Past #17: Lachie Young - NM trade #63 for LY in '20 trade period - delisted end '23 - 39 NM games / 1 NM goal - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

As revealed by AFL.com.au, Corr's arrival will be further bolstered by the addition of Western Bulldogs youngster Lachie Young who could sign for the club as a delisted free agent after knocking back a deal at the Whitten Oval.

As revealed by AFL.com.au, Corr's arrival will be further bolstered by the addition of Western Bulldogs youngster Lachie Young who could sign for the club as a delisted free agent after knocking back a deal at the Whitten Oval.
A fair bit of effort has been put in on the previous page - it would be a travesty of justice if Young is not signed on now.

Lachie Young: The I

Not much news on this? Trade radio was discussing us this morning and said our ins so far are Corr and Lachie Young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding the thread title, didn't we find out that regardless of whether he was offered a main list spot he had the option to reject it and become a DFA anyway?

Copy/paste from an article on AFL.com. I suspect this refers to a contract as a rookie as opposed to a senior list contract:

A second-year rookie not accepting a third-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

If the Dogs can't prove that there was an offer then I imagine it would be straightforward as a delisted free agent at the time of the first list lodgement later this month. If they can it would probably be a swap of very late picks as we would otherwise take him in the PSD.

Some chatter of this being done today or tomorrow on the trade radio if I heard correctly

Some chatter of this being done today or tomorrow on the trade radio if I heard correctly

I assume given the delay, it's been determined we have actually had to trade for him?

Trade radio said the dirty dogs offered Young a spot on the primary list after he rejected their initial rookie list offer and now we have to trade for him.
I'm assuming this happened after they became aware he was coming to us as a DFA.

Trade radio said the dirty dogs offered Young a spot on the primary list after he rejected their initial rookie list offer and now we have to trade for him.
I'm assuming this happened after they became aware he was coming to us as a DFA.

If I was Brady, I'd be getting the AFL to rule on the legality of the primary list offer coming after a third year of rookie list offers.

Well this isn't open to endless manipulation.

If I was Brady, I'd be getting the AFL to rule on the legality of the primary list offer coming after a third year of rookie list offers.
Absolutely. The rule posted by GR seems pretty clear cut with no ambiguity. You become a DFA when you knock back a rookie contract for a 3rd year. I don't see how a subsequent offer can change that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back