Lachie Weller requests a trade to Gold Coast [Packaged with pick 41 for pick 2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Weller is probably on 250k - the manager is probably thinking "moving early will earn me an extra 50k a year - no brainer"
yep happens all the time in every sport including afl. Particularly in European Soccer. There is no way all of these players are just randomly getting home sick including all the boys we got last trade period. The AFL should regulate player management payments based on years of service and financial terms from the PREVIOUS contract that player signed.

They get to draft some A grade Class which they def. need.. as opposed to signing one which they missed out on.

Saints should do it. They'd get the kind of player they need @ #2, not sure they will at #7/#8. Of course whether Freo accepts #7 is another matter.

GWS have already set Wilson's maximum value as a late 1st rounder. They can't change their minds and say, now we want a top 10 pick. That's the kind of thing the AFL would step in about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep happens all the time in every sport including afl. Particularly in European Soccer. There is no way all of these players are just randomly getting home sick including all the boys we got last trade period. The AFL should regulate player management payments based on years of service and financial terms from the PREVIOUS contract that player signed.

Yes I call bullshit and can see the manager wanting him to leave so he pockets more money from his player.

He organises Weller to go on trade radio fir publicity.

Either way the system sucks and can really hurt clubs who invest time and resources into these players.

GWS are just holding out to see what we end up with when the dust settles on Weller (ie, pick 19). They will not bother asking for pick 7 (unless its a 7 and 11 swap, which we will say no to)

GWS are just holding out to see what we end up with when the dust settles on Weller (ie, pick 19). They will not bother asking for pick 7 (unless its a 7 and 11 swap, which we will say no to)
Understandable really. If there is one thing GWS desperately needs, it's more first round draft picks.

Okay I've got one...

GC trade 2 and 21 to StK for 7 and 8

GC trade 7 to Freo for Weller

Freo trade 7 to GWS for Wilson and 27 (values him at 20)

Freo trade 57 to GC for Matera

Overall gain/loss

Gain: Wilson, Matera, 27 (40, 66)
Lose: Weller, 57 (Balic, Crozier)

Take to the draft:
5, 27, 40, 41, 60, 66, 79, 83

An off season that ends up with us entering the draft with 5&7 plus bringing in Wilson and Matera works just fine for me.

I like Weller, but have been a little disappointed with his development. Seems to have slowed a little and I think he will be good, but probably not A-grade. Seems set for 150-200 game career though.

Right now I question where his priorities are, and because of that I question how far he will prgress with his football. He has said very little about wanting to go to GCS because of who they are as a club or what he feels like he can achieve there. More focused on the lifestyle. I would be stunned if money wasn't talking loudly here.

Conversely he seems perfect for them.

Okay I've got one...

Overall gain/loss

Take to the draft:
Would rather keep 7 if we were somehow able to get it off GC.

Okay I've got one...

Overall gain/loss

Take to the draft:
Could well happen like that. To me it seems like the minimum deal for us that we would accept, especially given the rhetoric.

Would be trying to just get GCS to include Matera, who they don't want, and I am not sure if they would want pick 57 either.

Also if we did get 7, I would love to take it to the draft and do GWS no favours. I do like Wilson though, and with Weller gone our need for him has stepped up a bit.

Would rather keep 7 if we were somehow able to get it off GC.
Me too x 100. But sometimes you have to be pragmatic and think about what gets Wilson to Freo. can't on the one hand demand the world for Weller, but on the other try and get Wilson on the cheap. Wilson is proven, Weller is still potential.

Okay I've got one...

Overall gain/loss

Take to the draft:
sounds acceptable to me at this point. You available to be in Melbourne tomorrow morning while lloydy is still focused on doing number 2s??

Plus, with the way this competition is going, there's no point either interstate club holding pick #2 for a Vic metro midfielder. May as well start off and stay in Melbourne with the Saints.

Could well happen like that. To me it seems like the minimum deal for us that we would accept, especially given the rhetoric.

Would be trying to just get GCS to include Matera, who they don't want, and I am not sure if they would want pick 57 either.

Also if we did get 7, I would love to take it to the draft and do GWS no favours. I do like Wilson though, and with Weller gone our need for him has stepped up a bit.

True - they won't draft that deep. 7 + Matera for Weller.

Okay I've got one...

Overall gain/loss

Take to the draft:

Would just keep 7. Otherwise your effectively doing the two second rounders (Wilson + 27) deal that I really don't like.

sounds acceptable to me at this point. You available to be in Melbourne tomorrow morning while lloydy is still focused on doing number 2s??

Like Gav's idea better - get them to chuck Matera in as the steak knives with pick 7, and keep 57, which they wouldn't use anyway, If it's a token pick swap, give them 83.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back