Rumour Lachie Neale to request trade back to WA

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
We won't be giving 2 first rounders.

Maybe 1, but definitely not two so we can stop talking 2 first rounders as we have our eye on top 10 talent.

Brisbane might want Lobb who can be a target and give ruck support. Maybe Lobb and a 2nd. Freo pays a bit of Lobbs salary as he's on 700ish.

Funny, Lobb and a 2nd. No one would be giving up more than a 4th rd pick for Lobb. So you’re basically saying last years Brownlow medallist is only worth a 2nd and a 4th rd pick.

You probably also think Cerra is worth more than pick 6.

Try 6 and 8 for Neale and 18 and you’ll be closer

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Funny, Lobb and a 2nd. No one would be giving up more than a 4th rd pick for Lobb. So you’re basically saying last years Brownlow medallist is only worth a 2nd and a 4th rd pick.

You probably also think Cerra is worth more than pick 6.

Try 6 and 8 for Neale and 18 and you’ll be closer

Won't be trading 2 first rounders. Lachie wants to come to us, he knocked on our door. Does Brisbane want to keep a disgruntled player who could potentially take numerous leave throughout the season for family reasons?

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Freo don't want him for whatever reason, WC could be the big winners and might get him on the cheap if he's adamant he wants to go to Perth.
WC won't be players here without first trading out one of their own. Not sure it would send the right message when they are supposed to also be hitting the draft this year. The Tim Kelly trade hasn't worked out as planned so there is next to no chance he is at WC next year, its Freo or Brisbane.

I also don't subscribe to the fact he is worth more now because he is a better player. Plenty before him have hit a cliff at 30, whether it be from injuries or form. There's not a chance hes worth more at 28 than he was at 25.

PorcelainBus

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Freo, swan districts
Freo have the chance to send themselves toward a premiership window this year through astute draft picks (possibly 2 firsts and 2 seconds due to Cerra trade). However, out of the blue the Lachie Neale returning to WA rumors are starting to circulate and people are jumping on board. I would hope that the Club are stronger than the "feel good" factor of Neale returning for a huge cost. Will Neale (with 3 years left - he's 29 early next year) take Freo to a premiership? I doubt it (he's an inside mid and Freo can recruit good forwards/outside/inside mids this year if they stay strong) Freo need an entirely different profile of players than that which Neale brings. I hope they don't give up the house for an aging inside mid who won't get them to the premiership in the next couple of years :( A finals appearance or 2 in the next couple of years (maybe) with Neale is the thinking of teams that are desperate rather than switched on and planning a considered run at being amongst the elite teams :( Maybe 2 kids (a forward and a mid? with the potential for 200+ games each) for an injured 29yo inside mid??????

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I also don't subscribe to the fact he is worth more now because he is a better player. Plenty before him have hit a cliff at 30, whether it be from injuries or form. There's not a chance hes worth more at 28 than he was at 25.
Disagree. He is in career best form. If he was going on the open market, he would fetch more now than he did 3 years ago. Plus he's had very few injuries, so there's no reason to expect he will "hit a cliff at 30".

Ablett and Judd still played at elite levels after they hit 30, and after they had changed clubs.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Stuff him

You can't just bounce around from club to club willy nilly because you're a little home sick. This isn't NBA 2K where you play for the Chicaco Bulls one day and then decide to trade yourself to the Golden State Warriors the next!
More twist and turns isnt it?

More swerves than a Vince Russo booked WCW nitro or thunder in 2000 mate lol

Never underestimate the power of the missus.
Ah Byron Clanger you are correct.

how are you mate? Long time no see.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Big risk for Freo. Late 20s and prone to injury. Brisbane will also want overs for a contracted player of his calibre.

Good player, but by the time they are properly contending both Lachie and Fyfe will be at the tail ends of their careers. Could pay off with a flag, could send them back into mediocrity for another 5+ years.
I am willing to take that risk.

Freo took risks in 2010-15. Got finals in 5 out of 6 years. Now..... have not played finals in that 2016-2021 period.

I am keen to take the risk. Sick and tired of freo losing guys like Langdon, Hill and Weller every 2nd season. Neale is quality.

Freo finished 11th with 10 wins. A guy like neale can get us to finals again.

Mundy, Neale, Fyfe, Brayshaw and serong in the middle. Talent wise is good enough to play finals. Theres 2 brownlow medalists out of those 5 blokes.

I dont care if freo plays elim finals in 2022 and 2023 and gets an elim final win or 2 before we drop. I am desperate for freos young players to play and win finals.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yes, but what's the point of signing any contract and then reneging on it when things get a bit difficult, or it doesn't suit? And apparently the first 3 years of his contract were heavily front loaded. Very self serving from Neale if he goes ahead with this.
Hahahahahahahaha.

Remember the Chris Tarrant trade?

Paul Medhurst and pick 8 for Chris Tarrant.

Chris tarrant played 4 years at freo. We only got back what? a pick in the 40s?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
WC won't be players here without first trading out one of their own. Not sure it would send the right message when they are supposed to also be hitting the draft this year. The Tim Kelly trade hasn't worked out as planned so there is next to no chance he is at WC next year, its Freo or Brisbane.

We would have to swap someone like Gaff or Darling to get it done. Unlikely.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Disagree. He is in career best form. If he was going on the open market, he would fetch more now than he did 3 years ago. Plus he's had very few injuries, so there's no reason to expect he will "hit a cliff at 30".

Ablett and Judd still played at elite levels after they hit 30, and after they had changed clubs.
12 months ago Neale was the brownlow medallist agreed, but he has now had an injury interrupted year so wouldn't say he is in career best form. He is another year older and freo haven't exactly head-hunted him promising him the world. I think if they ask for too much we say thanks but no thanks, they won't be getting 2 x top 10 picks for him thats for sure. Happy to hit the draft and try again next year (if he is still interested and will be cheaper).

Braidz

All Australian
Sep 9, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If true, it’s a pissweak excuse for Neale to request a trade back to Freo. Surely when you sign a 5 year contract you weigh up the probability of starting a family during the term of the contract and where you will be living. If you have any doubts you don’t enter into the contract. If I was Brisbane and their supporters I would be livid. Really poor from Neale. Living in Brisbane until the child is 2 when his contract finishes is hardly too onerous.
When he left WA there was travel between states. Parents could come to Brisbane and get home without any worry of being locked out or having to isolate. Stupid comment

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Age is a big factor in worth
Tom Boyd went for pick 6 and the dogs captain
Jeremy Cameron who is 10x the fwd went for less.
It’s why hodge Lewis Mitchell all went for a packet of chips.
Neale is a gun still but unless your window is the next couple years his not worth it.
He can move back to SA my port mates said they’ll give 2 first for him because they’re in the window.
He’s worthless to us because as we’ve proven you can have all the Brownlow medalists rising stars future captains and club legends in the midfield but without a fwd line your still s**t!

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
We won't be giving 2 first rounders.

Maybe 1, but definitely not two so we can stop talking 2 first rounders as we have our eye on top 10 talent.

Brisbane might want Lobb who can be a target and give ruck support. Maybe Lobb and a 2nd. Freo pays a bit of Lobbs salary as he's on 700ish.

You certainly will be giving 2 first rounders.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm particularly interested in the front-loading of Neale's contract. The same thing happened when Carlton traded Gibbs to the Crows.

The player has an inflated pay packet in the first couple of years and then cuts & runs when the annual rate drops only to get the inflated rate at the new club..

Surely this is an area that needs further discussion and the possibility of a "payback" rule being introduced.

Back