• Pick 8 and 27 with 18 coming back

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • pick 8 with 18 coming back

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • 2nd round pick

Votes: 53 32.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm taking this chance to encourage everyone to vote in the two threads that are more important than spitballing about Neale

If you havent already please vote for the Board MVP and Post Of The year

Board MVP:

Post of the Year

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
From lions board again
Screenshot_20210910-075431.jpg

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't think so. 6 years continuous service for RFA and in the top 25% of earners at the club.

URFA is 8 years.
No FA for Neale.

Brisbane was going ask for more assets that we wanted to pay.

Next year he is a year older, only one year left on his contract.

Two years he is uncontracted and will be 31. Our team would have improved and maybe then Neale gets a 2 year contract to get us over the top without giving up the farm.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
I want them drop out of top 4 next season by hearing the way they are talking about us

All teams have them, it’s no surprise some of the comments. No need to hate the whole fan base.

Thinking that he will stay long term is not good for their health. This will be his last contract baring a miracle. Still a 10% chance he changes his mind during trade week, 50% chance it happens next year. 95% chance he’s back in 2 years. If he sees out his contract, Brisbane won’t stand in his way or ask for much. WC won’t go near him with their age profile or fan backlash.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I want them drop out of top 4 next season by hearing the way they are talking about us

Don’t worry about them. Their club is much more prone to a mass exodus of players than ours. It’s happened before and once they drop back in the pack it will happen again.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dickheads from all sides are like bees to a honey pot when a high value trade is in the wind.

Getting upset that we didn't want their Brownlow medallist is absolute prime saltiness. It makes no sense. You should be celebrating you got to keep your man and mocking the other team for not being able to lure him.

By being salty about keeping a player you are declaring yourself the loser.

Last edited:
Dickheads from all sides are like bees to a honey pot when a high value trade is in the wind.

Getting upset that we didn't want their Brownlow medallist is absolute prime saltiness. It makes no sense. You should be celebrating you got to keep your man and mocking the other team for not being able to lure him. By being salty about keeping a player you are declaring yourself the loser.
It’s made even weirder by stories they made up about us trying to poach him and then started sniping Freo supporters who wanted nothing more than for him to stay in Brisbane.

I think they are/were still dealing with the weekends game and keeping him gave them a win they needed to ‘vent’ about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
We really dont know what went down. Hope we were professional and upfront with him.It will get around if we mucked him around.

I'm guessing it went something like this -

LN - Hi Belly, the Mrs wants to come back to WA. Is there a spot for me?
PB - Definitely! You're not worth what we traded for you since you're almost 29 though, I'm thinking a pick in the early teens and $600,000 a year.
LN - That seems about right, I'll speak to my manager and the Lions.

Then Wally Whately and Co started spruiking 6 and 8 for Neale and 16 and they knew the deal wouldn't get done so Lachie puts on a brave face and says he's staying.

Don’t worry about them. Their club is much more prone to a mass exodus of players than ours. It’s happened before and once they drop back in the pack it will happen again.
yeah they’ll all disappear when their list falls apart again and they hire more great coaches like Leppa and crazy vossy

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't think so. 6 years continuous service for RFA and in the top 25% of earners at the club.

URFA is 8 years.

It is actually 8 years for RFA and 10 years for UFA. That's why the players from the 2013 draft have been the big name free agent prospects, Merrett, Cripps, Bont, Billings, etc

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely if you were a Brisbane supporter you should be just trying to move on from this topic as quick as possible ... sweep it under the rug so to speak.

If Brisbane Lions was such a great club and a blissful place to play football, the Neale rumours would have never got off the ground.
BL supporters now have a situation where one of their guns has most likely extorted more benefits, support, promises out of the club by threatening to leave ... that's not really something to celebrate in my eyes.
And it also sends a loud message to Freo fans as to why Neale left Freo to start with ... for him. He went to a place where he was earning more money and now that he has seen the best years of that rewarding contract he has put feelers out to see what he can command back at Freo.
I like Neale, but I'm not blind to the fact that he is looking after himself and always has done (and good on him, he's got every right to do that).

I was also a fan of Neale coming back to Freo, but I'm not at all disappointed given we have lost absolutely nothing with him staying at BL and there was always going to be a risk that he returned and then failed to produce due to his age (Freo have a tendancy to have these trades work against them).
And I now suspect that Brisbane were never going to let Neale go for anything less than a high 1st rounder, so a deal was not going to happen.
(But then what do I know, only a couple of days ago I said a deal had been done and this was theatre, only to be proven 100% wrong within 12 hours).

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Sounds like there was legitimate interest from Neale to return home, Freo said they would entertain it, Brisbane got wind but obviously given situation they were expecting a mountain of picks back (which is fair enough). However, in truly uncharacteristic fashion, Freo did not want to sell the farm and advised Neale same.

Next minute, Neale out in the media with his “I love lions” crap. This little prick is a conniving a-hole.
Yep. Hey may also have been expecting a 6 year deal.

Surely if you were a Brisbane supporter you should be just trying to move on from this topic as quick as possible ... sweep it under the rug so to speak.

If Brisbane Lions was such a great club and a blissful place to play football, the Neale rumours would have never got off the ground.
BL supporters now have a situation where one of their guns has most likely extorted more benefits, support, promises out of the club by threatening to leave ... that's not really something to celebrate in my eyes.
And it also sends a loud message to Freo fans as to why Neale left Freo to start with ... for him. He went to a place where he was earning more money and now that he has seen the best years of that rewarding contract he has put feelers out to see what he can command back at Freo.
I like Neale, but I'm not blind to the fact that he is looking after himself and always has done (and good on him, he's got every right to do that).

I was also a fan of Neale coming back to Freo, but I'm not at all disappointed given we have lost absolutely nothing with him staying at BL and there was always going to be a risk that he returned and then failed to produce due to his age (Freo have a tendancy to have these trades work against them).
And I now suspect that Brisbane were never going to let Neale go for anything less than a high 1st rounder, so a deal was not going to happen.
(But then what do I know, only a couple of days ago I said a deal had been done and this was theatre, only to be proven 100% wrong within 12 hours).
I think its far easier to cope with by
A) Making Freo the villain for trying to poach poor unsuspecting Lachie
B) Convincing themselve that big mean Freo leaked it to the press to push Lachie into a decision
C) Lachie would never to do them what he did to big mean Freo because their culture is unprecedented
D) Brisbane is the best place to raise a family and Lachie moved their so they could raise their family

If I had to pick which one was the biggest delusion, it would probably be A but they are all pretty good.

This coping strategy also makes it far easier to deal with the weekends game and the fact, as evidenced by their board, at least some part of them thought it was a good idea to refresh the list a little bit

Back