Recommitted Lachie Whitfield [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of draft position he is a gun. I'd rather have him than whoever is available in the draft at 10.
Of course we would.

Theres no risk to him as he is a gun.

Youre not drafting on hope but trading on actual proven performance and development.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
There is always risk with a draft pick no matter where it is, that's not really the problem of the club doing the deal though. Lets not talk him up as though he's a Nat Fyfe though. He's a good outside player slightly better than a Brad Hill.

I've watched a lot of him over the years. I won't just judge him off one game though. He's a very good player but if he wasn't a former number one pick I doubt you'd be arguing that he's worth any more than a mid first round pick.
:DDont see the problem, we rate him higher than that and have a spot in our best 22 for him. We keep him, everyone's happy

Brad Hill was traded for pick #23
Jack Newnes plays a very similar role to Whitfield and has similar attributes (big tank, very good kick) and has had two top 6 B&F finishes and is only 1year older than Lachie and their numbers at the equivalent stages of their careers are very similar, and I doubt we'd get a fitst rounder for him right now, let alone a top 10 pick.

There is always risk with a draft pick no matter where it is, that's not really the problem of the club doing the deal though. Lets not talk him up as though he's a Nat Fyfe though. He's a good outside player slightly better than a Brad Hill.
Exactly, hense a trade for Lachie is not a risk. Worth a top pick.

Will be interesting to find out the offer to see if the club agrees with your assessment of his skills.

Exactly, hense a trade for Lachie is not a risk. Worth a top pick.

Will be interesting to find out the offer to see if the club agrees with your assessment of his skills.

Well it is a risk considering how many great players get drafted around the pick 5 mark. It could mean we miss out on a Bont, Stringer, Parish or Wines.

If it were up to me and we had picks 5 and 10, I'd only be offering the latter. If it took 5 to get the deal down I'd much prefer to take it to the draft. I just don't see how he warrants anything more.

Well it is a risk considering how many great players get drafted around the pick 5 mark. It could mean we miss out on a Bont, Stringer, Parish or Wines.

Could mean you're missing out on a Gumbleton, Aish, Thorp or O'Rourke as well... That's the whole point of draft picks being an underwhelming return - there's risk attached. If you're just looking at the good picks, of course the draft picks are going to look better.

Could mean you're missing out on a Gumbleton, Aish, Thorp or O'Rourke as well... That's the whole point of draft picks being an underwhelming return - there's risk attached. If you're just looking at the good picks, of course the draft picks are going to look better.
Yes, there are risks involved no matter where the pick was. I was replying to a poster that said their was no risk for the Saints as they'd be getting a good player. Never said you were guaranteed a star with any pick.

I don't think he has done near enough since being drafted at pick one that suggest he'd be worth a top 5 pick.

The only way I'd be willing to trade a pick like 5 straight out for Whitfield based on what we've seen of him so far is if we were planning on taking a very similar type with that pick if we didn't trade it. In this draft that would be Lochie O'Brien.

Those skinny outside types are the ones that have a much higher "bust factor" and probably not as high a ceiling, whereas the ones taken high who have the stronger bodies and win their own ball very rarely flop, so if I was planning on taking one of those (who could easily be the next Judd/Dusty/Pendles/Bont/Oliver- who all went 3-5) I would be hugely loathe to trade that pick for someone like Whitfield, who doesn't look to have the same sort of ceiling.

Sure it's a bit of a gamble, but there's a reason clubs rarely trade out of the top 5 of the draft. You're a much better chance of getting a "superstar" there than anywhere else in the draft.

Last edited:
perhaps if it's true we're going hard for him instead of Kelly it's because we believe we've got someone like Fyfe over the line and don't want to have to spend another mil a year on a Kelly, when we could get a not-that-much-inferior Whitfield a fair bit cheaper.

Aaahhh, the delusions and fantasies of St Kilda supporters :thumbsu:

Never stop. No matter what mood I'm in, I can always get a good laugh at the scope and grandeur of the St Kilda list a couple of years from now when all the plans fall neatly into place.:p:)

Never stop. No matter what mood I'm in, I can always get a good laugh at the scope and grandeur of the St Kilda list a couple of years from now when all the plans fall neatly into place.:p:)
Thanks for your contribution. I'm sure we won't land anyone with a couple of mil cap space or more and 3 tradeable first rounders, one of them possibly in the top 3/4.

Please tell us how it's done... we all live in awe of what GWS has been able to do against such adversity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep on dreaming.
Yeah, I'm sure we couldn't pull off anything really great at the trade table. Wait, didn't we turn picks 10 and 68 last year into a possible top 3 pick this year and a couple of other 2nd rounders?

Just think for a second what your reaction would have been this time last year if one of us came on here and said we'd pull off a deal like that. You would have been wetting your pants and running off to your board to tell the other 3 on there about it.

At the end of the day, if we really want anyone in the comp who is available we have the cap space and tradeable assets to be able to land them if we're prepared to put the necessary offer that they will find too good to refuse on the table. Just as you guys did for a Tom Scully, Sydney did with Buddy or GCS did with Ablett.

Yeah, I'm sure we couldn't pull off anything really great at the trade table. Wait, didn't we turn picks 10 and 68 last year into a possible top 3 pick this year and a couple of other 2nd rounders?

Just think for a second what your reaction would have been this time last year if one of us came on here and said we'd pull off a deal like that. You would have been wetting your pants and running off to your board to tell the other 3 on there about it.

At the end of the day, if we really want anyone in the comp who is available we have the cap space and tradeable assets to be able to land them if we're prepared to put the necessary offer that they will find too good to refuse on the table. Just as you guys did for a Tom Scully, Sydney did with Buddy or GCS did with Ablett.
Nice melt. Tissue?

So, I'm not really seeing the point of this thread? It's basically populated by a couple of Saints supporters saying that they can get anyone they want - but they don't want Lachie Whitfield. Great. :) Can we close the thread then?
Haha, spot on. If Whitfield decides to part ways with GWS i hope he somehow lands at the hawks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jack Newnes plays a very similar role to Whitfield and has similar attributes (big tank, very good kick) and has had two top 6 B&F finishes and is only 1year older than Lachie and their numbers at the equivalent stages of their careers are very similar, and I doubt we'd get a fitst rounder for him right now, let alone a top 10 pick.

Whitfield is a much much better player than Newnes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think we'd want to give up the top 5ish pick, but highly doubt 10-12ish would be enough as he's contracted, if he comes back and kills it maybe we take the risk and trade our firsts for this and next year with something else coming back, maybe GWS' pick 16-18? not sure he's worth as much as Treloar was i.e. the two firsts with a second back as opposed to a late first, but again he's contracted so that'll make it harder. Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back