Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Had someone told me prior to the trade period that we will be trading our 24 1st and a 2nd rounder I would have expected to get a better player then Shultz
I don't think you understand how good Shultz is on his day. How about trusting the club which recruited 5 lesser name players who all played a role in winning us the flag this year? It seems to be a perennial ritual for Collingwood supporters to be pessimistic or critical of whoever we bring into our club over the summer.

Some joy and optimism would be a pleasant change.

Agreed. And his tackling is ferocious, too. The only concern I had was the number of times the highlights package showed a mark inside fifty but then didn't show his shot on goal. Was it not shown because it was a fait acompli or because he missed? How's his conversion rate?
He's a good set shot. What they didn't highlight was his ability to take a big pack mark. It seems to me some fans don't watch other clubs very much. I have been a big Shultz fan for at least two years. My son and I love him so you can imagine our delight today.

We are in a Premiership window right now.

In the past we have butchered seasons following a flag and this time while Pendlebury, Sidey, Howe etc are still up and about contributing strongly we need to top up to try to win a 2nd and 3rd flag.

You just don't often get these opportunities with a seasoned list to go for it. So, yes we may have over-paid for Schultz but we need to add more goal scoring power to finish off the work of our strong defence. We ARE addressing a need, just like we did with McStay, Hill, Frampton and the surprise packet of the year The Leg Man!.

Good times ahead.

In Wrighty I trust.

:collingwood:

Re the bolded, season 2024 will also be different for us in that we’ll have a happy and well adjusted coach - unlike 2011.🫣

Shultz is a very good player.

Questions of course are, who makes way?

Here's my optimistic take: McReery gets super fit and moves into the midfield; Elliot plays more midfield; Bobby Hill plays on the wing.

There are options to move some players out of forward line so Shultz becomes one of our elite small forwards.

Here's my optimistic take: McReery gets super fit and moves into the midfield; Elliot plays more midfield; Bobby Hill plays on the wing.

There are options to move some players out of forward line so Shultz becomes one of our elite small forwards.

He replaces Taylor Adams through the year role and replaces Ginnis role on GF day.

Someone is always going to be getting hurt/suspended...

A few years ago we didn't have much in the small forward area now have the best in the comp. He loves the big games a packed out mcg he will go next level like hill this season.
It's a good point. At the beginning of last year it looked a big weakness with fingers crossed that Ginni and McCreery would be good enough and really quickly.

Trading a future 1st round has its risks. We could end up 15th next year and have just traded away a pick 3....

I could condemn the club now or wait to see how it all pans out and just say "i told you so" if things go wrong. I think i'll choose the latter. I find that I have plenty of list management skills when I'm working retrospectively....
Hope your counting works better in hindsight also. Pick 3?

Glad to get Schultz but we overpaid in a massive way.

Hugely disappointed we have no first round pick next year and this year's first round pick is basically second round... I didnt see small forwards as deficiency we needed to give our future first round pick to address.
This is my concern as well. Does he fill a need? Will he make Ginni irrelevant? I'm not so sure, hopefully it works out well. We will be handicapped at next year's draft meaning for the future when most of our seniors would be calling it a day.

Hello good Collingwood folk, I come in peace. Great year this year, you’re one of my most liked Vic clubs - pretty much every Pies fan I’ve met is a good unit. Anyway, just wanted to say that your club will be a force (again) with this guy on board. Absolute heart and soul player, takes hangers, kicks clutch goals, does all of the hard defensive work, awesome field kick, I could go on. So, you’ve pinched a beauty here and you should be stoked regardless of the value paid.

Well done and good luck for next year.

I had kinda hoped we would have put a ban on trading our future firsts, but Schultz is a big signing so I am content.

I can see us finishing top 4 next year anyhow, so possibly quite low risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1832393
never again, you won’t need to put this on again.

I must be the only person on the planet who loved that jumper. The anchor, the purple, the red and my favourite - the green! - all held together with the delicate application of white. Sorely missed.☹️

This is my concern as well. Does he fill a need? Will he make Ginni irrelevant? I'm not so sure, hopefully it works out well. We will be handicapped at next year's draft meaning for the future when most of our seniors would be calling it a day.

He is more a Upgrade then Feeling a Need

He's a cracking little player who I've followed for a few years so really happy he's on board.

One thing I like about him is that he is underrated in the air - has pretty impressive overhead marking for a small forward, and leads up very well, pretty difficult to play on.

Welcome Lachie :)

Having seen his highlights package,I’m happy with the deal now.He has all the attributes you want in a small forward,good goal sense,good set shot,pressure excellent,and he’s a front and square type player who can also crumb goals off a pack.So there’s no doubt he’s going to make us a better side next year.🥹

Fair deal IMO. Draft picks - even those in the first round - are so speculative. Being in a premiership window, I prefer a known quantity that is at the right age to make an immediate impact. I don't watch many Freo games - but in a few of those I did watch, he often stood out. I think he will be an excellent addition to the team. Excited for Round 1 already!

I always trust Wrighty. Last 3 premiers all slid the following year

Richmond 2020 - missed finals
Melbourne 2021 - out in straight sets
Geelong 2022 - missed finals
We will break the rules again just like team who finished top never wins the silverware, team who isn't in form at round 23 never goes far...
We will not be making up the numbers we will be looking to get to 17 first.

from my Delorean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back