Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

He averages just over a goal a game and you classify him as elite. It’s very loose usage of the word.
Why would you look at career averages for a really late bloomer? It makes no sense to give his 2020 as much value as his 2023. Just dumb analysis

Yea an elite small forward would be a Toby Greene, Charlie Cameron, Luke Breust.

Schultz has no where near the talent. He's a good honest player and you do not trade first rounders for good honest players.
I would say Schultz is in the top 10-15% of small forwards in the competition. Rung below the perennial AA calibre guys you mention

Why would you look at career averages for a really late bloomer? It makes no sense to give his 2020 as much value as his 2023. Just dumb analysis
My analysis of having too many players over 30 was also apparently dumb. It’s looking pretty solid now.
Dumb would be an apt word to describe most of your posts.

I would say Schultz is in the top 10-15% of small forwards in the competition. Rung below the perennial AA calibre guys you mention
Rung below you have the Papleys, Heeney, Bobby Hill, Jamie Elliott, Zac Bailey, Lincoln McCarthy, Bailey Fritsch, Kozzie Pickett, Rankine, Rachelle, Cody Weightman, Callum M Brown, Walters, Willie Rioli, Ginnivan etc.

Plenty there that average more goals, have more x-factor and people would likely pick over Schultz.

Rung below you have the Papleys, Heeney, Bobby Hill, Jamie Elliott, Zac Bailey, Lincoln McCarthy, Bailey Fritsch, Kozzie Pickett, Rankine, Rachelle, Cody Weightman, Callum M Brown, Walters, Willie Rioli, Ginnivan etc.

Plenty there that average more goals, have more x-factor and people would likely pick over Schultz.
That is an extremely broad group of players (some of whom aren’t even small forwards!) who are not on the same tier

My analysis of having too many players over 30 was also apparently dumb. It’s looking pretty solid now.
I look forward to more takes about goals being the be-all end-all measure of a forward

That is an extremely broad group of players (some of whom aren’t even small forwards!) who are not on the same tier
There's a broad group because there's so many small forwards that are potentially better that Schultz is definitely not classified as elite and would be tough to even rank him top 10-15%.

There's a broad group because there's so many small forwards that are potentially better that Schultz is definitely not classified as elite and would be tough to even rank him top 10-15%.
Sure, when you list players who aren’t small forwards it becomes nearly impossible

"Analysis"? You made an assertion. Last year. Then we won a flag. That's what is called a flawed assertion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, when you list players who aren’t small forwards it becomes nearly impossible
Sure Callum Brown might play more like a tall forward. Who else doesn't belong on the list? There's plenty more I missed like 2022 AA small forwards Tyson Stengle and Shai Bolton. Will Hayward as another pressure forward that scores goals. Even Jack Higgins scored more goals last year.

I'd like to see you list out all the small forwards and show how Schultz clearly ranks in the top 10-15%. You can comfortably make the claim that Schultz is above average. But that's it. There's no evidence that he's elite or in the top 10-15%.

Sure Callum Brown might play more like a tall forward. Who else doesn't belong on the list? There's plenty more I missed like 2022 AA small forwards Tyson Stengle and Shai Bolton. Will Hayward as another pressure forward that scores goals. Even Jack Higgins scored more goals last year.

I'd like to see you list out all the small forwards and show how Schultz clearly ranks in the top 10-15%. You can comfortably make the claim that Schultz is above average. But that's it. There's no evidence that he's elite or in the top 10-15%.
Lead up marking mediums like Heeney, Elliott & Fritsch are not small forwards in any way.

Maybe after work I’ll have a go at ranking small forwards in the league

Lead up marking mediums like Heeney, Elliott & Fritsch are not small forwards in any way.

Maybe after work I’ll have a go at ranking small forwards in the league

Heeney, Elliott and Fritsch get plenty of ground level goals. Toby Greene, Charlie Cameron, Luke Breust get plenty of goals as lead up forwards.

2023 Marks Inside 50 Average
Heeney 1.3
Elliott 2.5
Fritsch 2.2

Toby Greene: 1.9
Charlie Cameron: 2.5
Luke Breust: 2.0

You're either a KPF or you're a "small" forward. You don't make the same differentiation amongst defenders. A Quaynor or Maynard is expected to play on Cameron/Greene one week and a Heeney/Fritsch the next week.

Trying to narrow the definition of a small forward category that Schultz fits in so that it can exclude more forwards makes the claim that he's top 10-15% in his position worse.

Heeney, Elliott and Fritsch get plenty of ground level goals. Toby Greene, Charlie Cameron, Luke Breust get plenty of goals as lead up forwards.

2023 Marks Inside 50 Average
Heeney 1.3
Elliott 2.5
Fritsch 2.2

Toby Greene: 1.9
Charlie Cameron: 2.5
Luke Breust: 2.0

You're either a KPF or you're a "small" forward. You don't make the same differentiation amongst defenders. A Quaynor or Maynard is expected to play on Cameron/Greene one week and a Heeney/Fritsch the next week.

Trying to narrow the definition of a small forward category that Schultz fits in so that it can exclude more forwards makes the claim that he's top 10-15% in his position worse.
Reductive again. I expect hybrid defenders to man hybrid forwards, much the same way I expect small defenders to defend their equivalents.

Your allergy to nuance is odd. To say there are only key talls or smalls is further odd.

Reductive again. I expect hybrid defenders to man hybrid forwards, much the same way I expect small defenders to defend their equivalents.

Your allergy to nuance is odd. To say there are only key talls or smalls is further odd.
So now they're "hybrid forwards"? Should hybrid forwards be compared against small forwards or is that entirely exclusive? Are they excluded from being compared to Schultz if they take a certain number of marks?

There's no allergy to nuance. The purpose of this exercise was to determine whether Schultz is an elite player that was worth trading a first and second round for. To claim that he is top 10-15% in his position and refuse to compare him to other elite forwards who have better all round games is misleading.

When AA selectors come in to select the best players in their respective positions they don't introduce this nuance. They pick the best KPFs and the the best smaller forwards. It doesn't matter if they're "medium marking forwards" or "small forwards" or "hybrid forwards".

So now they're "hybrid forwards"? Should hybrid forwards be compared against small forwards or is that entirely exclusive? Are they excluded from being compared to Schultz if they take a certain number of marks?

There's no allergy to nuance. The purpose of this exercise was to determine whether Schultz is an elite player that was worth trading a first and second round for. To claim that he is top 10-15% in his position and refuse to compare him to other elite forwards who have better all round games is misleading.

When AA selectors come in to select the best players in their respective positions they don't introduce this nuance. They pick the best KPFs and the the best smaller forwards. It doesn't matter if they're "medium marking forwards" or "small forwards" or "hybrid forwards".
The goalpost shifting is incredible!

Bringing AA selection into this is another fun twist. It’s pretty much a consensus that they have ignored small forwards to jam more midfielders into the team, as midfielders are better

Them goal posts better wider apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back