Lachie Weller requests a trade to Gold Coast [Packaged with pick 41 for pick 2]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the ambassador payments that Ablett was getting for playing at GC. They're all Wellers now.
I really think GC do well getting Weller , when you look at their list , a Rayner or LDU not going affect their win and losses that much ,they need Weller, Bowes type of local product to build their foundation .

Well his first few forays into the media limelight haven't been encouraging.... I'd say he's got some work to do.

The whole thing is interesting isnt it?

I loved how it just escalated as GC tried literally everything they could think of before offering up 2. I would have taken Eagles' first rounder for sure (how fun would that be every time they lost next season).

I'm a bit meh on the first 5 this year - Victorian midfielders. But I think a few of them offer up that inside-outside value that Balic was supposed to be (and what we had S Hill doing, before he got really banged up - probably doesnt have the body for it). So that's good.

Didn't like the flac Weller was copping on here. He was honest the whole time. I can understand getting offered 5 years and the penny dropping for him re: Perth. He did the right thing.

I also can't fault Weller. We've won our fair share and lost 3 this season for similar reasons.

I actually think the whole last minute Weller scramble certainly played into our hands. We were emotional and put up a hissy fit and came out on top. I think if Weller comes out much earlier, we throw a hissy fit, but then possibly rationalise things and accept a good deal still, but never pick 2.

It's the ambassador payments that Ablett was getting for playing at GC. They're all Wellers now.
That's actually the part that most people are missing - this trade, for GC, wasn't about getting a star player so much as it was replacing Ablett.
Thing is, they've already had a plethora of top-ten picks and there are more on the way. Four last year, two(?) next year, still have one this year (19 from Ablett) and the cycle is going to continue for a while yet if they can keep trading their want-outs for more.
They don't need any more draft picks. What they need is Weller.

Weller doesn't need to be a star like Ablett. He only needs to be pretty good. His image is the young, surfie, good looking type with a hot girlfriend that might garner interest from younger supporters in a way Ablett never could.
See if I was GC, I wouldn't be trying to pull in fans from the older folks - they're already set in their ways, and older folks don't change easily. You're not going to lure many into following a sport they never have just by being successful.
Nope. I'd be trying to get the attention of kids, young folks. The ones who only pay lip service to the rugby or whatever at the moment because their parents do. And when they get a bit older... they might be looking to follow something their parents don't. And that's where Weller comes in. Added to that, is the point that he actually wants to be there. He's the kind of guy who is going to get in front of the cameras and say "Yeah, I love it here" and mean it... something which is sadly lacking in other ambassadors.
He's still only 22, and has upside. He's hot, his girl is hot, he wears cool sunnies, goes surfing and might turn out to be a good player as well.

That's the first part of the puzzle. It might be understandable to most from an ambassadorial point of view, but then they turn around and say "yeah, but pick 2? No way is he worth pick 2".
Those folks, though, aren't looking at things from GC's perspective. As mentioned before, they've got draft picks coming from everywhere. In terms of picks, they're rich in the way some people have ten grand sitting in a drawer in case they need sugar and forgot to get cash out from the bank kind of rich. Six cars in the driveway kind of rich, with a Beamer that isn't getting driven because they prefer the Merc.

Simply put, the excitement around having pick 2 in the draft is not the same thing to them it is for us. They're all sitting quite casually saying "pick 2? Yeah cool, whats on TV?" and we're all jumping up and down going OMG OMG OMG pick twoooooooo! because even Stephen Hill was the next one down, and that was nearly ten years ago.

That sour look on Clayton's face might have been because he was thinking the same way most of you are - tactically.
And then he was told by his management to do something strategic, outside his experience and job description that he wouldn't do if he was a recruiter for say... Fremantle.

It makes perfect sense to me. Hope Weller carves it up at GC, and good luck to him - he's hit the jackpot.

That's actually the part that most people are missing - this trade, for GC, wasn't about getting a star player so much as it was replacing Ablett.
Thing is, they've already had a plethora of top-ten picks and there are more on the way. Four last year, two(?) next year, still have one this year (19 from Ablett) and the cycle is going to continue for a while yet if they can keep trading their want-outs for more.

