Recommitted Lachie Neale [OOC 2023 - Will honour his contract]

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Brisbane get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.
C53EA1CA-A2F1-4104-B851-8530D6169119.jpeg

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Neale moved to Brissie, and made his bed with a contract that goes to the end of next year.

He now wants to return because his partner wants to be around family in WA.

Flip flopping is not a good look. You can’t keep changing your mind on a whim. How would his old team mates at Freo feel ?.

A contract is a contract, hold out till the end of the contract.
I wouldn't mind a clause in player contracts that if the player decides to break it, they have to pay back anything they were paid above their yearly average wage due to front ending.

It will be apparent in 2 years that’s all I’m saying
I love Neales work but he maybe has 3 years left
injuries aside Cerra is just going to get better + better

I'll eat your shoe, hat, dick, whatever if Cerra outperforms Neale over the two years. Cerra projects to be a very good player. Lachie is an elite one and you're losing Cerra regardless. I'd be happy to keep Lachie and for the Dockers to draft a guy who'll be good in 3 years to replace Cerra.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
if it's true that they want to move back, then its pretty shitty on neales part. They knew they were planning on starting a family when he asked to be traded back in 2018, he's made that pretty obvious in his social media posts. With the money he's on, he can get all the help they need for 2 years. he'll be close to retiring by the time the kids going to school.

id be filthy if i were the lions. its a very different situation to a kid being drafted essentially against his will at 18 and then wanting to move home 3-4 years later. he chose to go to brisbane and they gave up a lot to get him for only 3 (albeit 3 very good) years.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
if it's true that they want to move back, then its pretty shitty on neales part. They knew they were planning on starting a family when he asked to be traded back in 2018, he's made that pretty obvious in his social media posts. With the money he's on, he can get all the help they need for 2 years. he'll be close to retiring by the time the kids going to school.

id be filthy if i were the lions. its a very different situation to a kid being drafted essentially against his will at 18 and then wanting to move home 3-4 years later. he chose to go to brisbane and they gave up a lot to get him for only 3 (albeit 3 very good) years.

yeah covid hadn’t hit, his Wa born wife wasn’t pregnant.
life changes

freo99

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll eat your shoe, hat, dick, whatever if Cerra outperforms Neale over the two years. Cerra projects to be a very good player. Lachie is an elite one and you're losing Cerra regardless. I'd be happy to keep Lachie and for the Dockers to draft a guy who'll be good in 3 years to replace Cerra.
If he does come over I really don’t want to see him on any more than a 2 year contract
with no frontloading

You know that ain't happening, Snuff
Yeah, its hard. I personally think open market he's worth a pick about 10. You'll say I'm way off but I'm saying that valuing Fyfe at a late first, and the fact on average, anyone you draft at 10 will historically probably play more games then Neale us left. I'd argue he's worth less than that to us given he doesnt meet a need or age bracket.

Neale has 60ish VERY good games left, probably 100 games left total given his gamestyle will probably age fast. His injuries this year are also a worry given his age.

Premierships are priceless though and he very well may be the difference between you guys winning or losing one so he's worth more than market value to you.

So we have this stalemate where we should be just tell Neale to jog on and get comfy in QLD for 1 or 2 more years (however long his contract is).

If he does come over I really don’t want to see him on any more than a 2 year contract
with no frontloading

The contract terms will be up to Freo but you could expect at least 2-3 years at an elite level. Beyond that who knows. How old is that Mundy bloke again? He's pretty good.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Life's complicated at the best of times. His wife made some serious personal and professional sacrifices to support his move over here. Then a pandemic hits.

Not too hard to find an empathetic perspective here. Most Brisbane fans seem to be taking it fairly pragmatically.

The player movement market has changed rapidly in the last 10 years. People need to get used to this stuff.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
The contract terms will be up to Freo but you could expect at least 2-3 years at an elite level. Beyond that who knows. How old is that Mundy bloke again? He's pretty good.

Mundy is 193cm and not an in and under player. Also, Mundy has at least 10-15 years left.

How dare you compare any player to Mundy. He is ageless, priceless and a god dammed national treasure.

Was absolutely robbed of this year's rising Star award by that toothless Melbourne bloke.

freo99

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah you are….
CerrAmos going to be amazing and I’m gutted to be losing him…
Most of us are, but he has done it the right way
Didn’t want to come over but stayed another 2 years

He has character

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU

so given where Freo’s list is no way should we give a first this year in particular for Neale…he could be Mundy

more likely he’s Stephen hill and close to finished at 30

freo99

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not many Mundys running around
Neale has taken a hammering these last few years

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
yeah covid hadn’t hit, his Wa born wife wasn’t pregnant.
life changes

I’m old fashioned on a lot of things, sometimes you need to toughen up. Covid has shown me that a lot of AFL players are not good at sucking it up.

Sign a contract, honour the contract. All teams have massive support networks to back up families.

Geez it’s not as if he’s being sent off to a war zone.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am for Brisbane and the possibilities this could open up for a prolonged period of success over the next five-plus years.

Yes, losing Neale is likely a net negative for next year (ignoring any other FA moves that may result from the free salary space), but acquiring the draft capital to pick up elite juniors to develop over the next year or two and be able to have them up and running and ready to take the baton from Zorko, Rich and Lyons is a tremendous gift.

Truly think this ends up a situation where Brisbane fans hate it now, but ultimately look back fondly in a few years on how it works out.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am for Brisbane and the possibilities this could open up for a prolonged period of success over the next five-plus years.

Yes, losing Neale is likely a net negative for next year (ignoring any other FA moves that may result from the free salary space), but acquiring the draft capital to pick up elite juniors to develop over the next year or two and be able to then have them up and running and ready to take the baton from Zorko, Rich and Lyons is a tremendous gift.

Truly think this ends up a situation where Brisbane fans hate it now, but ultimately look back fondly in a few years on how it works out.

We've been numbed by the Beams fiasco for a while now, if Neale did come out and request a return home we'd accept it and get on with it. Hope we draft kids like Walsh or that bloke who flogged us last night.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Yes, losing Neale is likely a net negative for next year (ignoring any other FA moves that may result from the free salary space), but acquiring the draft capital to pick up elite juniors to develop over the next year or two and be able to then have them up and running and ready to take the baton from Zorko, Rich and Lyons is a tremendous gift.

The issue is they are contenders right now going off their finishes the last few years. Losing Neale sets them back in the short term.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Would either Freo or West Coast want him, even at a discount?

Bit of an awkward situation all round. Brisbane are in their flag window and won’t want to lose him, despite functioning fine when he’s not in the team.

Would Pick 6 and change for Neale and Brisbane’s first be way off the mark? I really don’t think Freo should bother otherwise.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I know this kind of statement is made in every trade thread but literally think might be a "this is our best offer or we walk away" deal. It will involve a top 10 pick but if the Lions want what they think is full value then we'll have to walk away given our list profile and the WA talent in this draft.

Back