Past Lachie Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton fans having a whinge about Geelong, what have the Cats actually done wrong? Traded for a player who decided he wanted to leave? Be unhappy at the player, sure, but you can't blame the Cats.

As a Cats fan, not super happy about us using up all our picks on 5-6 year prospects, even if some of them are good players. We've only just finished a phase (2007-2014) where we basically haven't had many early picks due to ladder position. Now when we get a few we're spending them like drunken sailors on established players.

Good deal. We probably had pick 9 originally but obviously Danger changed that landscape. Non the less we come out only 5-6 picks worse off in a strong draft.. Massive win.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It's like déjà vu all over again. I spent this year cheering against the cats whenever they played coz I thought we would get this years pick. I get to do it all over again

Try this Yogi

reset_button_mlek.jpg

I wouldn't be getting too attached to the pick, I think you'll find it go to GWS.....

GWS are old hands at this future pick stuff, via the compo picks.

They traded back for compo picks in order to spread out their age mix. Would be less of a need now, but they should understand the dynamic better than most.

IF this pick gets us Tomlinson, then Hendo for Tomlinson has to be a big win.

Great result for us. Personally don't think he's worth more than a second round pick, but he really fits this Geelong mini rebuild so worth a first for them.

Good deal for us :thumbsu: On paper the Cats will be a tough proposition next year, taking on J Selwood and Danger will be no fun, with Lachie slotting in down back. Good luck to Hendo.

Carlton fans having a whinge about Geelong, what have the Cats actually done wrong? Traded for a player who decided he wanted to leave? Be unhappy at the player, sure, but you can't blame the Cats.

As a Cats fan, not super happy about us using up all our picks on 5-6 year prospects, even if some of them are good players. We've only just finished a phase (2007-2014) where we basically haven't had many early picks due to ladder position. Now when we get a few we're spending them like drunken sailors on established players.

The whole mid season discussions about Henderson joining Geelong next year and the subsequent drop in form would be two reasons. Reneging on #9 for Henderson when you realized that you would have to trade for Paddy would be another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why you've posted that. The overwhelming majority of Blues supporters have applauded the efficiency of the cats

Really happy about this deal.

We now have 2 picks in the first round for next years draft in what people are saying is a strong draft.

Rebuild looking good

Not sure why you've posted that. The overwhelming majority of Blues supporters have applauded the efficiency of the cats

Agree - I thought the reaction from Carlton fans has been pretty reasonable (apart from odd aggro reaction).

If anything there is angst towards to Henderson but I cant see a lot directed at Geelong ??

We don't get anything else than a lower pick than what they originally promised?

Should have played them for more.

However, I am happy that we have two firsts next year.

Already two first-rounders for next year. Solid. That's how you rebuild.

The draft is supposed to be stronger but I wonder if it will also be more even. God forbid, if we finish bottom 3 we may be able to turn it into 2 top 10 picks instead and have 3 in the top 15 (if Geelong have an average season)

Can't say I've seen ANY Blues fans having a dig at Geelong. If you finish top 4, that's pretty much exactly where Hendo's worth is. If you stagnate and finish similar to this year, bonus for us, 9-12 pick range. There was very little mucking around and a deal was done in the first 3 days of trade. Your club knows what it wants, knows what they're worth and just gets it done.
Now, don't get me wrong, we ALL want you to lose heavily next year, but we promise that it's only because it increases our pick.

The draft is supposed to be stronger but I wonder if it will also be more even. God forbid, if we finish bottom 3 we may be able to turn it into 2 top 10 picks instead and have 3 in the top 15 (if Geelong have an average season)

Can't see us NOT finishing bottom 3, so we should be aiming to get 5-6 first round picks over 2015-2016. We currently have secured 3 of those.

Can't say I've seen ANY Blues fans having a dig at Geelong. If you finish top 4, that's pretty much exactly where Hendo's worth is. If you stagnate and finish similar to this year, bonus for us, 9-12 pick range. There was very little mucking around and a deal was done in the first 3 days of trade. Your club knows what it wants, knows what they're worth and just gets it done.
Now, don't get me wrong, we ALL want you to lose heavily next year, but we promise that it's only because it increases our pick.

Spot on. Applaud Geelong for their shrewed businesslike manner and professionalism. If only more teams went to the trade table and worked as well with other teams. Had to have a massive guffaw at Nathan Buckley saying the same thing on Twitter when the Pies are almost as notoriously bad as Dodo(ro) Bird to deal with.

Do think we could/should have gotten a bit more than a lower pick next year but understand the outcome.

Here's my take on the Cats next year and our ensuing pick.
Personally I'm not convinced. They could be pushing top 4, which would give us 15-18, but I don't think they'll make the GF, so that narrows to 15-16 at worst.
They've lost Johnson, Kelly, Rivers and Stokes from a team that finished 10th and added Danger, Hendo and the crappy Selwood that's missed half the games the past 2 years. Bartel (31), Enright (34), Lonergan (31), Mackie (31), Taylor (29). Mitch Clark only managed 8 games. I think they might be in for a slight improvement at best and will be around the 8, which would give us 10-13 range.
For all the talk of Selwood having an average year, his stats are pretty much bang on previous years (disposals - 25, 26, 25, 26, 26 over the past 5 years), but he didn't hit the scoreboard as much as he has in the last couple of years (but about the same as he did in 2011/2012).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back