Recommitted Lachie Whitfield [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

No sane young player would consider Hawthorn. You have just commenced a rebuild and made one of the worst trade busts in recent memory which will further elongate your stay at the tail of the competition ladder.

Money and home cannot compensate any player for that.

If he ever left and I don't believe he will it would be to a team with some hope.
What a load of crap. Hawthorn are still the most attractive club for ANY player looking to move to a club that makes the right decisions most of the time. The Jaeger deal isn't open and shut either, give it time plus it has nothing to do with why players would consider hawthorn or not.

What a load of crap. Hawthorn are still the most attractive club for ANY player looking to move to a club that makes the right decisions most of the time. The Jaeger deal isn't open and shut either, give it time plus it has nothing to do with why players would consider hawthorn or not.

Though i agree that the Jaeger deal still has a way to go before it can be judged properly.

No way are the Hawks the most attractive club to a player right now.
Just like North they have just started their drop down the ladder.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Worth mentioning we got a 2nd round pick back in exchange. We are also only half way through the season, those picks can still move up (very likely will not get lower). You are also assuming he will play 5 games, he has played 4 at the moment, where do you pull an extra game from? The goal is to have him playing some time later in the season, he could still get to 10 games. Even if he doesn't play another game for the rest of the season it doesn't mean it is a bust, we are not playing finals this season. All that matters is that we get his body fit long term.

My point was we will not know the result of this trade for a few years still at least. What if in 3-5 years time he is the captain of the club, winning b&f's and brownlows? A lot of people are saying the Boyd deal is worth it for the dogs because he lead them to a premiership with a good 6 weeks of footy. What if Jaeger does the same thing? How does a good 4-6 weeks at the end of a season where he wins us a premiership affect the trade?

We will not know how good or bad the trade is for the Hawks until he is no longer at the club.

No disrespect mate but you sound a bit like the Captain of the Titanic after it just hit the iceberg and is upright descending into the frozen waters. There is horror all around, people perishing everywhere and Jack Dawson & Rose DeWitt Bukater clinging on for dear life.

We just need some Celine Dion background music and it would be perfect.

Seriously though, it is a terrible deal that you've done given there is so much involved and so little returned. Even in the games O'Meara has played he is a shadow of the player he was.

No they absolutely are not.

If you were looking at heading back to Victoria Richmond and Essendon would probably be the two most attractive big clubs Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Geelong would be attractive for being competitive now, Collingwood, Carlton and maybe St Kilda for where they already are in rebuilds.

North Melbourne are a long way off the pace and Hawthorn are at the beginning of a rebuild.

If I'm a 22/23 year old player, particularly one that has just been through a build that is precisely the last place I want to be heading, past successes aside.

Suspect nothing as he has indicated he wants to stay, and he's way too good to push out the door. Hypothetically if he wanted to go then may well be player. Bruest the obvious but that moment might have passed, and I dont think he wants to. From what Leon has said we might be interested in a player with a few years left while we're in our window. He referred to the Hawks players having great years in their early thirties today.
Obviously Whitfield will have to want to leave and want to play for hawthorn. I don't know how he is feeling im sure you have a beeter gage of where he is at but speculation will remain untill he is off the market.

With that considered i dont think GWS want more picks and thus more 18 year olds they want the best possible players on there list to push for flags.

Thats why i speculate hawks future 1st wont be involved. If this avenue is explored.

Obviously Whitfield will have to want to leave and want to play for hawthorn. I don't know how he is feeling im sure you have a beeter gage of where he is at but speculation will remain untill he is off the market.

With that considered i dont think GWS want more picks and thus more 18 year olds they want the best possible players on there list to push for flags.

Thats why i speculate hawks future 1st wont be involved. If this avenue is explored.
Perhaps you'd like to buy a bridge?

You are not aware that a contract for 2018 is, by definition, "off the market"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they absolutely are not.

If you were looking at heading back to Victoria Richmond and Essendon would probably be the two most attractive big clubs Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Geelong would be attractive for being competitive now, Collingwood, Carlton and maybe St Kilda for where they already are in rebuilds.

North Melbourne are a long way off the pace and Hawthorn are at the beginning of a rebuild.

If I'm a 22/23 year old player, particularly one that has just been through a build that is precisely the last place I want to be heading, past successes aside.

8bfa5c36ef151b1ebf6bad4ec5a15a46.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Keep telling yourself that son. Hawthorne are currently as attractive a destination as Saudi Arabia is to Paris Hilton.

Did people miss the bit where Whitfield said he might return to Melbourne when he's 35 or 40 after his playing days are pretty much done?

18 years is a long time to wait to trade for a 40 year old.

Here is a thread on the trade board. If you dont like the speculation dont read.

No point coming here and having a sook because he is a topic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
How is he a topic?

He is a contracted player who has come out in the media in the last 2 weeks, saying he does not want to return to Melbourne. And if he did he would be 35-40.
The original murmur (I wouldn't even call it a rumour) was stated by a dejected St Kilda fan from within the media who just throws darts at our list and hopes one sticks. He is a myth.

What eventuates from that? It rises up feelings in supporters of minnow clubs as they work themselves up in to a lather about the potential of a player joining their club...Even when the player himself has said otherwise.

So... Unless this thread starts getting hijacked by Swans and Lions and Suns supporters, all of the VFL flogs on here that think he is a chance to go to Melbourne just skulk back in to your corners.

He does not want to go to Melbourne.
He is contracted.
He is not a topic.

If he is a topic, then I am going to start a thread on EVERY player in the competition.

Let's see how long a Patrick Dangerfield "contracted" thread would stay open. He is as much chance of leaving Geelong as Whitfield is of leaving the Giants. Then, I'll ring up SEN and get the rumour moving along...A bullshit thread like that would be closed within seconds. Yet because this thread is about yet another Giants player, it is allowed to remain open.

What a joke.

Once again, I reiterate...
DOES NOT WANT TO RETURN TO MELBOURNE
IS CONTRACTED
IS NOT A TOPIC

How is he a topic?

He is a contracted player who has come out in the media in the last 2 weeks, saying he does not want to return to Melbourne. And if he did he would be 35-40.
The original murmur (I wouldn't even call it a rumour) was stated by a dejected St Kilda fan from within the media who just throws darts at our list and hopes one sticks. He is a myth.

What eventuates from that? It rises up feelings in supporters of minnow clubs as they work themselves up in to a lather about the potential of a player joining their club...Even when the player himself has said otherwise.

So... Unless this thread starts getting hijacked by Swans and Lions and Suns supporters, all of the VFL flogs on here that think he is a chance to go to Melbourne just skulk back in to your corners.

He does not want to go to Melbourne.
He is contracted.
He is not a topic.

If he is a topic, then I am going to start a thread on EVERY player in the competition.

Let's see how long a Patrick Dangerfield "contracted" thread would stay open. He is as much chance of leaving Geelong as Whitfield is of leaving the Giants. Then, I'll ring up SEN and get the rumour moving along...A bullshit thread like that would be closed within seconds. Yet because this thread is about yet another Giants player, it is allowed to remain open.

What a joke.

Once again, I reiterate...
DOES NOT WANT TO RETURN TO MELBOURNE
IS CONTRACTED
IS NOT A TOPIC
Dont complain to me i didnt make the thread.

Btw nice melt but quit the QQ. Plz.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back