News Lachie Neale to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably should wait till the combine results but just by visual eye and qualitative nonsense broken down into the components that make up "explosiveness":

Agility:
Lukosius - good
Rankine - very good to elite
Rozee - good

Burst speed:
Lukosius - okay - good
Rankine - good
Rozee - good to very good

Leap:
Lukosius - good - very good
Rankine - good
Rozee - very good

Speed of decision making:
Lukosius - good
Rankine - very good - elite
Rozee - very good

Ysaye and Chris25 and other draft watchers as a matter of interest who would you pick with 4(5) & 5(6) if GC pick up Lukosius and Rozee as has been reported in the media and if Rankine is picked up by the Saints?

Ysaye and Chris25 and other draft watchers as a matter of interest who would you pick with 4(5) & 5(6) if GC pick up Lukosius and Rozee as has been reported in the media and if Rankine is picked up by the Saints?

Bailey Smith and Ben King

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Rozee, Rankine, JL, will all be gone. But I would be ecstatic out of Smith, Hately, B King. Lobb if he is a target then
I think that discards the Kings, too unbalanced with talls.
Hately doesn't absolutely stand out, but is super consistent, tackling machine, not a true inside mid type, but Mundy like and gets on the scoreboard.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, I think there might be a slight chance for Jye Caldwell to slip to pick 22.

Leaving us with 2 really strong mids and a tall forward. If we can somehow get a couple of mid table and later picks for O'Reilly, a goal kicking mid sized forward in Luke Moore, and a couple of later picks for Medhat and Carter we have pretty much ticked a lot of boxes.

1 x Key forward (King) who is versatile to go back if required - tick
1 x key forward (O'Reilly) who is a long and accurate kick with really strong hands and good leading patterns - tick
2 x powerful mids (Caldwell & Smith) to complement our current youngsters in Cerra & Brayshaw - tick
1 x mid sized forward (Moore) who has really strong hands and very good football brain, almost a Paul Medhurst clone - tick
1 x tall midfielder (Medhat) who is a solid mark and can go forward and kick goals - tick
1 x running defender (Carter) who has the pace to break lines from half back or the wing - tick.

If we get this or variations (Clarke, Stocker, Hately) of this I'd be stoked.

Edit: Sorry probably should be in the Draft/Talent thread.

Any actual news on this, or are we all still “rinsing” our balls hoping for a boner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of moving parts.

Two ideas would be:

1. Get a pair of kings

2. Get Smith and trade pick 6 and eg Pick 11 and Cats 2019 first round pick. Then use pick 11 on I Hill, Hately, Caldwell, or Duursma.

De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood - in

Out Beams

Something similar please

I've been off him this year but now that I think about it Jack Martin could definitely play that role people on here are talking about. He's a good size with pace, can play forward-mid (can also go down back), has a good contested game (body-work and marking) and can play tall. The problem is he could use a few more KGs and his explosive attack has been less sighted compared to JDG already.

Assuming Walsh, Lukosius, Rozee, Rankine are gone and we have those picks from a Neale trade, then my personal plan would be:

BID on Nick Blakey
IF (Pick 5 = Blakey)
THEN (Pick 6 - Smith and END)
ELSE Pick 5 = Bailey Smith
BID on Tarryn Thomas
IF Pick 6 = Tarryn Thomas
THEN END
ELSE Pick 6 (Try Trade Pick 6 for 12 and 44 to GWS*)
IF (Trade accepted)
THEN look to pick Pick 12 with intent for Jordan Clark or Ian Hill and a later pick (Pick 44)
ELSE Pick 6 = Ben King

* or similar kind of trade to a club that is interested and has those kinds of picks like Hawthorn or Geelong - someone is going to tell me it isn't equivalent points or something but I don't care, do some more swapping with the residual from the presumed Lachie Neale trade.

General Reasoning:
  • I have no qualms about picking up Vic players or from anywhere else, but from an overall list exposure perspective IMO you want to have a reasonable balance of actually decent WA players, and Jordan Clark fits a lot of boxes to the way we want to play and what we need to play in that way. Additionally Tom Joyce and Ian Hill are not bad players as other options sitting in the 10 - 30 category. Of course you could just take Jordan Clark with Pick 6 but I don't think anyone else will want him that early, so why not buy some extra leverage? It also opens up the possibility to pick up an O'Reilly type later.
  • Not a big fan of the Kings and don't hold the weight for me as others but would probably take the uninjured one at Pick 6 if forced to pick there. I think they are both best up forward but both suffer from inaccuracy in front of goal - we already have a player in Cox that is more mobile and can take lots of marks. I think our current list management is to take more tall players in the hope that we get lucky, and reduce the risk of making a mistake early. The next best midfielder is probably Hately and he would be an option but again you are perhaps not taking the full value of the pick if you do.
  • Tarryn Thomas has all the tools to be an absolute beast of the competition, despite the fall off a bit in the U18 Nationals and the rumours of having bad influences I would have not hesitation looking at him at pick 6. Essentially would be looking for him to be a hybrid forward; he has the height to play tall but also the agility and speed to play as a crumbing forward, or can go into the midfield and bulldoze people.

Assuming Walsh, Lukosius, Rozee, Rankine are gone and we have those picks from a Neale trade, then my personal plan would be:

BID on Nick Blakey
IF (Pick 5 = Blakey)
THEN (Pick 6 - Smith and END)
ELSE Pick 5 = Bailey Smith
BID on Tarryn Thomas
IF Pick 6 = Tarryn Thomas
THEN END
ELSE Pick 6 (Try Trade Pick 6 for 12 and 44 to GWS*)
IF (Trade accepted)
THEN look to pick Pick 12 with intent for Jordan Clark or Ian Hill and a later pick (Pick 44)
ELSE Pick 6 = Ben King

* or similar kind of trade to a club that is interested and has those kinds of picks like Hawthorn or Geelong - someone is going to tell me it isn't equivalent points or something but I don't care, do some more swapping with the residual from the presumed Lachie Neale trade.

General Reasoning:
  • I have no qualms about picking up Vic players or from anywhere else, but from an overall list exposure perspective IMO you want to have a reasonable balance of actually decent WA players, and Jordan Clark fits a lot of boxes to the way we want to play and what we need to play in that way. Additionally Tom Joyce and Ian Hill are not bad players as other options sitting in the 10 - 30 category. Of course you could just take Jordan Clark with Pick 6 but I don't think anyone else will want him that early, so why not buy some extra leverage? It also opens up the possibility to pick up an O'Reilly type later.
  • Not a big fan of the Kings and don't hold the weight for me as others but would probably take the uninjured one at Pick 6 if forced to pick there. I think they are both best up forward but both suffer from inaccuracy in front of goal - we already have a player in Cox that is more mobile and can take lots of marks. I think our current list management is to take more tall players in the hope that we get lucky, and reduce the risk of making a mistake early. The next best midfielder is probably Hately and he would be an option but again you are perhaps not taking the full value of the pick if you do.
  • Tarryn Thomas has all the tools to be an absolute beast of the competition, despite the fall off a bit in the U18 Nationals and the rumours of having bad influences I would have not hesitation looking at him at pick 6. Essentially would be looking for him to be a hybrid forward; he has the height to play tall but also the agility and speed to play as a crumbing forward, or can go into the midfield and bulldoze people.
Great plan, and really like both Blakey and Thomas.

Wouldn't it be better to try and get a trade with either Sydney (Blakely) or North (Thomas) before bidding? I would have thought either or both clubs would be happy to get in early and pay for their Academy picks with later picks. I am thinking North's 10 and next years first round for our pick 5. It could advantage both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back