

Loved watching Martin hunt down opposition players this year. But we could use more like that.

juzz88

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2009
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Juventus
Watching fogs highlights makes me feel he will be groomed to replace Ed. Seems to be pretty tough and fast.
Anybody else feel this is the case?
I never thought of that, but it's an interesting proposition.

He certainly isn't afraid to lay a tackle, so if he has a big enough gas tank, I can't see why he couldn't do the role.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
I want to see him bring his manic tackling more than anything.

Defensive pressure and a hunger for tackling is something we have lacked for a long time.

Loved watching Martin hunt down opposition players this year. But we could use more like that.
Can’t like this post enough spot on..
Honestly we have been shithouse in it for far too long.

pressure, tackling, chase downs, turnovers, smothers all that stuff is the barometer of a team...

We start applying this at the required level get that right and the rest will take care of itself...
I’ll be absolutely rapt...

Can’t like this post enough spot on..
Honestly we have been shithouse in it for far too long.

pressure, tackling, chase downs, turnovers, smothers all that stuff is the barometer of a team...

We start applying this at the required level get that right and the rest will take care of itself...
I’ll be absolutely rapt...

It's one of the reasons I love watching JSOS play.

Dude never gives up on a contest (like his old man). He'll impact however he can (chasing, smothering, pressuring etc).

Almost worth a spot in the 22 based solely on that...

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
It's one of the reasons I love watching JSOS play.

Dude never gives up on a contest (like his old man). He'll impact however he can (chasing, smothering, pressuring etc).

Almost worth a spot in the 22 based solely on that...
It’s a trait i admire about him a lot, smart footballer with a never give in attitude... He’s old man was one of the best I’ve ever seen of all of them, greatest smotherer I’ve seen...

CaressMyBlues

Debutant
Aug 11, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Watching fogs highlights makes me feel he will be groomed to replace Ed. Seems to be pretty tough and fast.

Can't see that mate, personally I'd assume.

Could see Fogarty being half forward role, switching between there and midfield though.
Cott.jpg

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Can't see that mate, personally I'd assume.

Could see Fogarty being half forward role, switching between there and midfield though.
Cott.jpg

Wlll need to learn how to celebrate goals like Cottrell.

Hey guys.

Fog will find himself among familiar faces when training recommences.

View attachment 1015762

Is that O'Brien behind Stephenson? TDK and Dow look......12 :) ...........and Higgins looks 5.

We'll see what sort of impact Fogarty has forward, but he just looks to be something we've missed from defence.......although Plowman has done a good job here, all considered. That being a small, quick, tough, disciplined defender.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Huh? Ed reads the play well so is an absolute ball magnet and has a top 5 tank in the AFL. Ed's disposal is limited and he is actually quite slow in terms of burst speed.

Tackles locking in at contests is different to inside 50 tackling pressure.

Back