Toast Lachie Neale

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie has carried our team all season. Fantastic effort and leadership from him. Would love for him to kick more goals next season but I suppose it's hard to kick goals when you're at the coalface and underneath a pack of players with limited support. Should win his first Doig this year.

Lachie has carried our team all season. Fantastic effort and leadership from him. Would love for him to kick more goals next season but I suppose it's hard to kick goals when you're at the coalface and underneath a pack of players with limited support. Should win his first Doig this year.

Yeah if you compared his effort and leadership to someone else who should be doing it and you see why the captaincy should change

To the contrary I'd be feeling blessed. Only thing worse in life would be to seek a trade up the road....
Think he was referring to being shafted by Jonathan Brown as per the conversation earlier.

I think Jono is just in a bad mood because his old club is imploding. He's normally pretty supportive of Freo.

Jono commentated a couple of games this year and Lachie butchered the ball a bit when we were getting pumped. I think the Collingwood game was one of them.

It wasn't something that was true of Neale for the whole season obviously but it was true for the couple of games that Brown was commentating.

Agree with all of this. And he is resilient as well.

Players who rise during adversity are gold. Lachie is now an elite midfielder and will find the going easier next season with a bit of extra muscle and class to help him out in the middle. His disposal efficiency was outstanding compared to his peers at other clubs who are seen as the best of the best.

I think he had a bad patch disposal wise when he was carrying a bit of a calf injury earlier in the season. I think we saw on Sunday what he is capable of with the goal he kicked and the chip to Sonny from the pocket to the goal square. He is one of our better set shot goal kickers I think.

Jono commentated a couple of games this year and Lachie butchered the ball a bit when we were getting pumped. I think the Collingwood game was one of them.

It wasn't something that was true of Neale for the whole season obviously but it was true for the couple of games that Brown was commentating.

Yep, I recall earlier in the season he was getting plenty of the football but was responsible for a few turnovers. I heard many in the media and on the forums start to label him as a poor ball user. But as you say, it was more to do with the immense pressure he found himself under with virtually no other midfield support ... that together with indecision from new coaching game plans being tried. You only need to look at Stephen Hill and Michael Walters' clangers for the season. Ridiculously high for such skilled players.

Unfortunately, once a particular story, right or wrong, gets in the public domain, perception becomes reality for far too many. With closer inspection, you realise that given Neale's number of disposals, his clangers (80) were not that unreasonable (actually 1 less than Dangerfield 81).

I think he had a bad patch disposal wise when he was carrying a bit of a calf injury earlier in the season. I think we saw on Sunday what he is capable of with the goal he kicked and the chip to Sonny from the pocket to the goal square. He is one of our better set shot goal kickers I think.
After watching the replay I actually hope the next thing he works on is his impact on the scoreboard. If he can rack up 30+ disposals with a similar DE% to this year, and start hitting the scoreboard regularly he'll be clear AA imo. He's got the tools but Freo need to give him a licence to do so.

When you step back and take a look he was amazing this year. Although Mundy was playing, it is pretty clear he wasn't well prepared this season and was struggling all year. I'd back him to get back to closer to his 2015 form and take some pressure off our younger mids. Neale pretty much carried our midfield single handedly. Get back Fyfe, a fit Mundy, and x-factor Bennell and Neale might not be tagged as often and therefore let off the chain. Assuming that happens, we need him to become more damaging in 2017.

Lachie Neale still not good enough to get named in Matthew Lloyd's AA Team;

B: Jeremy McGovern (WC), Alex Rance (RI), Heath Shaw (GW)
HB: Corey Enright (GE), Robbie Tarrant (NM), Dane Rampe (SY)
C: Dan Hannebery (SY), Luke Parker (SY), Andrew Gaff (WC)
HF: Cyril Rioli (HA), Lance Franklin (SY), Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
F: Eddie Betts (AD), Josh Kennedy (WC), Tom Lynch (GC)

Foll: Max Gawn (ME), Patrick Dangerfield (GE), Sam Mitchell (HA)
I/C: Dustin Martin (RI), Josh Kennedy (SY), Luke Shuey (WC), Rory Sloane (AD)

Lachie Neale still not good enough to get named in Matthew Lloyd's AA Team;

B: Jeremy McGovern (WC), Alex Rance (RI), Heath Shaw (GW)
HB: Corey Enright (GE), Robbie Tarrant (NM), Dane Rampe (SY)
C: Dan Hannebery (SY), Luke Parker (SY), Andrew Gaff (WC)
HF: Cyril Rioli (HA), Lance Franklin (SY), Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
F: Eddie Betts (AD), Josh Kennedy (WC), Tom Lynch (GC)

Foll: Max Gawn (ME), Patrick Dangerfield (GE), Sam Mitchell (HA)
I/C: Dustin Martin (RI), Josh Kennedy (SY), Luke Shuey (WC), Rory Sloane (AD)
He was literally in it the whole season from round 1 and kicked out on the last day before we even played (Lloyds team is a rolling AA team from week to week)
After breaking the record and another game high 36 disposals he would have slotted straight back in

He was literally in it the whole season from round 1 and kicked out on the last day before we even played (Lloyds team is a rolling AA team from week to week)
After breaking the record and another game high 36 disposals he would have slotted straight back in

So is that team Lloyd's final AA Team or his Sunday morning AA team?

Then it's good Brown's opinion doesn't matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is that team Lloyd's final AA Team or his Sunday morning AA team?
That will be the final team I am guessing, he won't include finals so thats it for the year

A bit of a joke really to have Lachie in it all year and kick him out but it shouldn't matter as he would be a lock for the official AA team anyway

So how can he justify the change to put him out of his rolling squad? 36 disposals not enough?

I keep getting disappointed in myself for hoping for integrity, when I really have no right to expect it.

So how can he justify the change to put him out of his rolling squad? 36 disposals not enough?

I keep getting disappointed in myself for hoping for integrity, when I really have no right to expect it.
He dropped him before he played on the Sunday, The Sunday footy show takes place before the game and I assume he is done with it and its tough luck for Lachie. Not a big deal anyway, he will make the official team and thats all that matters

Wallace on the radio said if Fyfe or Dangerfield (if Dange played for Freo) got the same stats as Neale, Freo would win more games ie Lach gets the ball heaps but is not damaging enough??!!

Wallace on the radio said if Fyfe or Dangerfield (if Dange played for Freo) got the same stats as Neale, Freo would win more games ie Lach gets the ball heaps but is not damaging enough??!!

So he's saying if you put the ball in the hands of the two most dangerous mids in the game 40 times a game they'd do more damage than a 176cm in-and-under feeder? No s**t Terry.

You could say the same thing about Sam Mitchell - imagine how much better it would be for Hawthorn if Luke Hodge was racking up 40 touches a game instead of him. Difference is Mitchell has always had that quality around him to feed it out to - as Lachie will next year hopefully with a fully fit midfield around him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back