Rumour Lachie Neale to request trade back to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

You could argue that he would replace a player traded away both in role and salary, leaving his new team with extra draft picks and not much performance drop.

I'd be happy to see Neale land at West Coast on a big money and big trade price.

We don't have any picks to trade. We can't trade our first, and our two seconds will be something like 30 and 40. Zero to get excited about there as a Lions fan.

We also don't have any cap space. We could do an NBA style trade of a player with a comparable salary but the options are limited.

Won't be trading 2 first rounders. Lachie wants to come to us, he knocked on our door. Does Brisbane want to keep a disgruntled player who could potentially take numerous leave throughout the season for family reasons?

On that logic you should only get a 3rd rd pick for Cerra because he knocked on a Carlton a door and doesn’t want to be at Freo.

Was interesting listening to RTB on Footy Classified last night - he sounded fair.

What happened to us three years ago was pretty poor, but I do feel sorry for the Neales if this is just a family weighing up its options, with others jumping the gun.

Last edited:
This is giving me real Beams vibes.

Except Neale doesn't seem like an absolute bell end of a bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL what a load of crap.
He says he's staying. Why not figure that out before you make an absolute fool of yourself?
He only says it now because he got a well-deserved flogging from the media.

Tip to Freo if he does another back-flip: I wouldn't go offering him a front-ended contract.
From his interview on lions.com.au:

"...after sitting down and talking through it with our family and our friends and with the club and without my management team it became pretty clear after a couple of days that this where the best place us for is to be is Brisbane."

Read between the lines. There's where the leak started.

From his interview on lions.com.au:

"...after sitting down and talking through it with our family and our friends and with the club and without my management team it became pretty clear after a couple of days that this where the best place us for is to be is Brisbane."

Read between the lines. There's where the leak started.

There are a lot of ways to read that if you read it all and not just he bolded bit.
There was obviously internal pressure to go home, given the family situation and all of this "sitting down and talking".
It's easy to use them as a scapegoat after you've gone into damage control, and they wouldn't care what is said about them, as long as it can shake more $$ loose for them.

Brisbane told Lachie he’s not going anywhere as he had a 5 year front ended contract that he is bonded to.

Lachie also realised Freo weren’t going to throw big dollars or sell the farm in draft picks to get him back. Probably moreso the financial aspect at play here.

So Lachie then “decides” he is going to stay in Brisbane.

Blokes a dick head

Maybe he genuinely wanted to wait until the season was done before sitting down and properly talking through the mechanics of staying v going with family, friends and the football club? After doing that, and having his current employer tell him they wouldn't be rolling over, it made the decision more straightforward.

Sounds like Neale was thinking about moving but hadn't made a decision, and then his management and the media got together to cause a shitstorm. I'd be pissed off if I was Neale.

you’d also sack them, so let’s see if that happens

Good news for the Dockers if true. On their list of needs I'm sure acquiring Lachie Neale or a Lachie Neale type would be dead last.

This is giving me real Beams vibes.

Except Neale doesn't seem like an absolute bell end of a bloke.

First thing that came to mind when I read about this today.

The whole thing doesn't pass the sniff test. It was reported Neale was considering a return to Perth, then Brisbane responded with a statement saying he needs time for discussions with family, now 4 days later from the original report Neale responds.

IMO there is no way this "story" leaks without Neale and Freo being in contact. Can't help but think Brisbane put their foot down and said they would hold him to his contract unless they got a great deal (like say Freo's two top 10 picks assuming the Cerra trade goes through as mooted) and Freo balked. Doubt salary was a factor from Freo's end given they have a young list and until recently would've had money set aside for Cerra.

IMO there is no way this "story" leaks without Neale and Freo being in contact. Can't help but think Brisbane put their foot down and said they would hold him to his contract unless they got a great deal (like say Freo's two top 10 picks assuming the Cerra trade goes through as mooted) and Freo balked. Doubt salary was a factor from Freo's end given they have a young list and until recently would've had money set aside for Cerra.

I think the without my management line in his interview says a lot.

also, given it was Ryan Daniels who broke it, certainly makes a freo leak more likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back