Lachie Whitfield and GWS Officials Under Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

McLachlan would not comment on whether he expected an infraction notice to be handed down.

"Our team is working through it with ASADA, the right way forward and the process for that. Clearly it's something that a decision needs to be made sooner rather than later and I'm optimistic (it happens) in the next week or so," McLachlan said on Wednesday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-26/whitfield-resolution-within-the-week-says-mclachlan

Still got some more waiting to know what the next step is...
He hasn't decided on Watson yet how do you expect him to be up to speed on this!!!! ;)

You are a very good poster but I think you're off the mark on this one. It is about Collingwood to a reasonable extent now. If Whitfield had been traded to Collingwood instead of Treloar would it still be only a "GWS issue"?

Firstly, I didn't say it is only a GWS issue but it sure as hell is not a predominately Pies issue, but yet it is being written / discussed in that manner - which is my point. As an example, count the amount of times Allen, Eddie (even Balme) is mentioned compared to GWS, Lambert or even Whitfield in the media or even on here.

As posted Pies have an internal issue if due diligence was not followed or if someone they hired needs replacing, but that is the size of it really. Hardly the main issues on the matter. This pretty much answers your question as well, in that on-field we will not be affected so Treloar versus Whitfield is irrelevant.

McLachlan would not comment on whether he expected an infraction notice to be handed down.

"Our team is working through it with ASADA, the right way forward and the process for that. Clearly it's something that a decision needs to be made sooner rather than later and I'm optimistic (it happens) in the next week or so," McLachlan said on Wednesday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-26/whitfield-resolution-within-the-week-says-mclachlan

Still got some more waiting to know what the next step is...
From the CEO of the league that hasn't made a decision on this for over a year

If this wasn't leaked, they would never have had to make a decision on this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if it's a breach of the afl anti doping code?

Yes the AFL can investigate anti doping matters in its own right, and under the code must keep ASADA informed, but is not bound by the ASADA act if it decides to penalise via it's own policies.

ASADA once having gone through its processes, basically forces the AFL to issue an infraction notice.

Edit* added relevant section of the code with my emphasis.

Section 15 Infraction Notice

(a) As soon as possible after the AFL General Counsel has received notification from ASADA of an Adverse Analytical Finding or he believes on other grounds that there may have been committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation or a breach of this Code, he or she will give to the Person an infraction notice, together with a copy of this Code, and refer the matter to the Tribunal for hearing and determination.

Last edited:
Infraction notices issued.

Off to the AFL tribunal.

Messres Jones, Nixon and Henwood reunite.

NOT GUILTY.

We can't prove Lachie Whitfield was even in the country at the time of said misdemeanour.

They weren't comfortably satisfied that it was Lachie on his phone when that text was sent. They believe the phone is his. They know the text was sent. They know that he was actually at Lambo's house and they know Allen was aware of it but....but there is that nagging doubt that Lambo or someone else in his house could have sent that text from Lachie's phone.

They weren't comfortably satisfied that it was Lachie on his phone when that text was sent. They believe the phone is his. They know the text was sent. They know that he was actually at Lambo's house and they know Allen was aware of it but....but there is that nagging doubt that Lambo or someone else in his house could have sent that text from Lachie's phone.

All GWS staff and players were issued Samsung 7 Note phones.

Unfortunately, all phones have mysteriously exploded and no eveidence can be retrieved..

Possibly.

But the alternate view is....

ASADA have text messages from accused stating that he thinks he has PEDs in his system and needs to hide out in case he gets busted for these PEDs.

Even if it is merely an 'innocent' party drug issue and nothing to do with PEDs, ASADA have to act.

Firstly, because according to Smith and Wilson, he was taken off grid to avoid being tested for PEDs (albeit not intentionally taken), and secondly because ASADA can't possibly allow this type of excuse to become a 'get out' for future cases.

I wouldn't blame ASADA for being involved in this. If what Wilson and Smith are saying re the evidence is correct.

ASADA have to investigate because they were notified by a whistleblower - I stand by my opinion that the Whitfield case doesn't fit into the spirit of the WADA Code, while Bock survives despite damning evidence because ASADA gave Robinson immunity from prosecution - I know which of the two cases has broken the WADA Code.

There is a series of failures here - it's taken a concerted effort by the 2 support team members to try and keep a lid on it.

Surprisingly so far, the Club itself hasn't done too badly in investigating internally, raising the issue, providing that up the AFL layer (for "medium-term-carpetting" - but that has been an AFL initiated action), then disciplining the two whilst at the club and finally releasing them by the end of that season.

Picking on some key points quoted:

"Allan and Lambert have backed Whitfield's claim that he concocted the entire drug fear story as a ruse to end a difficult relationship."
- On what planet would this be seen as a sound risk mitigation strategy, for any business? There would have been PR and legal guidance available that would have shut this down immediately, at club level.

"They have also backed his claim that he was, in fact, suffering a migraine."
- That should be an easy one to prove, had that been the cause of him left out of a game. There should be an easliy accessible record of assessment by a club doctor - Especially as any head concern would likely require a quick assessment to quickly discount a previously unreported concussion incident.

"Allan, who like Lambert received an official warning from the Giants for his conduct, has enlisted the highly-paid services of senior litigation and dispute resolution lawyer Leon Zwier."
- over a year later seems a bit odd to be taking up seperate representation. If something happened whilst he was employed by the club, would he be covered by both club representation AND insurance?
Unless the club has already advised them that they will not be covered/ represented?

"Whitfield's former partner Nowland had contacted the club fearing for Whitfield's welfare. She emailed player welfare official Brett Hand expressing concern about Whitfield's behaviour, possible drug use and hiding from drug testers. As reported last month by Fairfax Media, Allan instructed Hand to delete the email and told Hand that Nowland was erratic and difficult and that he had taken care of the issue."
- Open to misinterpretation but ... the AFL is based in Vic, Vic have very strong laws about holding business records for 7 years, including business emails. This would extend to operations in other states as a set standard, to manage risk across the business (set to the highest, legislated requirement, then everyone is covered) - so just deleting business related email trails alone, is already a pretty major governance failure.
At least it would be in at least 2 national companies I've worked for.

"It is also understood that Allan and Lambert have deleted text messages from the time of the incident in May 2015 which also saw Whitfield miss the round-seven clash against Carlton."
- Did they learn nothing from the Dank-Hird SMS exchanges? Someone ALWAYS keeps a copy, somewhere.
It's also interesting to see if corporate related texts are also considered as a business record/communication (see above point).

Final point - if they have done as is claimed, then this is a very sexist, targeted witchhunt by those two and an example that further shows that "The old Boys Club" mentality and management is stilll alive and thriving in the AFL.
It doesn't auger well for the women's league .... but that is definately OT so I'll drop it (and my distaste in seeing how they are batardising an equal opportunity for women's sport by setting it up to be be abused in the same way they've done with the former, great, men's State leagues). Mark me down as a crazy for this last one!! ;)

Yet another person who falls for the media lead crusade 'sexist issue' whenever a case like this happens - The person who contacted ASADA is a whistleblower - So that means they could be either sex - By their very nature ,whistleblowers attract scrutiny, and can be the target of vicious attacks by a variety of sources - The whistleblower's sex is irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back