Draft Profile Lachie Neale

Remove this Banner Ad

DANGERZONE123

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
40 disposals in the u18 SANFL finals. 10 Clearances and 8 I50's, plus a goal.

Seen as a rookie pick early on, but I've been keen on him for a while.

Where would he go after this impressive display?

Did he use the ball well?

No use getting the ball 40 times if you butcher it.

He was credited with 10 clangers in that 40.
Lachie's a good option for Rookie, but may sneak in late in the main draft.

He's short (about 176 cm) and pretty slow, but he works exceptionally hard, is very tough and is very, very smart in his play and can accumulate possessions.
Probably an inside mid mainly, somewhat in the Mitchell category.

Certainly worth putting on a list and seeing how he develops from there.

He's short (about 176 cm) and pretty slow, but he works exceptionally hard, is very tough and is very, very smart in his play and can accumulate possessions.

I wouldn't say Mitchell because he is an exceptional user of the ball. I'm thinking more of a Sewell type player. Won the Normsmith equivalent medal in a losing side.

This kid is an absolute gem. He has been playing reasonably well for the glenelg league side and came back to 18's for finals and was outstanding. Was best on ground by a country mile despite playing in the losing team. I think he is under rated by most and deserves to go in the top 40-50 atleast. Exceptional footy brain, is deadly accurate on both feet and a great kid to go with it. Only negatives are his height and pace. :thumbsu:

'Cl' is clearances, not clangers on the Champion Data stats. I was at the game and a friend got the stats which are done by the Glenelg statisticians. They said he had 42 possessions (I can't remember actual hand ball and kick numbers) and they had him down for 3 ineffective handballs and 2 ineffective kicks. Thats 88% efficiency which, considering the wet conditions and the game being very contested was a great effort.

By all reports he is highly regarded by those around him and by the coaching staff at Glenelg. I also think he is very underated and should be a big chance as one of the few SA lads that may go in the draft this year.

If footballers are truly back in vogue, Lachie should get a look in. It is worth noting that he was also very good for Glenelg in the Elimination Final.

For those who have watched a bit of him, is he similar to Tom Rockliff?

Good call I reckon Knight Ryders. I watched his league final for Glenelg against South Adelaide at AAMI and he stood out that day. He looks as though he has gone from school football last year (he may have played in the 2010 Bay U18 flag?), to SANFL U18, to State U18, to SANFL ressies to SANFL league and appears to have handled each new level of competition well.

I am thinking there is a touch of the Sam Mitchell's about him?

he has been described elsewhere here on BF as being an 'outside' player, however, there is no doubt he is more inside than outside. I also hear from those close to him he has some good running jump form also - has anyone seen any of the state screening results yet from the weekend?

I was talking to one of Lachie Neale's mates in Adelaide last night who said he has had 7 or 8 interviews with AFL clubs. They are still hopefull - more than confident- he will get picked up in the National draftand it makes it interesting as apparently the general feel is that his stocks are rising.

Pace a concern? Ran a 3.0 in the 20m sprint at state screening and was carrying some sort of leg injury form the U18 GF the weekend before. I also see he had running jumps of 85 and 87 cm (If i remember correctly) so he has some spring also.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he jumps in front of one or two other more highly fancied SA kids at the end of all of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back