Scandal Lachie Hunter to face drink driving charges after fleeing the scene of a crash

Remove this Banner Ad

Leaving the scene is a serious matter, given the litany of other offences involved would not mind seeing him get 14 days in the slammer to think about his actions. The Doggies should then proceed with fines and games off.

Enough is enough.
I'm just generally sick of AFL players getting off with slaps on the wrist.

Toby Greene bashed a bouncer so badly he ended up with PTSD and couldn't work again
Paddy Ryder assaulted a bouncer outside a nightclub
Luke Hodge / Liam Ryan / countless others have had drink driving charges

The list is near endless, yet how many of these guys have actually had serious charges stick? Sports people seem to be above the law in this country, and it's about time that stopped. I'm a Dogs fan, but I think Lachie needs to have the book thrown at him here. Any regular person would be facing potential jail time for this

But you are comparing a first year player, his first year in the system, with a 25 year old VC.

The fact that Lachie is the VC talks alot about the values of the bulldogs, and their culture.

If this was Bailey Smith, it would be a (large) indiscretion, but not not necessarily something bigger about the club.

The Vice Captain has gone on an absolute bender and then engaged 2 players to try and help him out of the mess.

And Smith is teetotal too no? Great example from the leadership group.

I don't care for this "woe is the players" crap and excuses being bandied around at the moment (looking at you, Tom Browne).

They are mortal humans like the rest of us, still a part of the same society and subject to the same rules and regulations.

No excuses. Stay home, behave or otherwise make yourself useful that doesn't involve endangering others.

I'm just generally sick of AFL players getting off with slaps on the wrist.

Toby Greene bashed a bouncer so badly he ended up with PTSD and couldn't work again
Luke Hodge / Liam Ryan / countless others have had drink driving charges

The list is near endless, yet how many of these guys have actually had serious charges stick? Sports people seem to be above the law in this country, and it's about time that stopped. I'm a Dogs fan, but I think Lachie needs to have the book thrown at him here. Any regular person would be facing potential jail time for this

Interestingly the only player I can think of who has had serious charges stick and be taken all the way to the County Court was the only Sudanese player in the game at the time.

Funny that isn't it hey.

The Sudanese bloke getting the full treatment.

(And for the record if he played at the Dogs they would have done the same thing, not a North thing)

ahhh! the 'good bloke defence', it was either that or the other tried and true AFL defence of 'mental health issues'... Interesting choice, lets see how it plays out.
Well some people in the media are already running the mental health issue. Mental health issues from the stress of being on holiday at half pay. Compared to all of the other people who are out of work with no pay.

Did this occur in his time at Essendon?

Because its a completely inaccurate description of what occured on Hindley Street while he was at Port. Which had video that showed, Patrick Ryder standing near a fight until he was attacked by someone else. He then defended himself from that assailant. He got off with a caution because the video showed that the charges against him were bullshit, if it had actually gone to court it would've been dismissed.

Interestingly the only player I can think of who has had serious charges stick and be taken all the way to the County Court was the only Sudanese player in the game at the time.

Funny that isn't it hey.

The Sudanese bloke getting the full treatment.

(And for the record if he played at the Dogs they would have done the same thing, not a North thing)
Stephen Milne and Andrew Lovett are Sudanese?

Hunter was a bit of a worry as a young player. Believe off field queries played a part in him coming to us cheaply at draft time.

Thought he had it under control but this is a spectacular utensil up.

No defending it. Deserves a massive whack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the AFL won't tolerate this kind of behaviour. I'm sure they will come down just as hard as they did on hodge
Considering we have a woman bashing enthusiast calling prime time games, I doubt the AFL does s**t about this. This protection of players and constant sweeping under the rug needs to stop but the boys club looks after each other

First year player, seasoned veteran or marquee player - there's no excuse. Luckily enough no one was badly injured or worse off - killed. I have no tolerance for drink driving.

Wow I'm shocked and appalled at some of the responses here. Mental health is a serious issue. Moreso given the current situation all Australians are dealing with. I hope Lachie can make a quick recovery. Mental health is no joke people.

I am shocked and appalled you think drink driving and smashing into 4 parked cars is ok & breaching so many COVID-19 rules.

Driving whilst under the influence is NO JOKE and inexcusable.

He could have killed someone.

I hope VicPol throw the book at him!

I am shocked and appalled you think drink driving and smashing into 4 parked cars is ok & breaching so many COVID-19 rules.

Driving whilst under the influence is NO JOKE and inexcusable.

He could have killed someone.

I hope VicPol throw the book at him!

He was only trolling us with his insincere concernds about mental health

Dazb86 said in the Bulldogs board that he doesn't think it's a big deal, and just one of those mistakes you make when you're young (25 is not young). Dazzy said he did plenty of stupid things when he was that age.

Nothing to see here!!!

Their insurance will cover their cars.

The insurance companies of the others involved will then bill Lachie for the costs. That way the victims aren't left out of pocket.

Could be an easy 20-30K considering he hit 4 cars and one is a Mercedes, and I dont think they drive Toyota Corona's down in Middle Park.

30K just for the Merc!

Not a good time to be taking a salary cut while your insurance company won’t cover the cost of the damage you’ve caused to other cars because you’re over the limit.

Silly boy.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/391534/star-dog-set-to-be-charged-after-allegedly-fleeing-car-crash
I think you're being very nice to call him "silly".

On multiple counts, it bloody stupid, childish and irresponsible behaviour. Throw the book at him, there's no place for that sort of behaviour in society.

And to think this is the sort of behaviour from one of the top couple of 'leaders' at a football club

Left his license details with residents near the accident site, reports of him fleeing the crash site are incorrect. Those detail are how police found him.

Apparently didn’t believe he was over the limit but don’t think you can use that as an excuse.
Maybe it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for him then. It says something about his pathetic judgement then if that's the case.

That's a residual reading when they finally found and tested him, would have been more than that at the time of hitting four cars. Seems to me like quite a number of beers.
It's more than 2 or 3, that's for sure.

I'd be thinking it's at least 6 or 7 - > but "he didn't think he was over the limit". :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back