Weller doesn't need to be a star like Ablett. He only needs to be pretty good. His image is the young, surfie, good looking type with a hot girlfriend that might garner interest from younger supporters in a way Ablett never could.
See if I was GC, I wouldn't be trying to pull in fans from the older folks - they're already set in their ways, and older folks don't change easily. You're not going to lure many into following a sport they never have just by being successful.
Nope. I'd be trying to get the attention of kids, young folks. The ones who only pay lip service to the rugby or whatever at the moment because their parents do. And when they get a bit older... they might be looking to follow something their parents don't. And that's where Weller comes in. Added to that, is the point that he actually wants to be there. He's the kind of guy who is going to get in front of the cameras and say "Yeah, I love it here" and mean it... something which is sadly lacking in other ambassadors.
He's still only 22, and has upside. He's hot, his girl is hot, he wears cool sunnies, goes surfing and might turn out to be a good player as well.

That's the first part of the puzzle. It might be understandable to most from an ambassadorial point of view, but then they turn around and say "yeah, but pick 2? No way is he worth pick 2".
Those folks, though, aren't looking at things from GC's perspective. As mentioned before, they've got draft picks coming from everywhere. In terms of picks, they're rich in the way some people have ten grand sitting in a drawer in case they need sugar and forgot to get cash out from the bank kind of rich. Six cars in the driveway kind of rich, with a Beamer that isn't getting driven because they prefer the Merc.

Simply put, the excitement around having pick 2 in the draft is not the same thing to them it is for us. They're all sitting quite casually saying "pick 2? Yeah cool, whats on TV?" and we're all jumping up and down going OMG OMG OMG pick twoooooooo! because even Stephen Hill was the next one down, and that was nearly ten years ago.

That sour look on Clayton's face might have been because he was thinking the same way most of you are - tactically.
And then he was told by his management to do something strategic, outside his experience and job description that he wouldn't do if he was a recruiter for say... Fremantle.

It makes perfect sense to me. Hope Weller carves it up at GC, and good luck to him - he's hit the jackpot.
The best I had read about this Weller trade so far ,well balance.

Yep, nailed it.

His value to any other club was around where everyone was saying it was (10-20). So many other things in play with GC as you mentioned. We won trade lotto as much as he did. Right place at the right time sort of thing.

To put it into perspective, WC fans were arguing during the trade period that if Gaff was on the market he would be worth a top 10 pick (Saints 7 or 8 from memory). Probably accurate too.

The only way Weller was worth more than Gaff right now is in a situation like the one that presented itself at the GC. Crazy.

The irony is that it was WC who helped that scenario become a reality.

Weages are crazy not to trade Gaff this year, a real chance to get into the top 7 of this draft

Next year he becomes a free agent, but they obviously fancy themselves as a real shot for a premiership

I personally can't see it, the loss of Mitchell will hurt them. I reckon he papered over some glaring cracks in their vanilla midfield group, his disposal was elite

Time will tell I suppose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weages are crazy not to trade Gaff this year, a real chance to get into the top 7 of this draft

Next year he becomes a free agent, but they obviously fancy themselves as a real shot for a premiership

I personally can't see it, the loss of Mitchell will hurt them. I reckon he papered over some glaring cracks in their vanilla midfield group, his disposal was elite

Time will tell I suppose
If he gets paid enough and they suck enough then he might be worth a top three pick next year as a free agent compo rather than pick #7 this year.

Unless North were crazy enough to give up pick #4 for him

If he gets paid enough and they suck enough then he might be worth a top three pick next year as a free agent compo rather than pick #7 this year.

Unless North were crazy enough to give up pick #4 for him

That wouldn't surprise me one bit either knowing North and their war chest, although if the weages finish in the 8 like they are confident of then even band 1 compo only gives them a direct pick after their first, yes ?

Didn't they give their future first to GC for all those juicy second rounders ?

That wouldn't surprise me one bit either knowing North and their war chest, although if the weages finish in the 8 like they are confident of then even band 1 compo only gives them a direct pick after their first, yes ?

Didn't they give their future first to GC for all those juicy second rounders ?
That's right, the compo pick still lands where their pick would be even if they don't have it

I didn't listen to his infamous radio interview so that's the first time I can remember hearing him speak. I can see what some were saying now about him not coming across as the most eloquent guy in the world.

The other factor about the trade being pick 2 is the strength of this years draft and Weller still being young. He could easily be taken top 5 if he was available. Next year, no way would any team give up pick 2.

Kinda feel sorry for the GC, Kinda mirrors us early with Drum, Hatt, Schwabboly etc. We just dealt with them ruthlessly.
Really? I just laugh..look up pathetic in the dictionary and you’ll find Gold Coast., had the silver spoon for years and still can’t get their s**t together

Really? I just laugh..look up pathetic in the dictionary and you’ll find Gold Coast., had the silver spoon for years and still can’t get their s**t together
Nah I think they will get their s**t together with Weller . Is a win deal for both parties .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back