News Lachie Neale to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We traded down 4 spots to get McCarthy, Logue, Darcy and Ryan.

Darcy and Ryan are worth Taranto or McLuggage.

McCarthy and Logue were suppose to be the value.

Funny how it worked out, but I still maintain that was one of the best trades the club has ever done.

I’d trade 5 down again to get Ian Hill. Could end up being one of the worst backfires of all time if someone takes Hill before us.

That's fine. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. Which player would I prefer now that I'm confident is going to be a very good player? Taranto.

No one outside of Freo fans would dispute this for a second.

I still stand by us taking top 5 picks to the draft and taking best available instead of getting guys like Lobb.
I also am all for taking too 5 picks to the draft. Trading that would be lunacy. Just saying I think Logue will be a gun as well.

That's all fine.

So we fluked some late picks and saved the trade.

I'm still not a fan of the strategy.

Neither am I, but if we’re wanting a Rankine or Ian Hill type, then downgrading has merit.

Rankine unlikely to be there at 5 plus has much publicised want to remain in SA issues. Ian Hill has fallen badly in most people’s views.

Pick 12 would surely see us get him there.

Obviously if we really like Smith, Rozee or a King we can keep pick 5 knowing we’ll nail one of them.

Could always offer a future 1st for Lobb and get our pick 23 back.

The only news is Lochie's best buddy has requested to be traded to Bris.

Nothing else is confirmed.

Thought Alex Forster was Lachie's best mate from childhood. That bloke from Geelong is someone that he knew from his junior footy days and has kept in touch with since they were both drafted in the same year. I'd suggest it will be interesting to see if this 'best mate' is best man at his wedding in November.

Last edited:
So Darcy and Ryan were guaranteed available to Freo?

That was a bit of luck. Your sarcasm emoji doesn't help your argument

Bit of luck? Righto.

Let's denigrate the whole trade because Logue hasn't outperformed Hugh McCluggage after 2 years, including a whole year where he was out injured.

And let's not look at the sum of all the parts, no! Let's put picking guys like Ryan and Darcy down to luck.

Logue is a 193cm backman, how many of those come in with immediate effect?

Bit of luck? Righto.

Let's denigrate the whole trade because Logue hasn't outperformed Hugh McCluggage after 2 years, including a whole year where he was out injured.

And let's not look at the sum of all the parts, no! Let's put picking guys like Ryan and Darcy down to luck.

Logue is a 193cm backman, how many of those come in with immediate effect?

Like I have previously posted I haven't written off Logue

I would have preferred McCluggage or Toranto as I think they will be better than Logue

In isolation sure you can hold that view, but to look at it as McCluggage V Logue is simplistic and short sighted.

Bringing in 1 player doesn't build a premiership list.

Some are still saying that we messed up picking Brayshaw over LDU. They may be proven right in the long term, careers are longer than 2 years.

McLuggage is not showing me he's going to reach a level where made an error in turning 3 into multiple picks. Same thing for all of the players in our range at that pick.
Two B+ players is going to help you more in your flag quest than one A minus one.

Plus we simply don't know how good Logue is going to be. He has sometimes shown things you wouldn't be comfortable with: bit fumbly, decision making under pressure etc.
At the same time he showed elite speed and agility and a Rance like ability to get to defensive contests he had no right to and create contests that wouldn't otherwise have occurred with his speed and desperation. Nice raking boot too.

McLuggage is not showing me he's going to reach a level where made an error in turning 3 into multiple picks. Same thing for all of the players in our range at that pick.
Two B+ players is going to help you more in your flag quest than one A minus one.

Plus we simply don't know how good Logue is going to be. He has sometimes shown things you wouldn't be comfortable with: bit fumbly, decision making under pressure etc.
At the same time he showed elite speed and agility and a Rance like ability to get to defensive contests he had no right to and create contests that wouldn't otherwise have occurred with his speed and desperation. Nice raking boot too.

Hoping Logue can become a decent player, but he didn’t seem to have a football brain. Not writing him off, but wouldn’t be putting a cent on him becoming what you’d hope from a number 7 selection.

Really disappointed he couldn’t get another 15 or so games into him this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt but do we rate Hill??

How confident are we of retaining the pick 5.

How far apart is the pick 5 from Ian Hill?

Before the champs most were wanting Ian Hill with our first, which was around 7 at the time.

We then do get Lobb.
Is Hill actually going to dominate at AFL as a small forward? I understand we lack pure speed forward, but we had the
chance to take Rioli, and plenty wanted him in Freo colours.
Small forwards like Rioli, Ryan, even Kelly at Geelong, dominate the minor leagues, even right under our noses.
At worst they are average in AFL, but the general body of work is there to judge and against men.

You musn’t have watched many Brisbane games this year. Clugg is going to be an elite midfielder in a couple of years. He controlled a few games this year and you don’t see many 20 yr olds do that. I would take him number 1 if the 2016 draft was to be done over again right now.

Is Hill actually going to dominate at AFL as a small forward? I understand we lack pure speed forward, but we had the
chance to take Rioli, and plenty wanted him in Freo colours.
Small forwards like Rioli, Ryan, even Kelly at Geelong, dominate the minor leagues, even right under our noses.
At worst they are average in AFL, but the general body of work is there to judge and against men.

Well who knows if he’ll dominate, but skill and talent doesn’t go away. He may need a couple of years to mature, but imagine him with ball instead of Banfield, Giro, Crowden, Gray and many others.

He’s an impact player. He presumably would love to play at Freo. He is a sublime talent that’s slid this year.

We need someone with 10-15 meaningful touches as opposed to someone who racks them up without hurt factor.

He may not fit that bill but his highlights do scream out elite.

Have you even watched McCluggage play? Averaged 20 touches a game in his second season. 70% efficiency and 330 meters gained a game. There's plenty to work with there, kids a gun.

You musn’t have watched many Brisbane games this year. Clugg is going to be an elite midfielder in a couple of years. He controlled a few games this year and you don’t see many 20 yr olds do that. I would take him number 1 if the 2016 draft was to be done over again right now.

The games I watched I liked of his

I was over there towards the end of season and my uncle said he was impressed with him too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back