Lachie Whitfield testing drama

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the saints lose picks for saad? Did freo lose picks for Crowley? Did pies lose picks for the pair they lost? .......
No, because those players did drugs without any club involvement, albeit fringe drugs.

Whitfield's case is different in that two club officials sought to avoid Whitfield being tested. The key here is CLUB OFFICIALS. Because of their involvement, GWS will lose picks, I'd reckon it will be 15 and a 30s pick which are original first and second rounders.

That will give you a headache in what you do with pick 2, still take McGrath or honour your academy man in Setterfield?

No, because those players did drugs without any club involvement, albeit fringe drugs.

Whitfield's case is different in that two club officials sought to avoid Whitfield being tested. The key here is CLUB OFFICIALS. Because of their involvement, GWS will lose picks, I'd reckon it will be 15 and a 30s pick which are original first and second rounders.

That will give you a headache in what you do with pick 2, still take McGrath or honour your academy man in Setterfield?
Not what they have been charged with

The GWSGIANTS have a history of just rolling over to AFL_House decisions & regretting it later.

P.Scully in the TPP an example

Hopefully the rhetoric of Dave Matthews looking at legal action against club imposed draft sanctions actually has some substance this time.

I would understand a financial sanction for poor governance; but given no on-field advantage was gained, draft sanctions make zero sense

unless a piecemeal to other clubs in an attempt at balancing the oversupply draft concessions to begin with. Which is entirely unjust.

First year make the finals rip draft picks of us and more 2 come academy changes also. So we can be in the competition 2 bring in tv dollars just don't be 2 successful.
Well * the afl they have seen my last dollar I can't support a sport who make knee jerk decisions on the run.

First we had the list "concessions" cut early and now losing draft picks when let's not forget the afl wouldn't even know about the situation if we as a club didn't inform them as soon as we new.

Are the AFL pissed that the GWS internal investigation didn't conclude any wrongdoing?

Because otherwise I can't understand why the reports suggest that the club is about to receive a sanction for some stupid stuff that three individuals did.

Collingwood and Fremantle didn't get sanctions when their employees broke the WADA code.

But what did GWS do or conspire to do?

Officials that are not with the club anymore and obviously kept it between the three of them so the club as a whole was not complicit

Are the AFL pissed that the GWS internal investigation didn't conclude any wrongdoing?

Because otherwise I can't understand why the reports suggest that the club is about to receive a sanction for some stupid stuff that three individuals did.

Collingwood and Fremantle didn't get sanctions when their employees broke the WADA code.

Nope.
Im thinking its just a way to get the victorian media onside as they are still going hard at them for the start up concessions.

This year alone,
Changed academy rules (again)
Changed cap and list size rules
And now going to take away picks for something that had nothing to do with on field performance and ahould only be a fine if anything.

Just theAFL being the AFL.

Reports are Matthews is looking at legal options.

As others have stated, GWS immediately investigated the matter (from memory, using a QC), and then passed on the report to the AFL.

Still chilled?
I am not happy about the situation. Angry at Lachie and worried about his health at the same time. Angry at Gubby and Lambo for putting us in this situation. Can accept a six month ban for Lachie..if that is the official decision. Will be angry if the AFL takes a first and a second round pick off us, and expect GWS to fight that.

What I won't be doing is tearing up my membership. This is small cheese compared with all the other sagas that go on inside the AFL or any other professional sport. The various sports administration organisations are just as inept, inconsistent and corruptible as the next.

I shouldn't tell you how to feel, but I think you are over reacting in saying you will not bother with AFL if we get penalised as reported. If you can't abide what is happening to us at the moment, then I recommend staying away from any professional sport in future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the extent of our "punishment" is in retaliation to the calls that we were given too many concessions, I would just go with the old saying two wrongs don't make a right. We are always going to be in a tough spot with the media, particularly in Victoria given they have had a set against us ever since we started winning games. It's obviously too hard to fight.

I am disappointed by reports that we are going to lose draft picks over this. Saying this, I am unaware of any kind of precedents that have been set by the AFL on similar issues involving players and actions like this in the past. Given two club officials are involved doesn't look good for our club but there appears to be some unsurety over how much of the situation was known/revealed to the club at the time and during their internal investigation.

If the extent of our "punishment" is in retaliation to the calls that we were given too many concessions, I would just go with the old saying two wrongs don't make a right. We are always going to be in a tough spot with the media, particularly in Victoria given they have had a set against us ever since we started winning games. It's obviously too hard to fight.

I am disappointed by reports that we are going to lose draft picks over this. Saying this, I am unaware of any kind of precedents that have been set by the AFL on similar issues involving players and actions like this in the past. Given two club officials are involved doesn't look good for our club but there appears to be some unsurety over how much of the situation was known/revealed to the club at the time and during their internal investigation.
Adelaide Tippet sags

Gubby and Lambert were pretty senior dudes. It's not the same as some random junior assistant coach going off piste.

I've always been pessimistic about this, due to the combination of just enough truth to rationalise a significant penalty, plus a blood hungry pack ready to devour the AFL should GWS experience any kind of success at all

If our other mids get gametime, they aren't starved in the reserves meaning the search for opportunity isn't as great so other clubs can't steal them away at the end of the year. If rival clubs are circling our list, Lachie copping a ban hurts them in that regard. :D

Trying desperately to find some light in this whole shambles.

His last 6 or so weeks, and performance in the two finals, was pretty awesome and I thought he genuinely arrived as a big time player. Hope this doesn't hurt him, cause he's great to watch.

His last 6 or so weeks, and performance in the two finals, was pretty awesome and I thought he genuinely arrived as a big time player. Hope this doesn't hurt him, cause he's great to watch.
He'll be killing it come finals 2017. Fit, in form and so bloody hungry. Just hope he'll have learnt his lesson.

He will have a very big extra long pre season and will be cherry ripe to have an impact. He played his best game for us after all this stuff broke out and he will come back breathing fire.

Silver lining is that buntine and the kennedys have been given a spot in the 22 to fight over. Hell maybe McGrath or the academy boys might get a solid chance

Wouldn't be justice if GWS lose picks here , Why is it that the supporters are going to be the biggest losers in this ...I would up the Bans and even think about lifetime bans for Craig and Graeme..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back