Recommitted Lachie Whitfield [OOC 2027] - GWS “open to conversations”

Remove this Banner Ad

I am interested in what he is worth ( as a trade where GWS gets less than they would due to his existing contract, but I don't think a player this good is classified as a salary dump).

I would say as a free agent clubs would offer a 5 year, $800k contract.
If having to trade( if he was on say $750k a year, probably a club would offer a pick between 11 to 14).
Therefore I think to trade in current contract, probably reduce trade value by 25%
hence worth about 16 to 19.

Sounds like the club is trying to push him out but unless he's had a change of heart, he'll not want to move. He loves playing at the Giants. Was very happy when Kelly signed on.

If the club is pushing him out it's essentially a salary dump. He's not going to be commanding a first round pick unless they pay a fair chunk of his price.

Sydney should be the 1 going all in. An elite ball user with finals experience should be a priority. Especially he's very settled in sydney/nsw.

I am interested in what he is worth ( as a trade where GWS gets less than they would due to his existing contract, but I don't think a player this good is classified as a salary dump).

I would say as a free agent clubs would offer a 5 year, $800k contract.
If having to trade( if he was on say $750k a year, probably a club would offer a pick between 11 to 14).
Therefore I think to trade in current contract, probably reduce trade value by 25%
hence worth about 16 to 19.
I think the answer to this is 'it depends'.
He's got what 5mill still owed, not many clubs could fit that in for 1 player and he isn't at the age where you could extend it and smooth it out.

I tend to agree with you that is GWS contributed 300k pa for the remainder of his contract at 700k he would be worth something. Similar situation to Grundy to a club up the top who needs his type.

But the whole contract I can only see a few clubs being able to afford it, and thats Essendon, Hawthorn and North. These clubs would take on the whole contract but at negative value or at least neutral value with a swap of future picks.

The Giants cap situation will also be taken into effect because if they need to clear $$$ now they don't have the luxury to wait around for the best deal/clubs being in a position to take him on.

Also retaining Hopper would be taken into consideration. Honestly I'd think GWS will end up trading Hopper and thus making this all moot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back